Keesler Rumors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edmadison

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard they are sending their residents hin and yon? We are supposed to get some of the peds residents in our program. Anyone else hear anything interesting? Will they close the base like they did with Homestead after hurricane Andrew?

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

edmadison said:
I've heard they are sending their residents hin and yon? We are supposed to get some of the peds residents in our program. Anyone else hear anything interesting? Will they close the base like they did with Homestead after hurricane Andrew?

Ed

I know they have canceled all USUHS student rotations there through Christmas. No idea on the other stuff though

i've heard some preliminary rumors that we may take a few as well.

we could handle the extra residents better than ed's program anyway :cool: :p

--your friendly neighborhood the more the merrier caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
On tuesday there will be a meeting in San Antonio (We and the IM residents who were sheltered at the hospital were aerovac'ed to Lackland on Friday and those who evacuated were told to get to SA by then) between peds residents and people from AFGME to determine where we go from here. What we are being told so far is that it is most likely that Keesler residencies are done, and that we will be prioritized to USAF residencies followed by sister service then civilian programs, and we will have the opportunity to explain why we want to go where. So, yes, it seems thus far that Army and Navy programs may inherit some of us. I don't know what the IM people are being told, this applies to peds.

J-Rad said:
On tuesday there will be a meeting in San Antonio (We and the IM residents who were sheltered at the hospital were aerovac'ed to Lackland on Friday and those who evacuated were told to get to SA by then) between peds residents and people from AFGME to determine where we go from here. What we are being told so far is that it is most likely that Keesler residencies are done, and that we will be prioritized to USAF residencies followed by sister service then civilian programs, and we will have the opportunity to explain why we want to go where. So, yes, it seems thus far that Army and Navy programs may inherit some of us. I don't know what the IM people are being told, this applies to peds.

any updates since the meeting?

Yes - they still know absolutely nothing about what will happen or how long we'll be here. It took about three hours for them to tell us that... Oh and the program directors are going to meet tomorrow afternoon.

It's now a matter of formalities. We will be scattered. Portsmouth Naval will be gaining the most of us (in 1st and 3rd year). Although it sucks having our lives uprooted like this I'm trying to see the silver lining in as much as I had wanted to go to Portsmouth to begin with (I interviewed there in October, but there was only one unfunded AF opening in my application cycle). Anybody on this board from there?