Keep my exam date or reschedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on 4/11. Because I have to work a couple of 12 hr shifts per week, and I will not begin prep til right after Christmas, I've considered moving it back to 5/8. My pre - health committee won't interview me, meaning no composite letter, until my scores are in. I was told these dates haven't been set yet and that it's likely I could miss the May interview dates if I move the exam back. What's your recommendation? I'm wanting to dedicate as much time as possible to preparing and preparing well yet I dont want to delay my application getting to amcas, getting behind on getting secondaries, etc. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It all comes down to how you feel about your prep. Do you have to make a decision now in order to get in line for an interview? Can you wait and see how you're doing on full lengths in February/March and make a decision then? A lower MCAT score than you're capable of isn't going to be overcome by applying a few weeks earlier.

Hope you can figure it all out!

Reactions: 1 user
Since no one has responded yet, I'll take a shot at it. I know the majority of medical schools don't pull for interview dates until maybe 1 July. I believe as long as you complete your AMCAS and primary information required, the May test date wouldn't be too terribly bad even with the later committee interview dates. If you know they can write a letter in a week or two, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd say you still have plenty of time to study for the MCAT in April and just need to focus more on that and gaining mastery of the material in a little over 3 months time.

It seems like you're ahead of it all and know you need to plan things out, so I commend you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. After sleeping on it, I decided to move it back to May 8. I've felt much more relaxed about things since. :)

Thanks for the replies. After sleeping on it, I decided to move it back to May 8. I've felt much more relaxed about things since. :)

Glad you came to a decision that makes sense for you. I have a feeling you'll be pre-complete for a lot of the AMCAS stuff and have secondaries pre-filled out while waiting for your score. Just keep to a schedule and you'll be fine. I'm glad the decision made you rest easier though....it'll help you study better with a clear mind.