Keep update emails short? (only a few sentences?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the forum archives and found that people were instructing others to write very short emails. Some of these only being 2-3 sentences with their only purpose being an update...

I heard from other outside sources, however, that the update should be treated like another essay. That I should relate everything to my interest in the school in a large paragraph~

Considering that I have greater trust in this forum than the outside sources, I am leaning towards the short emails.

I would just like to hear some input on the subject...

Members don't see this ad.

I was also considering writing the update email with a small paragraph for each update, and 3-4 short sentences on my interest in the medical school at the end.

any inputs on to this?

BASICALLY I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO WRITE THIS
T_T

general consensus around here: no more than a page, try to just highlight the big things, and yes to your particular interest in that school towards the end.

however, i also have a friend who sent a 3 sentence total email to a few schools and ended up getting an interview 2 days later. wasn't even that specific other than mentioning the school's name...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try and put myself in an adcoms shoes. Imagine how busy they are during the application season. Imagine the countless number of emails they get. Imagine how they spend 10 seconds max skimming a 500 word email (~1 page) that was crafted into a literary masterpiece over several hours, and then spend another 10 seconds max writing a 1-2 sentence reply, if one is warranted at all.

Keep emails professional, but pithy. Do not multiply words. Most 500 word emails can be compressed into 100 words without any altering or diminishing of any content.

You'll get more attention, and maybe even more appreciation if you make their lives easier by not being super needy. Making people read an entire page of something that could have been said in 4-5 succinct sentences is being needy.