Keep your chins up and your heads held high! SDN support group

psilovethomas

fading
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I think we need to start a support group for current applicants.
We need to support each other through this process! Help others realize that not getting an interview or an acceptance is not the end of the world! Post words of encouragement! Post what you are thankful for! Post tips for relaxation or ways to get your mind off your applications/interviews/rejections.
I want this to be a positive thread, so no arguments, scuffles, accusations, or negative remarks of any kind!

breenie

Weenie 2015
Apr 5, 2010
MO
Status
Veterinary Student
Popcorn, soothing Pandora radio stations, and the thoughts that well, at least winter break is almost here!

That's what's getting me through. :)

bonaparte

UC Davis c/o 2015
Mar 30, 2010
Davis
Status
Veterinary Student
You know what is really lovely? Dinner parties. Seriously.

Nothing like good food, red wine, and fantastic conversation with friends to help you de-stress. :)

spicykimchi

Inactive
Nov 5, 2010
California
Status
I'm sending all my love and appreciation to everybody who applied to vet school and didn't get in or doesn't know if they got in yet. I wish you the best of luck next time you try and hope you find some awesome opportunities to improve your application to the point it sparkles and shines.

goldnretrivrgrl

Penn Vet V'15
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm thankful for all the amazing people that veterinary medicine can introduce you to! There are so many incredibly deserving people out there, especially this cycle.
On a non-vet related note, I love a good book. Nobody in a Stephen King novel is every worried about anything but avoiding getting killed by a zombie/ pyrokinesis/ or a giant St. Bernard with rabies

EllieGirl89

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!
Sep 1, 2010
Columbus, OH
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
Ughhh I'm so nervous. The more I'm waiting for this interview the more I feel like I can't do it. I keep imagining it going horribly and I know I shouldn't put that energy out into the universe. I'm really glad I have you guys to continue to give me hope and let me know that it IS possible.

Jul 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Whenever I start to get discouraged or depressed about not getting into vet school this cycle, I take a minute to breathe in and out...slowly. Then I go to the website of my local municipal shelter and look at all the cats and dogs that are up for adoption, many of which will be euthanized within the next 2-3 days. Our high-kill shelter is extremely underfunded and understaffed. Even the ones who are lucky enough to get adopted leave having contracted some type of infection (parasitic, respiratory, etc). I know what you're thinking. How the heck does that make me feel better?

Well, here's the thing. I'm really drawn to shelter medicine and think that might be what I'd like to end up doing after vet school. Shelters like the one in my town are in dire need of good vets. The pictures remind me why I can't get discouraged, why I need to continue to push myself and pursue my goals. Maybe then, one day, I'll be able to make a difference.

Idealistic, yes. Naive, maybe. But it helps me refocus. I think it's good to reflect back on what your motivation is for pursuing a career in veterinary medicine. Sometimes, it's easy to lose track of that in the midst of all this application madness.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
Pineland, NC
Status
Veterinarian
I survive by making little goals. I actually envy those of you who are still in school. You at least have the ability to influence your future, or the illusion of such at least. I'm basically fishing with a bobber - line is in the water and now it's all waiting. To keep sane, I set up unrelated milestones. For example, I focused on my cousin's wedding this past weekend for most of Oct-Nov. Now I'm focused on making it through the next 2 days and going on vacation for a couple weeks. I also will be leaving the job I've been hating for the past 2 years and moving up the food chain. I've got a dive trip scheduled for MLK weekend down in Pensacola, FL. That leaves Feb open on the calendar, but I'm sure I can fill it. I still have to go through all the motions of moving to Augusta, GA for 6 months, in case I get one of those bad, yet familiar, letters. That's the big stressor - the unknown and the speed with which I'm going to have to react to either outcome.

fromthebox

In the Box
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2010
Anxiety Central
Status
Veterinarian
Nobody in a Stephen King novel is every worried about anything but avoiding getting killed by a zombie/ pyrokinesis/ or a giant St. Bernard with rabies
This is so true! I might have to pull The Stand off my bookshelf, just to pass time. Currently I'm watching Bones on Netflix or going to the gym just to get out of the house and away from the computer. Worst part: at work I have five computers, and LOTS of down time now that the students are gone for break.

RaiderTXgirl

TEXAS A&M c/o 2015!
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Status
Veterinary Student
I had to share this with you guys. Thought it might give someone a laugh!

I had a horrible dream last night that I was in prison (weird enough by itself), and I got a rejection letter from Texas A&M, which is my IS (they do everything via snail mail). I frantically got on my phone to call admissions because I did have an interview last year (yeah, apparently I had my CELL PHONE in prison), and they got mad at me and told me that starting a master's DIDN'T help this year, and it actually made things WORSE! :confused: AND, while I was on the phone, freaky prison people kept bugging me for cigarettes and "do you have a light??". I yelled at them "Hello! I'm on the phone with TEXAS A&M VET SCHOOL!" :laugh:

But that's not all. I woke up from this dream (obviously relieved it was only a dream), checked the mail, and had a SKINNY letter from A&M. You know what skinny means - "we only needed one sheet of paper to tell you that you were rejected. Fat envelopes are for people that get interviews". :scared: I tore it open, and it was only a notice telling me that all my pre-reqs were complete (based on their audit), and that fall transcripts are due Jan. 14!!!!

I almost had a heart attack. :eek:

(I seem to be having a lot of dreams lately, but the one with Conan O'Brien as my vet school interviewer was definitely better than this one! :laugh:)

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
(I seem to be having a lot of dreams lately, but the one with Conan O'Brien as my vet school interviewer was definitely better than this one! :laugh:)
I've started to have the vet school dreams myself. They're oddly normal except for the fact that none of the schools I dream about are the ones I've applied to :confused: Like I had a dream I got rejected from Auburn...weird.

Lab Rat83

AVC c/o 2017
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I tried posting this in the "Inspirational Songs" thread but I'm assuming it got archived because I can't find it.

I wanted to share something with all of you. Something that has become very important and special to me. Since I was old enough to think for myself, I've never been a religious person. But recently, stress and negativity has forced me to seek positive thoughts and feelings. This is the Native Prayer and I say it to myself at least once a day or anytime I'm feeling down. I find it empowers me and gives me the strength and motivation I need to keep going.

Oh Great Spirit,
Whose voice I hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me!
I am small and weak,
I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes
ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made
and my ears sharp to hear your voice. Make me wise so that I may understand the
things you have taught my people.

Let me learn the lessons you have hidden
in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy – myself.
Make me always ready to come to you with
clean hands and straight eyes.
So when life fades, as the fading sunset
my spirit may come to you
without shame.

–Chief Yellow Lark, Lakota Tribe