ulikedaggers

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jul 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
My biochem teacher says that the only step of KB degredation that occurs in the mitochondria is the acetoacetyl-CoA to 2 acetyl-CoA step. Thus, he claims that there are only 20ATP produced per acetoacetate per KB synthesis since any reduced cofactors produced in the cytosol may or may not get shuttled to the mitochondria.

Kaplan says that beta-hydroxybutyrate enters the mitochondria and thus there is a 24ATP yield

Which is correct?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
My biochem teacher says that the only step of KB degredation that occurs in the mitochondria is the acetoacetyl-CoA to 2 acetyl-CoA step. Thus, he claims that there are only 20ATP produced per acetoacetate per KB synthesis since any reduced cofactors produced in the cytosol may or may not get shuttled to the mitochondria.

Kaplan says that beta-hydroxybutyrate enters the mitochondria and thus there is a 24ATP yield

Which is correct?
lol who cares. I doubt this is tested.

notbobtrustme

Crux Terminatus
Removed
Account on Hold
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Chalk it up to the same reason different textbooks will give different values for Krebs. I've seen it anywhere from 28 to 40 depending on the author's slant, focus and assumptions.

OP
ulikedaggers

ulikedaggers

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jul 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Good points guys, thanks. Not sure why I was even worried about something so trivial.