Kentucky or Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which dental program is better?

• Kentucky

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Louisville

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

oldschool99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just looking for some insite about the two schools. I like both the areas so that will not be why I would choose one place or the other. What I'm looking for is pros and cons about each dental program and which one you think is better.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to Louisville. Kentucky has better facilities, but I found them to be very arrogant.

Louisville IMO has a much better patient load and higher board scores.

Louisville is in a bigger city with a probabilistic chance of you seeing more diverse cases while in dental school.

Either is a good choice really.

Members don't see this ad :)
Super! Keep them coming and please vote.

I'm not so sure about UK having better facilities that UofL. I was really impressed with UK's clinics. However, when I took my acceptance of Louisville's offer of admission on Monday to ULSD, I took my family for a tour of the facilities. We were told that within the next 4 years, the school would be completely renovated. That's really nice, especially since the facilities are already pretty good IMO. Really, I don't think either school is a bad choice. I really like both of them.

Is that a fact about UoL renovating soon? The one thing I know is true is the great patient pool they receive. My wife and I will be visiting Louisville again after the new year and then we will make a decision. Thanks for the info.

Jigabodo glad to see you have made your choice!:)

The score is tied. Need more input....:laugh:

I was told by the students that the school will be undergoing a major renovation pretty soon as well. Consider us, the class of 2012 won't be really spending much clinical time until after 2010 summer I think it should be ready when its finally our time.

Thanks for the info. Jigabodo. I really like Louisville and I have only heard great things about the school from a ton of practicing dentists. All the input I can get helps. Have you sent in your acceptance form yet?

Louisville takes the lead... Jigabodo, did you override the system and vote again? :D

I just sent in the form and deposit 2 days ago via express mail. Just wanted to be safe and make sure it gets there the next day since there is no gurantee delivery time for priority.

I would vote again if I could, but too bad I am not a mod or anything. ;)

I am a first year at UK right now, and I too had to decide between UK and UofL last year. Although both schools are great, I assure you that the experience at UK is wonderful! Dental school is hard, but UK seriously makes a point to reach out to their students. Here are a few other reasons why you should choose UK!

1. Small class size = more one on one help with prof.
2. Clinic exposure 1st year
3. Very nice staff (Everyone is helpful, prof. are never mean)
4. 1st semester 2nd year you get more patients (I have a friend at UofL who is a 2nd semester 2nd year student and has not seen a patient at all)
5. Fair testing and grading
6. You will graduate! (UK has only had to make one student repeat a year in the past 3 years)

I hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, time to get this thread going again. Any more feed back? All is welcome. SDN rocks!!

I know I will hear back from jigabodo....:)

I know I will hear back from jigabodo....:)

Yes, you will hear back from me. :cool:

Here are some reasons why I chose Louisville.

1. First year starts early in July. The classes for first year are spread out in order to make sure that transition to dental school is smooth.
2. Louisville has one of that largest patient base in the nation. In addition, you DO NOT have to book your own. The school schedules you a variety of patient so you dont ever have to worry about spending time calling and reaching out to patients.
3. The clinics are going to get renovated very soon. The class of 2012 won't be getting major clinical time until 2010 so that gives them ample of time to do so.
4. Super friendly staff that genuinely cares about students' well being.
5. Offers WREB, and I plan to practice in Cali afterwards.
6. This might not apply to us yet, but they have a kicka$$ ortho program.
7. Louisville is a very fun city. There are a lot of things to do if you are ever free.
8. You get your own chair. You don't have to fight for chairs like you do at bigger schools.
9. They are also very strong clinically, with a high specializing rate as well. (63%)
10. Affordable housing.

All in all, I am going to Louisville because my gut tells me this is the right place! :D

1. First year starts early in July. The classes for first year are spread out in order to make sure that transition to dental school is smooth.
2. Louisville has one of that largest patient base in the nation. In addition, you DO NOT have to book your own. The school schedules you a variety of patient so you dont ever have to worry about spending time calling and reaching out to patients.
3. The clinics are going to get renovated very soon. The class of 2012 won't be getting major clinical time until 2010 so that gives them ample of time to do so.
6. This might not apply to us yet, but they have a kicka$$ ortho program.
7. Louisville is a very fun city. There are a lot of things to do if you are ever free.
8. You get your own chair. You don't have to fight for chairs like you do at bigger schools.
9. They are also very strong clinically, with a high specializing rate as well. (63%)
10. Affordable housing.

All in all, I am going to Louisville because my gut tells me this is the right place! :D

I'm from cali as well, and I believe cali has it's own sets of boards separate from the WREB.
Unless something has changed?

One of the main reasons why I don't like Louisville is because during the entire interview they kept going on and on about these renovations without ever giving an official date or timeframe of completion. So I asked the dude who talked like Fred Thompson, the black lady, and also a student: They all said there is no way of knowing when, because it is not yet scheduled and has to work its way through the university list of priorities. In the best case scenario, the entering class of 2008 could have the privilege of working in a construction zone for the last two years of school, never to see the finished project. Furthermore, the student said, "When I was at my interview 4 years ago, they showed me the exact same slides they are showing you."

I am sure they mean well, but I think it's better to talk about the current merits of the school rather than focussing on some distant renovations that do not have a set date of beginning.

UK smaller class size, better facility, and I just seemed to click well with the staff and students.

Louisville! ;) even though they waitlisted me I still love them....

thought i could get this thread going again. curious what current applicants thought.

6. This might not apply to us yet, but they have a kick***** ortho program.
10. Affordable housing.

#5 What is WREB?

#7 Louisville is a very fun city for you/him. Why do you think so?

#5 What is WREB?

#7 Louisville is a very fun city for you/him. Why do you think so?

WREB is a type of clinical boards. Each states have their own policies as to which type of board they accept.

Louisville is definitely a lot of fun. There are a lot of things to do here, everyday of the week. However, chances are you will barely go out because school like is pretty busy.