Keeping a running tab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental schools this year.
Would anyone like to keep a running tab,
you know keep one another posted on how
we are doing on the admissions process?
Right now I have a BA in psychology.
My overall GPA is a 2.9 and my science
gpa is ~2.6. However my science and overall
gpa's have been a 3.98 for the last ~90
credits, so I have definitely improved.
I have yet to take the DAT, thinking to take
it in the end of June. I am shooting for
Uconn. I would also like to go to Upenn
or UWashington. I am probably going to apply
to ~15 schools I can give a list of
schools and let anyone know if I get an
interview, how the interview goes, how the
DAT goes, or any info and would like to hear
info from anyone in the same boat.
There are not too many predents at my
university, so I do not get the chance to
get psyched up. But I am psyched! Right
now I am going to university full time
to try to boost my gpa. Peace, and keep in
touch if you want!
Tim. :eek: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

It is a definite plus that your gpa is on a up swing.
You will hear this often but apply early!!! Most schools take applications starting June 1. Since you plan to take DAT at the end of June, you should gather other parts of AADSAS application (do the application via-web, save lot of hassle with white outs, but get paper packet for your reference) be ready when you are done taking DAT. (There is also a thread here about application advices and post on stats of those who got into school this year)
If you apply early and do respectively well on DAT (19 or above) you should get some interviews.

Best regards.

Hi Tim,

It's great to hear that you're so excited about dental school :) How long has it been since you graduated with your Bachelor's? You mentioned an additional 90 credits... do you mean that you did it all post-bacc? I'm wondering because I'm thinking of taking some extra courses next year. Are you actually in a second degree program, or are they simply additional courses? Good luck with applications!

Mich

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally I had thought of being accepted
into a postbacc program at the university
I am at. But due to my extremely low
undergrad science gpa, the dean of the local
dental school advised me to take upper level
undergrad classes. I graduated in the fall
of 1998. I began taking more classes the
fall of 2000. I have been working in a group
home for the past two years. I really enjoy
working in the field, but it is not a
suitable career for me. It is not as
intellectually stimulating as I would like,
it is emotionally rewarding however. I just
felt out of place. I felt like I had
scientific knowledge that would go to waste.
I had thought about medical school, but I
do not think I would like working 100+ hours.
I am an older student with a newborn and
would like to be able to enjoy homelife. And the dentists I have meet have been really cool people. I am scheduled to shadow my dentist next Friday.
Tim.
:cool:

I shadowed my dentist recently. The experience was OK, not all that great. It seemed to me like he wanted to go to medical school. He kept trying to prove his intelligence to me. Overall he seemed pretty happy with his decision, I guess.
Oh a happier note I have finished my courses for the semester and I earned 3 A's and a B.
Now I am preparing for the DAT. I take that on June 28th. I am going to try to shadow another dentist. Hopefully the next experience will be better.
Tim.

I'm now a sophomore in college. I've already startEd preparing for DAT. As well as chosing the Dental Schools that I wish to apply to. However I was wondering if it was okay to take the DAT early but not have the scores sent to other schools. Just So I can get the feel of the test. Would that be considered okay. :rolleyes:

Makenze,

That would be a grave-mistake!!!!! Take the DAT when you are good and ready. Nearly all schools will know how many times you have taken the DAT. Taking it just to take it and not doing well could be detrimental. No---correction---WOULD be detrimental. If you take it and do o.k but then take it again and do worse------detrimental. If you take it---do o.k.----take it again and do better. It shows you initially weren't prepared and it may concern some school. Especially the top-tier schools. After all, they want the students who will pass the dental boards (sophomore,senior year of dental school) on their first try not 2nd or 3rd.

There are plenty of study-aids that will prepare you adequately. In fact there are cd-roms that give you an actual test----just like the real thing.

The least amount of times you take the DAT----the better. It will show you were prepared and like to do things well the first time.

R.R.B

I took the DAT and here are my scores,
Academic average 22
PAT 19
Bio 18
Chem 25
O Chem 21
QR 20
VR 24
Total science 20
Needless to say I am very happy with my
scores!
Tim.

Congratulations! :D

I just sent in my AADSAS application!
Now to get my committee letter finalized!
Can't wait for responses from schools!
Tim!

Anyone else send in their application yet?

Sending mine in tonight. How did you prepare fo the DAT, Topscore CD? And if so did you think the real deal was a tad bit easier? Also what schools are applying to?

DAT advice....KAPLAN is the way to go guys. very $ but well worth it if you take full advantage. by that i mean go to class and do the diagnostics, yes, but also go over all the videos, all the practice questions & explanations, and know their review book cold...basically do EVerything Kaplan has in its training library. They've got great computer exams that simulate the DAT perfectly. It's not an easy regimen, you'll have to blow off the rest of your life for a 1-2 mos., but well worth it (I hope!)...I stuck to it and got a 25 acad., 20pat, so it works. Good luck! :)

btw, if you just want the kaplan review book i can hook you up ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I used Barron's book for the DAT, Top Score Pro, Kaplan's DAT book that can be purchased at barnesandnoble.com, and 2 other books that I can't remember the names of (sorry, they weren't that good anyway).
I am applying to Temple, Uconn, Harvard, BU, Tufts, Upenn, Marquette, MCV/VCU, Ukentucky, and ULouisville.
You can buy my old DAT materials on ebay.com
Good luck,
Tim.

Hey, i like this idea of keeping each other posted and giving feedback on interviews, etc. I'm still filing secondaries...i'm going way overboard and applying to 15 (I'm a North Carolina resident):
UNC, Louisville, UMD, Michigan, UConn, Tufts, BU, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Pacific, Washington, UMissouri

Hey Waiting,

Secondaries are a BIIIIIAAATCH....especially UCSF. They make you write a fat paragraph for each of the questions that they ask! I remembered that it took me almost a week to finish them! :eek:

hey doggie,

thanks for the scoop on UCSF...but NOT what i wanted to hear!!! I just got hold of the ucla secondary yesterday and it's also a killer....at least i know what i'll be doing this weekend...... :rolleyes: :oops:

Hey

I applied to dental schools last year for this fall...I messed up my first two years at undergrad (boston U and Suny Bing), so I didn't get in...but now I just got into the postbacc program at Hunter College...hopefully I can pull up my grades and get in the next time. I got an 18 on the DAT, so maybe I'll take it again towards the end of my postbacc...but any inspiring/motivational advice so I don't screw up again? I plan on working my a@@ off during the postbacc and getting more experience. Good luck to all of you!!
;)

Hi everyone,
I shadowed an endodontist. He was a cool guy. He even bought me lunch! I don't know if I would like endodonty but he seemed to be really pleased with his decision.
Tim.

I have now interviewed at Uconn and UIndiana.
Still waiting on BU, Temple, Upenn, UMinnesota, VCU.
Rejected by Harvard, Marquette
On the waiting list at Uconn and UIndiana.

Thebeyonder!
Good luck! I'll pray for you. hope it works
Are there any schools that just care more about DAT scores but not GPA?

Thebeyonder:

Very best of luck to you! I can imagine the excitement and anxiety that you may be experiencing, but keep your chin up. You're halfway there. You've been granted interviews and wait-listed by 2 schools. This doesn't mean that you aren't good enough, but instead it is the way for the dental schools to say that they ARE interested. We all know that numbers are often the bottom line, but you are being wait-listed early in the game. You must realize that some of the prospects interviewed after you will look better on paper, but will have little social skills (a potential indication of poor chairside manner). Remain hopeful my friend, I wouldn't be surprised if you were offered a spot within the next month!

Also, my stats are very similar to yours (3.0/2.5). My first 2 years suffered as a result of working and going to school at the same time, but I finished strong. I've taken a few years off, and now, at 27, I am doing a post-bacc to improve my chances for admission. Can you share your interview experiences? When were you notified of the opportunity to interview? When did you interview? Was your GPA called into question during the interview?

Keep me posted!

Smile_doc

The interview I had at UofIndiana was very comfortable. There were three interviewers, one was a student. They were all very nice. After the interview a student gave me a tour of the dental school.
I think UofI contacted me in October and I interviewed Nov1st I think?
Uconn contacted me in late October and I interviewed in November.
The Uconn interview was intensive. The interviewers weren't as easy going as my first interview. There were two interviewers, and for that interview I expected it to be laid back, yet it definitely was not.
Any other questions? I will be happy to respond.

At the end of my Indiana interview my reversal in grades was questioned briefly. At the Uconn interview my record was called into question a few times.

Hi,
I have now been rejected by Harvard, Temple, Tufts, and Marquette.
Waiting list at: Uconn and UofI.

the Beyonder,
did u get an interview at Harvard? did u interview at the other schools as well? Just wondering but why do you think you didn't get into them?
I am sure you will be fine, where have you gotten into so far?!
Good luck!

Star