Kerbs Cycle and Glycolysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying for Bio Chem :eek: and can't get the hang of the Kerbs cycle or glycolisis, Does any one know any mnuemonics for them? Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to learn this is to understand what the starting product is and what the final product is and understanding how to push electrons in order to get from one intermidiate to the other. This way you'll learn this and anytime you need to a certain intermidiate you'll be able to figure it out with reasonable ease.

Sorry if this is not what you were looking for but understanding the strategies to use as well as how to push electrons will get you a lot farther then memorization. Plus you'll be able to apply the same techniques to other cycles like the urea cycle as well as the fatty acid biosynthesis and breakdown.

Thanks! That might just work!

Members don't see this ad :)
Draw out all the steps on a big piece of paper. It really does help.

pyruvic acid...yeah, that's the ticket!

BioMedResearch said:
Isn't it the KREBS not kerbs cycle?

Yes it is but we are forgiving of such spelling mistakes on this forum. Right guys?

I'm actually making a large metabolism chart right now. I am using all kinds of different colored pencils. It is not fun and there are arrows everywhere.

draw the entire cycle on your board and stare at it, when you are tired stare at it and if you get sick of staring at it...just stare at it more. It always works for me.

ForensicPath said:
I'm actually making a large metabolism chart right now. I am using all kinds of different colored pencils. It is not fun and there are arrows everywhere.

Yeah, I have several books with the chart from hell, and if i was the engineer responsible, Id be in trouble :laugh:

I second the stare at it philosophy, as well as the write it out 10,00 x.

The more I could make the connections and the more I poured over the book, the better I understood the infinite, awesome beauty that it biochem ...

With these cycles, think of what exactly is happening at each step - here the oxaloacetate is combining with the acetyl coa, which comes from pyruvate; and then other really important things like: succinate is donating its electrons to FAD which then gives them to Complex II, in the electron TC, etc. These will help you on the exam.

When I study I write out what I am reading as I go along. I keep a stack of lined paper by the side of my book and just keep writing things out that seem important. This helps me alot with chemistry stuff and really gnarly physics things. :luck:

I'm not really sure what this little flower thing means, but I thought it was cute ...

I meant KREBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See how behind I am,.....

Thanks to all with real suggestions!

Does any one know any mnuemonics for them?
Here is one for Krebs I have heard before:
Can
I
Keep
Selling
Sex
For
Money
Officer?

Citrate
Isocitrate
alpha-ketoglutarate
succinyl cholate
succinate
fumarate
maloate
oxaloacetate.

Excuse my spelling on the species, it has been a while. I found this provided a framework to hang details upon. Some intermediates not listed are very important as well.

pnp366 said:
I meant KREBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See how behind I am,.....

Thanks to all with real suggestions!

O ur Oxaloac
C ity citrate
I s isocitrate
K ept alpha kg
S afe succinyl - coA
A nd coA
S ound succinate
F rom Fumarate
M alice malate

The Sound of Glucose
------------------------------