Kicked out of medical school, school won't let me see essay exam I failed....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
inabind said:
But its more than 'knowing the grade on the exam'. Before I walk away from the situation, I want to see how my essay exam was graded.

Right now, my life is totally f*cked up. My parents are incensed b/c all the financial support they've given me the past 2 years is pretty much down the drain. My parents have lost all faith in me. They're not going to give me any support financially or emotionally (at least in the short to medium term future).

boo hoo.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey skiz,

With an empathetic attitude like that, you'll make a great doc.
What a tool!

I'm in the same boat as skiz knot, sorry but that's life. When you started this road you had to know that it would be difficult. After you failed class #1 you still dinked around, and then failed #2-whatever...cry me a river, but in the end YOU made this happen, YOU are responsible, and YOU have to accept the consequences. People do not fail school because of 1 test, they fail for a series of actions and events that have gone beyond what is acceptable for a physician (in training).

For those that are stating to get a lawyer, why?!?! WTF, you failed, get over it and move on. Do you think that 1)Things get easier?..they don't. 2)Anyone wants to work w/a Doctor that failed thier classes multiple times?...they don't, 3)do you really expect to pass USMLE I, II CS, II CK, III, and then board exams in whatever field you go into...you wont.

Stop defending people that are not meant to be physicians, and telling them to get a lawyer, when they signed a contract at the beginning of school stating that they understood the terms of acceptance.

Peoples willingness to get a lawyer for cheaters, failures, and incompetent students is WHY WE HAVE FELLOW PHYSICIANS THAT KILL PEOPLE. This gives physicians a bad name, and gains zero sympathy from the lay public for the Med-Mal debate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't read the whole thread; in fact, I'm not even a med student (I'm in dental school) so maybe I should shut my mouth. But it seems to me that both medical and dental schools don't kick ENOUGH people out. People get second chances... and third... and fourth... and fifth. Cheaters get a little slap on the wrist and a talk with the dean.

It doesn't matter how stringent the admissions criteria are, there are still going to be people slipping through the cracks. Sometimes for the good of the profession and the safety of the public those that can't (or won't) meet minimum standards need to go.

There are plenty of students who shouldn't be physicians even if they manage to pass their classes. Hell, there were plenty of students in my ethics group that stated that they would lie to their patient in order to cover up a mistake that they made.

TysonCook said:
I'm in the same boat as skiz knot, sorry but that's life. When you started this road you had to know that it would be difficult. After you failed class #1 you still dinked around, and then failed #2-whatever...cry me a river, but in the end YOU made this happen, YOU are responsible, and YOU have to accept the consequences. People do not fail school because of 1 test, they fail for a series of actions and events that have gone beyond what is acceptable for a physician (in training).

For those that are stating to get a lawyer, why?!?! WTF, you failed, get over it and move on. Do you think that 1)Things get easier?..they don't. 2)Anyone wants to work w/a Doctor that failed thier classes multiple times?...they don't, 3)do you really expect to pass USMLE I, II CS, II CK, III, and then board exams in whatever field you go into...you wont.

Stop defending people that are not meant to be physicians, and telling them to get a lawyer, when they signed a contract at the beginning of school stating that they understood the terms of acceptance.

Peoples willingness to get a lawyer for cheaters, failures, and incompetent students is WHY WE HAVE FELLOW PHYSICIANS THAT KILL PEOPLE. This gives physicians a bad name, and gains zero sympathy from the lay public for the Med-Mal debate.

as opposed to the extremely arrogant and malignant physicians in practice, who give the profession such a good public face. :rolleyes:

the op ask what the next step is, and if he wants to continue fighting, then the next step is to get a lawyer.

it may very well be that the op has exhausted all of his chances to improve at med school, and if that's the case then the best lawyer in the world won't change anything. but it doesn't change the fact that if he wants to fight, the next step is to get a lawyer.

nobody here knows the poster or the situation and as such nobody here is in a position to judge the posters abilities as a physician.

Rendar5 said:
I don't see why that's being dishonest? Though the not telling us that he has already failed several exams is.

Anyway, I take neurology 2nd year. in fact, my exam's monday :(

I said Neuroscience. We take Neurology second year as well. I agree with some of the posts because this person did not just fail one exam. The retake system goes as follows: you take one exam, you fail that, you take a retake, and if you fail that, you take it over the summer. At NYCOM, where this person obviously goes...or should I say went to...failed over 10 credits. That means this person has been failing since last year. Do you mean to tell me that this person should get another chance? What is so wrong for people to ask themselves, seriously, can I go through this thing called med school? Lawyer? The committee is going to take this person's record/transcript and laugh. :laugh:

Trader56 said:
Hey skiz,

What a tool!

The op stated that he will no longer receive financial support from his rents now that he has been kicked out of school. God forbid he, like 99% of people his age, has to get a job after he had the privelege to attend medical school. The op should feel lucky that his parents were able/willing to support him financially in the first place.

So F-you trader

Undecided1 said:
I said Neuroscience. We take Neurology second year as well. I agree with some of the posts because this person did not just fail one exam. The retake system goes as follows: you take one exam, you fail that, you take a retake, and if you fail that, you take it over the summer. At NYCOM, where this person obviously goes...or should I say went to...failed over 10 credits. That means this person has been failing since last year. Do you mean to tell me that this person should get another chance? What is so wrong for people to ask themselves, seriously, can I go through this thing called med school? Lawyer? The committee is going to take this person's record/transcript and laugh. :laugh:
Somehow, I sense that you know this person (seeing that you keep claiming which school the OP goes to, and you'll only know that and other details if you yourself go to the same school). And with the certain amount of anonymity this forum allows, you're taking advantage of that fact so you can blatantly kick him while he's down. Bad form.

I'm not saying that everyone is fit to be a doctor. Of course not, that's why only certain people get to go through the grueling steps to reach that goal. However, the OP is asking for advice of what his next step should be, and that's what we're giving. Maybe this last step will give him closure so he can finally move on.

skiz,

Try and have a little symapthy for a tough situation.
No matter what the circumstances, this is hard for anyone to go through.

The guy needs some helpful suggestions for what his next move might be, not sarcasm.

Oh, and I don't do guys, sorry.

Trader56 said:
skiz,

The guy needs some helpful suggestions for what his next move might be, not sarcasm.

The beauty of the internet is that you can get people's unbiased opinions that you would never get in a face to face situation. Giving this guy sympathy does him no good, what he wants is an honest opinion.

Most of the people that he would be appealing to are going to be thinking exactly what skiz said, "boo f'ing hoo", he had his chance and it's time to suck it up and move on.

It sounds like he had his due process, and I doubt getting a lawyer would do anything to help his situation, this one particular test he wants to see is likely irrelevant in the big picture of failing 4+ classes.

ooh, totally get a lawyer if you're that desperate to know, but don't go sueing anyone (lawyers are for more than courtrooms, flopotomist) and don't expect him/her to fix it. i nearly got a lawyer when an unrelated nonmedical bureaucracy had me ass-upward over a barrel and was trying to screw me--philosophy was, well maybe i won't win this fight, but i sure as hell want to know WHY i'm not winning it and a lawyer knows a heckuva lot more than i do about fighting. and they can make sure my rights are honoured legally.

hey, do us a favour too... when you sort out your situation, post again and let us know what happened. that drives me nuts when there are open-ended to-be-continued crisis threads here when you never find out how the OP wound up.

Samoa said:
Is it normal for your school to give essay exams?

I'll probably get the award for most inappropriate post of the year, but I LOVE SOMOAS!!! But I think they changed the name to caramel delights or something ridiculous like that. However they are quite delightful.

Members don't see this ad :)
rockdoc said:
Sorry, didn't see the point why it matters whether he posted in allo or osteo... the advice most people have been giving wouldn't change just because of that... s/he's just asking for some advice here.

I agree with the posters before me. I know of a student in our class who failed basically everything, and was allowed to repeat an entire year. They essentially gave him a chance to prove himself and show that he is able to handle the curriculum, even if he was unable to do so in the first run. If you failed 4 classes (from what I counted), that should not have been enough for them to completely dismiss you. Most medical schools (allo or osteo) give another year's chance to students (you are an investment to them, after all). Unless you've done something else, like stealing the dean's dog, then this should have been offered to you.

I think he would have to commit a more serious crime than stealing the dean's dog...

prefontaine said:
From reading your post, I can understand why you failed an essay exam.
as a future doc, show some compassion. I am assuming that the OP is quite frantic and the last thing on his mind right now, in view of the circumstances (life's dream crumbling to pieces..) is spelling his misery correctly.

I just hope that he gets a second chance.

Man I hope some of you guys get kicked in the head by karmic justice like youre doing to this guy.

Undecided1 said:

well, my school is neurology and neuroscience 2nd year. no need to have the two separate the way our curriculum goes. Anway, I didn't say that inabind should get another chance. I think he should be kicked out after failing so many tests. If he's sure that every single time had a valid excuse and is not indicative of a deeper problem, then he should go carribean. but 5 strikes and u're out.

Trader56 said:
skiz,

what're u a homophobe? no? so you love gay guys then, right? ok, good, just checking :laugh:

/mallrats

I don't mean to kick anybody while they are down, but there is a further consideration here. There are thousands of well qualified applicants trying to get into that first year of medical school. Because there is a limited number of seats available, I think it is perfectly reasonable for a medical school to make the decision to NOT give one of those seats to a student that has demonstrated an inability to succeed, and instead fill the seat with an applicant that has a better chance of succeeding. Obviously this should be a decision made on an individual basis allowing for situations like deaths or serious illnesses. Not knowing how to study, and not figuring it out DURING your first year is just not reason enough to take a precious seat away from a more deserving person. Just my thoughts.

Rough situation. For those who think someone whose failed a few classes should be kicked out without remorse for the good of the profession, I think that's a little harsh. Grades in medical school have little to do with success as a physician. Although, you do have to pass the boards, which will be the real test if they to let you back in. From a practicality standpoint, failing multiple classes (even if remediated, which is usually required) is not the best recipe for passing Step 1. Think about this long and hard before you take a get out of jail free card, no matter how it's obtained (lawyer, etc).

Though, I would want to know how my test was graded, whether I got a 95 or a 55 (especially that latter). And for this, I'd say get a lawyer, and talk to a student affairs dean (or someone else in charge) who likes you. Sometimes sugar works better than pepper spray.

fun8stuff said:
yeah, because people's posts on sdn are obviously a great indicator of their writing ability :rolleyes:
yea, i hate it when people think you need to express yourself as well on a discussion board as you would in a thesis or something :thumbdown:

KNightInBlue said:
Holy crap, I never thought I'd see it - the dumbest judgement call on sdn.....

The guy is crapping his pants about failing out of school and you want him to correct his syntax/grammar/spelling?

OP, get a lawyer asap. Not to 'threaten' the school but just so you go thru it the right way. The lawyer should know what your proper recourse should be.

i totally agree. And I find it hard to believe you could make it to MS2 and then suddenly fail an essay exam...one they won't let you see; it almost sounds like they had it in for you.

My sincerest sympathies that you have to go through this. Just think rationally about it and don't threaten anyone. Have the lawyer get all the facts and present a case. Let him/her call, not you./ Don't forget they will hold anything against you at this point and if it gets overturned you do have to continue at this school. All the best.

Originally Posted by Morb
1 second and lloyd carr running the clock, minimum 3 michigan born officials at every home game, etc from the second non awarded natl championship in 11 years, not to mention taking out an additional 2 inches between the seats just to claim the big house is the biggest stadium, when there is only one biggest best stadium in the country

bobby bowden gets the nod for all time victories even though over 2 dozen of those are AA

everybody calling for msu to win in spite of the spread, the rodney dangerfield of div1A

we are...

i drove down from boston for the purdue game, did you see the lion doing the thriller zombie dance?

Nittany Lion said:
I've never been so mad in my life at that TD with 1 second to go... I could say a few choice profane words right now but I'll keep it clean. And NO i didn't get to see the lion do any dances this year... (dammit, why did I decide to go medical school THIS YEAR??!) I heard he did the Napoleon Dynamite dance too. I still can't believe how well we're doing, the year after I graduate :mad:

I should be studying now for my test coming up but I had to take a break to watch my lions pummel MSU... so far we've intercepted one pass in the first quarter...yeah I think we definitely got this... :thumbup:

i can't believe the OP is asking for advice about a serious subject and you two sidetrack this thread about some college sports event. :thumbdown:

Originally Posted by jonb12997
seriously, what else happened, it seems like most medical schools do not kick you out for simply failing a neuroanatomy retest... you don't need to tell us exactly, just let us know that there is other stuff going on or something, I don't think any of us really believe that this is all you've done.

inabind said:
So maybe the criteria for re-admittance was stricter this time around.

But I just want to see you my essay exam was graded (relative to other who took the exam), that's all.

i have not read the whole thread yet, but so far i've seen this asked at least 5 times on page one...why do you keep avoiding the question? I feel for you, man, but you have to be totally honest if you want helpful responses.

Poety said:
inabind, if they offered you the opportunity to repeat from 1st year and essentially start over, why wouldn't you just do that instead of appealing to start in the 2nd year? Just go back to your school, tell them you'll repeat from the first year on (even if its not decelerated, you've seen the material before and you should be able to handle it - if you can't I hate to say it but perhaps the material really is too difficult). So you end up graduating a year later. Thats fine - youd be doing the same thing starting over at a Caribbean school anyway.

It's not like they aren't offering you something. Take it and be thankful you still have a chance. if you truly believe your exam was marked unfairly have the lawyer request an independent prof regrade it. But don't forget if you take their offer to repeat you are going to have to deal with this prof again. Best of luck.

inabind said:
No, I know for certain I can succeed in medical school. Late in my 2nd year, I've adopted a new study method which helps my retention immensely. I go to class and take notes like normal then after the school day is over, I go home and VERBALLY re-teach myself the day's lectures and record it (thru my laptop) in mp3 format. Its a little more time consuming then just re-reading the HO's but the pay off (in study efficiency) comes in the reviewing. I listen to the mp3's while taking breaks, driving and sometimes during light naps. It also makes it easy to ID my weak areas also b/c when listening I try to anticipate what I'm going to say next. If I get it wrong or forget what I'm going to say next in the mp3's, I know that's a weak area.

The exams I used this method for during 2nd year, I did fairly well in. But I started this late in my 2nd year so its impact on my record was too late.

I know this study method is a bit complex, but my point is I figured out what works for me. Unfortnately, too late for the school I attended.

but didn't you just fail the neuro exam?? did you use this method then? Did you mention this new study method during the appeals?

Rendar5 said:
I don't see why that's being dishonest? Though the not telling us that he has already failed several exams is.

Anyway, I take neurology 2nd year. in fact, my exam's monday :(
good luck, Rendar :luck: :thumbup:

skiz knot said:

Trader56 said:
Hey skiz,

What a tool!

I totally agree; why do posters bother commenting when they are going to be so unsympathetic? skiz knot, just don't respond in the future. :thumbdown:

TysonCook said:

while a person may be responsible for their own actions and failings, it does not mean a person (a future doctor, nonetheless) should be so unsympathetic and cruel when someone else needs understanding and advice. You could have said the same thing in a much kinder way...something i hope you will do with your patients someday.

I can see you saying to your 50 year old patient who is caring for her disabled husband and Down's syndrome child "lung cancer..well you smoked for 10 years, you did it to yourself, you'll die but it's your own fault, accept it and move on."

If your response to a colleague that is in trouble and is reaching out for help and advice is to pile on criticism and dismiss him, then it is YOU that gives physicians a bad name. We really don't know anything about the OP's capabilities in patient care...we are talking about the first and second year curriculum here. But we do know a great deal about your personality--let me tell you as a current resident, and a damn good one, that I would never want to work with a tool like you.

TysonCook said:

blocks said:
If your response to a colleague that is in trouble and is reaching out for help and advice is to pile on criticism and dismiss him, then it is YOU that gives physicians a bad name. We really don't know anything about the OP's capabilities in patient care...we are talking about the first and second year curriculum here. But we do know a great deal about your personality--let me tell you as a current resident, and a damn good one, that I would never want to work with a tool like you.

Yes, because responses to message board postings has a proven correlation to your adeptness at patient care....

Seriously, get down off the high horse, the lack of oxygen is making you silly.

blocks said:

What about this thread has turned this forum into pre-allow?

blocks said:
We really don't know anything about the OP's capabilities in patient care...we are talking about the first and second year curriculum here.

We don't?! Much of the second year knowledge is extremely relevant in patient care. This guy might have the best bedside manner in the world, but if he can't learn the basic facts of medicine then I don't want him as my physician!

The OP claims that he can now learn the facts, and maybe he is right, and he just needs another chance to prove that. But honestly, if I were the dean at this med school, I wouldn't want someone who had failed repeatedly to take up a spot in my first year class. He failed once and they understandably gave him another chance. He failed again and they gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now he has failed at least 5 courses and has not improved. That's too much.

rockdoc said:
Somehow, I sense that you know this person (seeing that you keep claiming which school the OP goes to, and you'll only know that and other details if you yourself go to the same school). And with the certain amount of anonymity this forum allows, you're taking advantage of that fact so you can blatantly kick him while he's down. Bad form.

No, I don't know this person, but just by reading, this person had trouble with several classes given the nature of the school. I know I made it to SDN when someone tells me about my "bad form." :D I bet you felt good telling me that. Does anyone realize that the OP hasn't replied, when at first this person was replying so quickly? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the school...

I still don't see your purpose in naming the school other than taking away some of his anonymity. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the OP isn't posting as much. the advice would've been the same regardless of the school.

I agree w/ u about it being sdn when you can come on and make a post and have a few people suddenly jump up and say "you wouldn't make a good doctor w/ that attitude". Ah, gotta love the holier-than-thou attitude permeating the medical industry (luckily, it is more pre-allo than allo).

prefontaine said:
From reading your post, I can understand why you failed an essay exam.

Wow man, I watch Doctor House too! You are so clever!

inside-house.jpg

Undecided1 said:
I know I made it to SDN when someone tells me about my "bad form." :D I bet you felt good telling me that.

No, not particularly. I'm not pulling the "holier-than-thou" routine, nor am I pre-allo (far from it, in fact). It's just obvious that the OP was in considerable distress, and I figured that being blatantly unsympathetic was uncalled for.

psycho doctor, I think it would be helpful if you could consolidate your posts into one instead of taking up one entire page of individual posts back to back.

It's not like they aren't offering you something. Take it and be thankful you still have a chance. if you truly believe your exam was marked unfairly have the lawyer request an independent prof regrade it. But don't forget if you take their offer to repeat you are going to have to deal with this prof again. Best of luck.

have not read the whole thread yet, but so far i've seen this asked at least 5 times on page one...why do you keep avoiding the question? I feel for you, man, but you have to be totally honest if you want helpful responses.

You really need to read the full thread before you make uneducated comments.

Inabind: Given the way you say you have to study and the accademic trouble you've had in med school I was wondering if you had been tested for a learning disability?

Sounds like the OP needs "closure;" that is, to see the final exam of his/her medical career. (Warning: Cliche alert ahead--->) You think, "Knowing is better than not knowing."

Here is an offbeat suggestion. Ask to see a copy of the exam, but not your answers. Then go to your room & write out an answer to one of the questions. Get the answer evaluated by people you trust. Maybe they can give you feedback on the problem.

Another suggestion... Look at your past performance & find patterns. Likely, those patterns will give you a sense of what your essay exam was like. Think about it... you don't have to look in the mirror every day to know what you look like. Here's another cliche, "History repeats itself."

Final, really offbeat suggestion. Claim your essay is your intellectual property and that you have a right to possess it. Seems like your school profited enormously from your "work product" via your tuition money. Don't you deserve a parting gift from school?

Flopotomist said:
psycho doctor, I think it would be helpful if you could consolidate your posts into one instead of taking up one entire page of individual posts back to back.
no, then i can't comment specifically to a post. but thanks for your opinion.

and how else do you think i got my post count up? :D

MissMary said:
You really need to read the full thread before you make uneducated comments.
perhaps but it doesn't work for me. feel free to ignore all my posts and then you wouldn't need to take up space writing something that doesn't contribute to the thread, which unfortunately necessitated me to do the same thing. :thumbdown: :(

Psycho Doctor said:
no, then i can' comment specifically to a post. but thanks for your opinion.

and how else do you think i got my post count up? :D
It just seems that when you do this, you drown out other people that have posted. Specifically, I posted what I (obviously) thought was an interesting and new point, but because you posted 6 posts right after, you drowned out my point, and I just thought that was rude and unnecessary.

Psycho Doctor said:
perhaps but it doesn't work for me. feel free to ignore all my posts and then you wouldn't need to take up space writing something that doesn't contribute to the thread, which unfortunately necessitated me to do the same thing. :thumbdown: :(
Actually, by posting things that did not make sense and did not follow the flow of the conversation, you are in essence contributing NOTHING to the thread. Seems as though you had the silly idea that you were making intelligent and perhaps interesting comments when in fact they were nothing more than unnecessary rubbish.

inabind, your study method sounds a lot like my partner. She didn't go to college out of high school, because she just 'didn't like school'. She started taking night classes a year or so ago and had a LOT of trouble with (to my overeducated eyes) ridiculously easy community college classes... She also wasn't able to sit and read for more than about 10-15 minutes without feeling very fatigued. (She never reads for pleasure, ever.)

So, just as an experiment, I started reading the text out loud to her. Suddenly she started doing way better. She also started recording lectures and listening to them after class.

I'm not about to suggest it, but I'm sure she has some kind of reading disability, and it's possible that you could, too. If you think it's a possibility, then get tested and get documentation-if you do have any kind of documentable problem, that should at least be enough for them to re-consider your case, and hopefully let you start again as a MS1. Even if you can't go back to your school, your chances at enrolling at another school should be better because you will have a solid reason for not doing well in the past.

and, I'm pretty sure you can still go to med school in the US. When you apply, you will have to be honest about being expelled and the reasons for it. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it's not illegal/unethical.

MissMary said:
Actually, by posting things that did not make sense and did not follow the flow of the conversation, you are in essence contributing NOTHING to the thread. Seems as though you had the silly idea that you were making intelligent and perhaps interesting comments when in fact they were nothing more than unnecessary rubbish.

Let it go. This back and forth isn't helping the original poster.

Just for fun, could people stop replying 14 times in a row (without anyone else posting)? It's terribly annoying.

izibo said:
Just for fun, could people stop replying 14 times in a row (without anyone else posting)? It's terribly annoying.
if you displayed the thread in the "threaded mode" you wouldn't see all my posts (since obviously you are referring to me) in a row. Instead you would see a tree format with each of my responses dispersed throughout the thread and in response to individual comments. So whereas you and flopotomist think it's crazy there is some sense to it. :smuggrin: