Keep or Sell Organic Chem. Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Circuspeanut

College Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new member here, and I need some advice. I'm getting ready to go into Pharmacy school and I want to know if I should sell my Organic Chemistry Book. I spent nearly $1000 on books this semester, so It'd be nice to get some of that back, but I hate to sell the book if I'm gonna need it later. Can anyone who's already in Pharmacy school let me know what books they kept or wish they would have?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm a new member here, and I need some advice. I'm getting ready to go into Pharmacy school and I want to know if I should sell my Organic Chemistry Book. I spent nearly $1000 on books this semester, so It'd be nice to get some of that back, but I hate to sell the book if I'm gonna need it later. Can anyone who's already in Pharmacy school let me know what books they kept or wish they would have?

yea me too im also wondering whether its a good idea to sell my general and organic chemistry books?? Would they be helpful for pharm schools in case i need to do some reviewing of the basics?
Also do pharm schools tell you what books to buy for all classes before each semester/quarter starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep all my books. Even the ones I know I'll never use again. I figure I can reference them when my kids are going through school and I've forgotten the basics. I doubt L'hospitals rule will be changing in the next 15-20 years.

yea me too im also wondering whether its a good idea to sell my general and organic chemistry books?? Would they be helpful for pharm schools in case i need to do some reviewing of the basics?
Also do pharm schools tell you what books to buy for all classes before each semester/quarter starts?

I would not sell the general chemistry book, unless you just thought it was a really bad book. I've used mine extensively in reviewing for the PCAT and several times already this first semester of pharmacy school.

I would not sell the general chemistry book, unless you just thought it was a really bad book. I've used mine extensively in reviewing for the PCAT and several times already this first semester of pharmacy school.

Good idea, but it might be wiser to sell your books if you can get a decent amount of money back. Then go on half.com and buy the previous verson for $5 if you really want to keep a copy around.

i keep only my science books. You should try buying your books online anyways. Even if you order a week into a semester they usually still come pretty timely

Keep your A&P book, as well. I've carried mine around with me this second semester of P1 year. My statistics book has been used once or twice. And, as already stated, the gen chem book has been useful. O-chem? Nah, but I did use it once for a review of stereochemistry. You'd find that material online somewhere, though.

If your chem books are strong on acid/base, stereochem and functional group details, keep them. Otherwise, it may not be much help.

I kept my Organic Books, out of habit. ;)

I tried to keep my A&P books, but a miscommunication b/w me and my family, saw them sold for $5 at a garage sale. :eek:

C'est le vie.

It's up to you whether u wanna sell it or not.
I always keep my math and natural science books.

Hey thanks for the replies, guess I'll keep the Organic. Found out today they'll only give me $20 for it. :rolleyes:

I'd sell mine except they are worthless now. I paid $150 for my organic book and now it's $5!!!

Hey thanks for the replies, guess I'll keep the Organic. Found out today they'll only give me $20 for it. :rolleyes:
I'm assuming you are selling it back to the bookstore? I would sell it on ebay or to other students. The bookstore gave me $5 for a book I paid $120 for (yeah, they sold it used for $90). :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you are selling it back to the bookstore? I would sell it on ebay or to other students. The bookstore gave me $5 for a book I paid $120 for (yeah, they sold it used for $90). :eek:

Yup, campus bookstore. Ebay is a good idea!
A friend of mine in my Bio class sold her Bio book back to the campus store before Christmas break. Then, like 5 minutes later, she realized she would need the book again for the spring semester and tried to give them their money back ($18). They told her the cost of the book used was $60 and they couldn't undo her transaction!:mad:

I will sell any other book but definitely keep organic textbook because i have a feeling one might need it in the pharmacy school. Pharmacy is more about organic chemistry (even more than inorganic) than any other course you have taken for your prerequisite.

Most book stores rip you off so much, half.com rocks. It's a great way for many poor students to make a little money to buy future books. It also benefits other students since 2nd hand books sold online by other students aren't usually a rip off like the book stores.

I think we should promote online purchase of books more. Not to mention amazon.com
gettextbooks.com
bigwords.com etcc
where u can search and compare prices.

At least that's how I've been doing it, I hope it help you guys out.

I will sell any other book but definitely keep organic textbook because i have a feeling one might need it in the pharmacy school. Pharmacy is more about organic chemistry (even more than inorganic) than any other course you have taken for your prerequisite.

honestly I don't think I've used a bit of organic so far, but have needed quite a bit of gen chem knowledge (acids, bases, and buffers etc.)

I find it interesting that so many people have referenced old books, because I haven't opened a book other than a lab book for a procedure

I've been selling books on Amazon and have been getting rid of them pretty fast, usually for close to what the book is actually worth. While I usually keep science books, I'd guess you can use the internet just as easily for any quick references you'd have to make in pharmacy school. I would see what they're going for used on amazon and put it up there if its worth it.

i lent my organic book to a friend. i cant sell it. its worth a buck on amazon. i do prefer amazon over ebay though. if you dont have to pay a posting fee when you sell and your listing will be up for 3 months rather than just a week or two for ebay.

Another option is to purchase the books that were written for use outside of the US. They're still in English, but for some reason they are about half the price- or less, even with shipping, and the books are the exact same thing, just usually they're in paperback. One website is ex libris, but you'd have to google it to get the actual IRL (sorry). You just need to make sure you're getting the right edition.

You really do not need to keep most books, Wikipedia is better than any book your teacher required.

You really do not need to keep most books, Wikipedia is better than any book your teacher required.

haha true true.. but thing is, anybody can write on wikipedia. a friend of mine did that. its not really fool proof. but i read it like a text anyway :)