Keep meeting people who have changed their future aspirations because of their MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most of the posters on this site usually get at least a 30 which is considered the minimum to get into an MD school. Obviously there are other variables that determine the outcome. A "30" on this forum is just a "meh" score. I have yet to meet one person that even broke the 26 mark on the MCAT. These individuals are not dummies by any stretch of the imagination. One individual that I met graduated one year early with a 3.75 (honors). However He ended up receiving a 22 on the MCAT. He's contemplating retaking or going Caribbean. I asked what happened during the test and he said it was the pace that destroyed him. He majored in Bio so he doesn't have many options (plan B's). Anyone else know any others with similar stories it's kind of frightening. Others that I have met have completely changed course i.e. law school, dental school, even elementary education

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is a small, relatively "high end" segment of the pre-med population. The average pre-med is pretty much just like the people you have been meeting. Most don't make it.

Reactions: 2 users
Keep in mind that a score of 30 is in the 80th percentile of the mcat. For various reasons, students that are/will be successful MD applicants tend to aggregate here on SDN in disproportionate numbers. Your experience with other premeds isn't surprising, what's more important is not to be discouraged by the statistics. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also it should be noted that the average MCAT score of an accepted applicant is only 31, so 30 is absolutely not the minimum score to be accepted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 30-31 the average accepted for just MD schools? I'm pretty sure you can get into DO schools with a score below 30. It seems like everyone here studies for the MCAT for like 3 months at 8 hours a day so it's not surprising the see such high scores here.

We need @TheRobin here. That is all.

Maybe you should turn on the BatSign-...err...RobinSignal...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, thats why it infuriates (ok more like a mild displeasure) me whenever I see people say "Yeah I got a 32, its easy! You can do it!" or "You got a 25 and your GPA is a 3.7? Clearly theres something wrong with you/you did something wrong/this raises red flags/your school must've been easy easy" and other nonsense I see gets posted here.

But a lot of people have big problems with the MCAT and I know 2 people who couldn't break 26 and were smart individuals, but I knew a person who scored 34 and said it wasn't too difficult. There must be a name for the fallacy where people think just because they can do it, everyone else can.

Back to OP's post, I know of some who have decided to pursue different fields after not doing as well as they hoped to on the MCAT. Are they smart? Yeah, no doubt. The med school process is tough, though. Only something like 42% of all applicants get a spot.

"There must be a name for the fallacy where people think just because they can do it, everyone else can.

Let's call it the Ra's al Ghul fallacy. "Your training is nothing. The will is everything."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
[quote="darklabel, post: 14817078, member: 444565"There must be a name for the fallacy where people think just because they can do it, everyone else can.

Let's call it the Ra's al Ghul fallacy. "Your training is nothing. The will is everything."[/quote]

Cool job quoting yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* the MCAT is the last barrier for me. Studying over the summer and taking it in sept. of 2014.. this is exactly what I'm afraid of.. wish me luck.

It happens, the MCAT is a rough exam. As much as it can be discouraging that so many people fail, there are a lot of resources out there to help you try to do your best if you're really struggling. Ultimately, there's no shame in not getting accepted. In fact, for some people not going to medical school will be the best thing that's ever happened to them.

Rather than feeling extra worried by seeing how other people around you did on MCAT, I would focus solely on your progress and performance. If you swim in your own lane fastest without paying attention to other lanes nearby, you will do just fine.

Good luck!

To be truly honest, if they chose to change professions before considering DO, then they really didn't want to be a doctor that badly.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey, at least you don't have to take it in 2015 like me.......
I'm right there with you. I'm actually a bit excited about it, though. The changes are supposed to reflect a more biological systems approach. I think things like ball velocities on hills will be replaced by blood pressure and joint movement questions.

Reactions: 1 users
To be truly honest, if they chose to change professions before considering DO, then they really didn't want to be a doctor that badly.
In that case it seems likely that they didn't care enough to do their research and come across that educational route.

I'm right there with you. I'm actually a bit excited about it, though. The changes are supposed to reflect a more biological systems approach. I think things like ball velocities on hills will be replaced by blood pressure and joint movement questions.

Not sure where you got this from but I would love to read more about it. source?

I would be pretty upset if I had to take the 2015 MCAT. Would have hated part of my score riding on a still experimental section.

Age has taught me that people who change their career aspirations usually weren't willing to give up what it takes to make it. As my favorite character on Once Upon A Time always says.."All [careers] come with a price." Ok, maybe I modified that a little...

NO! That's horrible! Why would we want Doctor's who know about Biological systems? Everyone knows that Surgeons are doing OChem and Physics problems in-between surgeries haha! Seriously though, I've taken both Psychology and Sociology so hopefully I'll do alright on the new sections!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, thats why it infuriates (ok more like a mild displeasure) me whenever I see people say "Yeah I got a 32, its easy! You can do it!" or "You got a 25 and your GPA is a 3.7? Clearly theres something wrong with you/you did something wrong/this raises red flags/your school must've been easy easy" and other nonsense I see gets posted here.

But a lot of people have big problems with the MCAT and I know 2 people who couldn't break 26 and were smart individuals, but I knew a person who scored 34 and said it wasn't too difficult. There must be a name for the fallacy where people think just because they can do it, everyone else can.

Heh its like the people in the WAMC forum that constantly post things like:

"I have a 3.5 GPA from a top 50 university so i'm expecting a 32-36 on the MCAT."

Not sure where you got this from but I would love to read more about it. source?
Just a quick excerpt. It appears that all the sections (including the physics section) will ask questions based around how the principles apply to humans and other living systems. Sounds nice.

Content Categories

•  Category 4A focuses on motion, its causes, and various forms of energy and their interconversions.

•  Category 4B focuses on the behavior of fluids, which is relevant to the functioning of the pulmonary and circulatory systems.

•  Category 4C emphasizes the nature of electrical currents and voltages, how energy can be converted into electrical forms that can be used to perform chemical transformations or work, and how electrical impulses can be transmitted over long distances in the nervous system.

•  Category 4D focuses on the properties of light and sound and how the interactions of light and sound with matter can be used by an organism to sense its environment, and how these interactions can also be used to generate structural
    information or images.

•  Category 4E focuses on sub-atomic particles, the atomic nucleus, nuclear radiation, the structure of the atom, and how the configuration of any particular atom can be used to predict its physical and chemical properties.

With these building blocks, medical students will be able to apply their understanding of basic physical principles such as mass flow, transport, electricity, biomechanics, and signal detection and processing to the understanding of living systems and how perturbations from the normal functioning of specialized tissues contribute to disease.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/266006/data/2015previewguide.pdf

p. 63

i think most people don't take the MCAT as seriously as SDNers and other 'legit' pre-meds. Many think its like the ACT/SAT where no studying can get you a good score, or that "innate intelligence" is enough. On the MCAT its simply not.

I think a LOT of pre-meds think that getting into med school is relatively easy, about as hard as getting into a respectable undergrad school. This could be accomplished with little to no work in HS. However, we all know this isn't the case. It takes a LOT to get into MD/DO school, although i will say it is entirely doable only if you know what you are doing and what needs to be done.

i think most people don't take the MCAT as seriously as SDNers and other 'legit' pre-meds. Many think its like the ACT/SAT where no studying can get you a good score, or that "innate intelligence" is enough. On the MCAT its simply not.

I think a LOT of pre-meds think that getting into med school is relatively easy, about as hard as getting into a respectable undergrad school. This could be accomplished with little to no work in HS. However, we all know this isn't the case. It takes a LOT to get into MD/DO school, although i will say it is entirely doable only if you know what you are doing and what needs to be done.
Yea, I agree.
Also, I don't understand why people even take the MCAT without scoring decently on practice exams.

Wasn't a premed in college but still I know at least 5 people quit being premed because of their mcat, 2 in pharm schools now, 1 in PhD program, 2 working other jobs. What I find annoying is when I tell people about my mcat (31), they ask me what the highest can be, then look at me like 'poor girl she's not that good/ not gonna make it'

Wasn't a premed in college but still I know at least 5 people quit being premed because of their mcat, 2 in pharm schools now, 1 in PhD program, 2 working other jobs. What I find annoying is when I tell people about my mcat (31), they ask me what the highest can be, then look at me like 'poor girl she's not that good/ not gonna make it'
If you're pre-pharmacy then why did you take the MCAT? Congrats on that 31 BTW.

If you're pre-pharmacy then why did you take the MCAT? Congrats on that 31 BTW.
Long story, back maybe in 2010 I joined SDN and was thinking about pharm school, but turned out I don't like it that much, working for a while and now decide to pursue medicine. I am applying this cycle. Just back to SDN recently and not sure how to fix that. Can anyone help me?

Long story, back maybe in 2010 I joined SDN and was thinking about pharm school, but turned out I don't like it that much, working for a while and now decide to pursue medicine. I am applying this cycle. Just back to SDN recently and not sure how to fix that. Can anyone help me?

Try going here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/account/personal-details

If you scroll down, you'll find a section on "Status" that you can change to reflect the designation that you like.

A "30" on this forum is just a "meh" score. I have yet to meet one person that even broke the 26 mark on the MCAT.

Same here. I have talked to a lot of other premeds at my school, and I keep getting surprised when they say my score of 29 is "awesome". It doesn't feel awesome.....it feels like it's on the low end of "respectable". From those I've talked to, the vast majority are applying DO. There are a few who are still planning to apply MD with their mid-20's scores as well. I worry for them, but ultimately some people do make it with those scores, so who am I to say they won't be one of the lucky ones?

Yep, I have met a ton of people who do really well in their pre recs, volunteer, do all of the other hoops to jump through, and when it comes to the MCAT, they end up with a 18 or something.

Case in point, a very bright individual colleague of mine had a 3.8 s and c GPA, accepted to medical school research fellowship with me, president of all sorts of clubs, but ended up with a 20 on his MCAT. He waited out a year and took the MCAT again: 22. He is going for his master in public health and is planning on taking the MCAT a third time next year. he currently works at the med school. I bet it crushes him every day.

From what I gathered on this site, if you don't get at the very least a 26 on the MCAT, it is going to be Extremely difficult for someone to get into medical school, MD or DO.

I have learned to accept the MCAT as a necessary evil. Its the test pre meds deserve, but not the one it needs right now. The MCAT is the gatekeeper, keeping those who do not pass its trials out of medical school.

Destroy it before it destroys you.

I would say the MCAT is one last big hurdle for premeds. Freshman A&P was filled to the brim with premeds. After one semester of lecture and labs it seemed like A&P 2 had only 75% of the class return and even fewer premeds. Chem 1/2 also saw a dramatic drop of total class size and premeds. O Chem 1 seemed to be the final class that cut the premed ranks severely. After all of these classes, then continuing to take 15-18hrs of upper level science, volunteering and working seemed to burn everyone else out. It's really no surprise to me that after doing all of this for semester after semester, only to have one final test determine your fate is such a large hurdle to overcome. With their GPA, lab experience, prof connections, it makes a lot of sense to enter the work force making an average middle class salary where you can put your 8hr in and be done each day and have free weekends.

Personally, I was both a chemistry and physics TA and tutor. The most frequent student I saw were premeds or other biology-esque pre-professionals. They came to me and told me this constant, that constant; they had memorized tables worth of constants. The problem is physics and chemistry doesn't reward memorization but rather problem solving ability. They had all the equations of motion memorized but when asked to use them to solve a problem they were useless. The ones that could use them though really only understood the example problems. When I asked them to solve a novel problem they hadn't ever seen before they froze. My point being is that I think the MCAT requires a combination of memorization and problem solving. Students have to be able to memorize plenty of details but the real test of the MCAT is applying these facts to new situations. It's my opinion that this is where the average premed falters.

It seems that most of the posters on this site usually get at least a 30 which is considered the minimum to get into an MD school. Obviously there are other variables that determine the outcome. A "30" on this forum is just a "meh" score. I have yet to meet one person that even broke the 26 mark on the MCAT. These individuals are not dummies by any stretch of the imagination. One individual that I met graduated one year early with a 3.75 (honors). However He ended up receiving a 22 on the MCAT. He's contemplating retaking or going Caribbean. I asked what happened during the test and he said it was the pace that destroyed him. He majored in Bio so he doesn't have many options (plan B's). Anyone else know any others with similar stories it's kind of frightening. Others that I have met have completely changed course i.e. law school, dental school, even elementary education
But they're not quite brilliant either are they? Bottom line is you can't always get what you want and the exam is there to be taken and taken well if you wish to succeed in this process. That is true for any field, you just substitute the MCAT for some other thing

After getting raped by the Experiemental section, yeah I feel bad for you guys.

The 30$ from Amazon was great though.
Didn't they raise the price 30$ from the pevious year though? They kind of just gave us back our own money.

Didn't they raise the price 30$ from the pevious year though? They kind of just gave us back our own money.

Yep, they did. Strangely, most people on my test day didn't take the experimental section.

I did better at the experimental section than the PS section. Wish it would have been included.

Yea, I agree.
Also, I don't understand why people even take the MCAT without scoring decently on practice exams.

You're absolutely right. Doing well on the MCAT pretty much requires studying and practice. It is a very unique exam in that sense.

The GRE is a whole different story. It requires minimal prerequisite knowledge and is a much simpler test. Very comparable to the SAT/ACT and goes well with the "don't need to study for it" attitude.

I speak from personal experience since I've taken both MCAT and GRE.

The MCAT is just another challenge to overcome. A lot of people struggle, myself included, but sometimes you come out on top. You never know if you don't try. There are lots of practice tests out there solely for the purpose of allowing you to get exposure to the types of questions as well as the pace you need to develop to finish the exam. 2015 is a whole different story, but if you plan on taking it before then, there are TONS of resources out there to help you succeed if you put in the work. Besides, making it through medicine means taking many many more standardized tests that are much more difficult than the MCAT. Good luck, OP! Don't let anyone else dissuade you if you want it!

Heh its like the people in the WAMC forum that constantly post things like:

"I have a 3.5 GPA from a top 50 university so i'm expecting a 32-36 on the MCAT."

I despise these types of posts. At any given time there are always 1 or 2 on the front page.

Yep, they did. Strangely, most people on my test day didn't take the experimental section.
I randomly guessed on every question of the experimental section. Still got the gift card for a 'good faith effort' or whatever, because I paused a minute between guessing.

AAMC can kiss my ass.

I randomly guessed on every question of the experimental section. Still got the gift card for a 'good faith effort' or whatever, because I paused a minute between guessing.

AAMC can kiss my ass.
so you deliberately interfered with a validity test that directly affects your successors just so you can stick it to the AAMC? very mature. i'm so happy you're joining my profession

Reactions: 5 users
so you deliberately interfered with a validity test that directly affects your successors just so you can stick it to the AAMC? very mature. i'm so happy you're joining my profession

Agreed, there's no real need for this...