Ketone Body Degredation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulikedaggers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biochem teacher says that the only step of KB degredation that occurs in the mitochondria is the acetoacetyl-CoA to 2 acetyl-CoA step. Thus, he claims that there are only 20ATP produced per acetoacetate per KB synthesis since any reduced cofactors produced in the cytosol may or may not get shuttled to the mitochondria.

Kaplan says that beta-hydroxybutyrate enters the mitochondria and thus there is a 24ATP yield

Which is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My biochem teacher says that the only step of KB degredation that occurs in the mitochondria is the acetoacetyl-CoA to 2 acetyl-CoA step. Thus, he claims that there are only 20ATP produced per acetoacetate per KB synthesis since any reduced cofactors produced in the cytosol may or may not get shuttled to the mitochondria.

Kaplan says that beta-hydroxybutyrate enters the mitochondria and thus there is a 24ATP yield

Which is correct?

lol who cares. I doubt this is tested.

Chalk it up to the same reason different textbooks will give different values for Krebs. I've seen it anywhere from 28 to 40 depending on the author's slant, focus and assumptions.

Good points guys, thanks. Not sure why I was even worried about something so trivial.