khan academy passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that have started going through these- any thoughts on the quality? I'm going to start them and will update this thread as I go :)

Members don't see this ad.

They're usually hit or miss. The bio section has a few very good ones on interpreting data, but a lot of them are more like old MCAT questions - less data, more memorization. The Chem/Phys section wasn't that representative to me, compared to AAMC materials.

They're usually hit or miss. The bio section has a few very good ones on interpreting data, but a lot of them are more like old MCAT questions - less data, more memorization. The Chem/Phys section wasn't that representative to me, compared to AAMC materials.

I have heard though that the Psych and Soc are the best of any source

It's good for figuring out what content you know and what content you don't know I think, but I don't believe it's representative of actual test questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

It's good for figuring out what content you know and what content you know I think, but I don't believe it's representative of actual test questions.

That kind of sucks to hear, since I did all of the biology passages. What do you guys consider representative? I still plan on doing the psych/socio ones. And possibly the chem/physics ones. If there are better materials out there I'd rather spend my time with those.

I also used Berkeley Review questions which don't seem to be that popular on here?

That kind of sucks to hear, since I did all of the biology passages. What do you guys consider representative? I still plan on doing the psych/socio ones. And possibly the chem/physics ones. If there are better materials out there I'd rather spend my time with those.

I also used Berkeley Review questions which don't seem to be that popular on here?
Section and Question packs, 100%.

@aldol16 did you end up going through all of the chem / phys on KA? I think I'll go through bio in addition to other types of practice passages, but I was hoping to pick your brain about KA C/P?

@aldol16 did you end up going through all of the chem / phys on KA? I think I'll go through bio in addition to other types of practice passages, but I was hoping to pick your brain about KA C/P?

I felt that the KA C/P passages were too difficult and too technical for the real thing. That type of question would be Chemistry GRE-type but definitely not MCAT because they involve too many concepts that undergraduates are not taught (I think one of the early ones had a Fourier transform or something). So I did KA mainly for B/BC and P/S. I think those are immensely helpful for those two sections. I didn't do any of the content videos except for several bio concepts I felt uncomfortable with.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt that the KA C/P passages were too difficult and too technical for the real thing. That type of question would be Chemistry GRE-type but definitely not MCAT because they involve too many concepts that undergraduates are not taught (I think one of the early ones had a Fourier transform or something). So I did KA mainly for B/BC and P/S. I think those are immensely helpful for those two sections. I didn't do any of the content videos except for several bio concepts I felt uncomfortable with.

Any advice on what to use for practice problems for C/P? I could use some extra practice problems for that section and was going to do the KA problems, but if they aren't representative then I'm not going to waste my time.

I agree with @aldol on this too!

This seems to be the consensus. What would you recommend for me, a person looking for more C/P practice before delving into AAMC material. Any practice problems you recommend that are worth doing over Khan?

I would do EK 1001 for content. EK Fl for a more AAMC-like feel.
OTOH, has anyone done the CARS for KA? They say they collaborated with AAMC on their questions but I still find it vastly different from released AAMC materials.

This seems to be the consensus. What would you recommend for me, a person looking for more C/P practice before delving into AAMC material. Any practice problems you recommend that are worth doing over Khan?
I've been doing EK1001. And since each section has 59 questions, I do 59 in one sitting.
Edit: meant 67

Last edited:
Any advice on what to use for practice problems for C/P? I could use some extra practice problems for that section and was going to do the KA problems, but if they aren't representative then I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm afraid I won't be much help on this because I'm a chemistry graduate student. As such, I didn't do much review or C/P practice because I kind of do that kind of stuff every day - in my research as well as in my teaching.