Kickback to Family Physician Doctor for sending patients my way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm1128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Im planning on opening my Pharmacy across the street from a Family Pratice Physician.

I have a lunch meeting setup with her and was wondering if any of you guys ever heard of some type of kickback program I couldnt setup with the doctor? My goal is to get the doctor to remind her patients that there is a pharmacy across the street. Thought if I could come up with some type of incentive plan for the doctor, I would be a lot more successful.

Any thoughts from any of you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

Im planning on opening my Pharmacy across the street from a Family Pratice Physician.

I have a lunch meeting setup with her and was wondering if any of you guys ever heard of some type of kickback program I couldnt setup with the doctor? My goal is to get the doctor to remind her patients that there is a pharmacy across the street. Thought if I could come up with some type of incentive plan for the doctor, I would be a lot more successful.

That is a big no no. You will be shut down in no time at all. The Family Physician is allowed to recommend your pharmacy because of you level of service or skill, but they cannot insist on any pharmacy.
I am sure there are some official ways that can be managed through good accounting to get some money to a physican, like having him bill you for a consulting fee or something, but you are going to have to actually do some consulting in order to legally justify the expense. What you charge for consulting and what the physician would be willing to pay are completely up to you guys. Let me just end in saying that it is a very slippery slope and to be very careful if you wish to pursue it any further.

Cannot be done. There are some things that you can do however. Sometimes the pharmacy owner will own the building the clinic is in and let the physician use the facility rent free. Bend over backward to do anything you can for people in the office as well as the physician (free meds, etc.). Basically just be as courteous as humanly possible but remember the patient always has a choice and the provider cannot insist that anyone use your pharmacy exclusively.

Is it too late to ask how the meeting went?

Sent from my PC36100

Hello Everyone,

Very illegal and immoral.

There are strict laws preventing doctors and pharmacists from entering business together to prevent exactly what you are considering.

Very illegal and immoral.

There are strict laws preventing doctors and pharmacists from entering business together to prevent exactly what you are considering.

I dont think there are laws preventing pharmacists from entering into business with Physicians, so long as the physician is not forcing or funneling prescriptions to that one pharmacy.

There are plenty of independent pharmacies where a good deal of the investment capital comes from a physician partner.

Isn't this the same as an advertising campaign? I'll give you money if you sell my business/product to people.

I am sure you can find somenway of doing something sketchy. Just make sure and get a lawyer to check things over. There is no law againsts friends engaging in business together and if one friends grandfather sold the other some water front property at a very nice rate that's not against the law. You get what I am saying. But you will be watched by competitors. For instance I have already called the board about a pharmacy in a docs office and what they tell patients regarding their options on where to fill their prescriptions at. Trying something like this isnanbignundertaking and not nreally worth it unless its a ton money involved and you are covered legally.