Kicked out of medical school, school won't let me see essay exam I failed....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And we're resurrecting this two year old flamefest because.....?

Members don't see this ad.

[/b] On what basis are you making those assumptions?

I have several friends who were expelled from US/Canadian medical schools and went down to the caribbean...and found it much more difficult there. I"m sure there are Carib schools that are much easier than US med schools too...but I just know for a fact that at certain carib schools...if you fail a class or shelf exam...you are not allowed to repeat...you're just dismissed.

Basically, the average caribbean school (at least the high ranked ones) tend to weed people out quickly - like even after one semester. They accept practically everyone who applies - and then make the exams very difficult because they only want carib grads who did well in classes to sit for USMLE step 1 so the school looks good with a high pass rate. If you fail a class or semester, you are lucky if you are allowed to repeat and are not kicked out.

Keep in mind I'm not saying ALL - just SOME - if not most - carib schools tend to be very difficult. So if you're failing at a US school YOU BETTER SHAPE UP before you head down to a foreign one cuz you'll find your professors a LOT LESS sympathetic. But at least you have the carib as an option if you're kicked out :)

Also...many caribbean med schools tend to be accelerated programs...such as doing the first 2 years of basic sciences all in 1 year...or in 1 year 4 months...etc...so contrary to popular belief you dont have a whole lot of party time sitting on the beach...and on top of that you have to pass the COMP (a cumulative shelf) before you can sit for step 1...and if you fail the COMP you will likely be kicked out as well. Even 3rd/4th year if you fail a shelf exam you might be kicked out. So a carib med school is generally easy to get into...and hard to get out of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...

I needed some information from your Med school problems posts ...
can we get in touch by email ?
my email is [email protected]

let me know
Thanks
Chirag

[/B] On what basis are you making those assumptions?

She's making those assumptions because she's in a carib school, and wants to believe what she says.

I have visited my friends in carib schools and seen their curriculum. No names of the schools but I have visited 3 (went island hopping) Well let me tell you, EVERY single one of my friends that went down to the caribs got kicked out. And they were smart as hell, not party kids at all. Most carib students are gunners - and not everyone has bad grades and test scores. Some are really great candidates that just simply didn't get off the US waiting lists. There are some doofuses, sure, but most carib schools are HARD as hell. You can laugh if you want - but remember - the entering class at some carib schools is 400. The class that graduates? 150. Not everyone is stupid. You do the math.

I should also say, I have some friends that have matched into competitive residencies from carib schools as well, the ones with great Step 1 scores, grades, evals etc. Med school is what you make of it. My point was that carib med schools are no party on the beach like people seem to think.

You can laugh if you want - but remember - the entering class at some carib schools is 400. The class that graduates? 150.

Okay.

(250/400) x 100 = 62.5% stupid

:laugh:

Okay.

(250/400) x 100 = 62.5% stupid
I think at the very least it is fair to say that the Carib students that passed are on a level with most of the allo kids. It's just their entering classes that are significantly dumber.

Well let me tell you, EVERY single one of my friends that went down to the caribs got kicked out. And they were smart as hell

Perhaps your estimation of "smart as hell" is way off. Your friends get kicked out of American schools and matriculate at Caribbean schools only to get kicked out again?

Yes, one can match in to a top program from a Caribbean school but it is improbable. They have significant trouble matching in the US in general, let alone top programs.

Why is everyone so insulting to foreign grads? You will have to deal with many foreign doctors (including many carib docs) as well as D.O.'s when you are in residency.

Why is everyone so insulting to foreign grads? You will have to deal with many foreign doctors (including many carib docs) as well as D.O.'s when you are in residency.

US grads (MD, DO) are treated the best...Unfortunately, its the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...I guess you're right...it's not just limited to foreign/carib grads either...I mean even D.O.s are looked down upon by some M.D.s as 'worthless' degrees outside of the US...and in between M.D.s the surgeons look down on family practice docs etc...you just can't win

Caribbean grads can end up Chief of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Duke.

Just FYI.

Caribbean grads can end up Chief of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Duke.

Just FYI.

I love the n=1 style retorts on SDN. Yes, it is possible to make it big from a carib school. Is it the rule? Of course not. Do US students have an advantage? Most definitely, just check out the 2007 Match data. So, yes, carib student can match competitively, but even if they are outstanding applicants, will still be behind in line to a US grad.

Hmm....definitely not true.....MANY US medical schools will take students who have been dsimissed previously from another med school...it is totally upto the school. I've had 2 resdients in the past, who were expelled from school, got lawyers, and ended up nowhere. They were however able to apply to another school and get in....and that would be another US allopathic school...

Just because one medical school feels you don't belong there, doesn't mean you are not fit to become a physician.....I say fight it all the way till the end!

But....take responsbility for what has happened, because it shouldn't have....and then make sure the next time you just start to go down, you nip it right at the start...

just my 2 cents :)

My brother witnessed a cheater getting back in 2x after getting caught "red handed" due to a very good lawyer.

How is this a good thing?

Hmm....definitely not true.....MANY US medical schools will take students who have been dsimissed previously from another med school...it is totally upto the school. I've had 2 resdients in the past, who were expelled from school, got lawyers, and ended up nowhere. They were however able to apply to another school and get in....and that would be another US allopathic school...

You are underestimating the value of the lawyers here. Most likely thanks to legal efforts their record ended up unblemished and they probably were never officially expelled/dismissed for cause, and were able to get a nice letter from their dismissing school which would allow them to move on. With a "clean" status you might be able to obtain admission to another US school if your reasons are compelling enough. Not likely, but perhaps not impossible. If you were expelled for cause that would be impossible. (US med schools are getting thousands of applications each year and so they don't waste their time on folks with tarnished records, nor do they want to put their name and risk their reputation on folks who are potential problems). Since this is an extremely rare event, and no two situations are exactly alike, it's hard to imagine you've know two such people though.

More people get re-admitted to US medical schools than one may think...but ONLY if it was for academic reasons the first time around. You get kicked out for failing a class you're repeating, you get dismissed, but most places will allow you to reapply again. If that doesn't work out, you just go to a foreign med school that caters to US students. You get kicked out for behavior? You're DONE for.

You get kicked out for failing a class you're repeating, you get dismissed, but most places will allow you to reapply again.

I think a lot of us go to US schools where you won't get in with this track record. So you'd need to provide some data as to where these "most places" are before we buy it.

I'm in a similar situation like Inabind, have been dismissed due to academic reasons, and am receiving a lot of negative information stating I won't get in if I apply to medical school again because my transcript will say I was dismissed for academic reasons. Is there anyone who has positive stories to share and if so how did those med students finish school?

If I had a dollar for everytime I think I've seen the last of this thread...

...The reason why the thread keeps coming up is because even medical students can Struggle. Of those medical students who are in that ~5% that do not complete medical school, I'm assuming that at least 1% of them first fought with everything they had before giving up on the opportunity that had been granted to them in the first place. And, in choosing to post they are looking for another person in that 1% who isn't too shell-shocked from being in the position to know that they are not alone so that they don't walk away until they have truly done everything they can and then (if necessary) move on without regrets, as well as help from any other person who has information that may help them with their situation.

Because a medical student is not in the 95% of students who are able to get through the medical education curriculum with fewer issues does not mean that that Student is not able or worthy of completing the curriculum, especially if they are seeking out resources and continue to remain motivated to complete a goal and dream that they have worked for as hard as the next medical student. But it becomes extremely difficult when you feel like you are the only one, and when you are being told that 'maybe this isn't right for you' or 'are you sure you are studying enough/smart enough' or whatever other more negative comments tend to enter the conversation, usually by someone who has not experienced a similar difficulty.

The original date of the post is not the important part at this point, but the content is - that struggling within medical school can get to the point of being dismissed, and when that happens making the decision to continue requires help, and the people posting today are seeking out that help from a source that they hope may offer helpful information.

Have a blessed day.

No, all multiple choice for most classes. The exception would be practicals and soap notes in physical diagnosis.

So since this post does come up over and over again, lets bring some closure. What is the update status of the OP, did you get back in, did you go into a different field, are you working now. What steps did you take and where did you end up?

So since this post does come up over and over again, lets bring some closure. What is the update status of the OP, did you get back in, did you go into a different field, are you working now. What steps did you take and where did you end up?
Okay you all can close this. I ended up not getting back in because the test I failed was the one that they caught me on camera using some hidden notes to cheat with. I am now a bum.:sleep:

I doubt you'll get any closure, the OP hasn't been on SDN since 2005. Well wait a minute now, there might be your closure right there, not a student doctor anymore...

Originally Posted by jonb12997
seriously, what else happened, it seems like most medical schools do not kick you out for simply failing a neuroanatomy retest... you don't need to tell us exactly, just let us know that there is other stuff going on or something, I don't think any of us really believe that this is all you've done.

i have not read the whole thread yet, but so far i've seen this asked at least 5 times on page one...why do you keep avoiding the question? I feel for you, man, but you have to be totally honest if you want helpful responses.

He stated on here that he failed in 1st year and started 2nd year on probation.

Edit: Wow I just realized I responded to a thread that is 2 years old and was bumped up. My bad. Ignore the above.

He stated on here that he failed in 1st year and started 2nd year on probation.

Edit: Wow I just realized I responded to a thread that is 2 years old and was bumped up. My bad. Ignore the above.

So by now he could be a resident and we are still discussing this issue, lol. This thread must die. Die thread DIEEEEEE, lol oppss not helping killing it by still responding to it, sorry:laugh:

I doubt you'll get any closure, the OP hasn't been on SDN since 2005. Well wait a minute now, there might be your closure right there, not a student doctor anymore...

dude, that was good....:laugh:

Can I get some cliff notes for this here thrad? :)

kthxby

I just got kick out of medical school as a 2nd year (I've gone through the 1st appeal process in front of the committee and 2nd appeal in front of Dean and my dissmissal was upheld after both appeals).

Anyways, the exam that I failed that caused me to be put on dismissal status (by causing me to fail over the maximum allowed credits) was an essay exam. The school, however, won't let me see how my essay exam was graded. I thought I did much better on the essay exam than the score I actually obtained. Do I have any legal recourse?

I think I might call the school and threaten legal action so I can see how my essay was graded. I think that would scare them enough (the medical school is private and its parent university, also private, has been having a lot of financial problems lately).

yup would get a lawyer

yup would get a lawyer

Any cause of action he may have had would have run out long ago in the many years since this thread was started. No point continuing to bump up this thread seeking "positive" experiences of folks who overcame such dismissals. The reason you don't see such is there likely isn't much good news out there to be found. If a school decides you don't have what it takes to graduate from their school, other schools tend not to throw open their doors. There are so many applicants for each spot, no school wants someone else's "damaged goods". Sad but that's the cold hard truth.

Any cause of action he may have had would have run out long ago in the many years since this thread was started. No point continuing to bump up this thread seeking "positive" experiences of folks who overcame such dismissals. The reason you don't see such is there likely isn't much good news out there to be found. If a school decides you don't have what it takes to graduate from their school, other schools tend not to throw open their doors. There are so many applicants for each spot, no school wants someone else's "damaged goods". Sad but that's the cold hard truth.

Definitely right. If you couldn't cut it in your med school, why would you be able to succeed at another one? Also, it's not like you got kicked out for failing one anatomy test. You have to have serious academic or ethical problems to get kicked out of medical school. Another school is not going to take a risk on you, when they are already turning away hundreds qualified of applicants who haven't already screwed up their chance.

DIE THREAD, DIE!!!!!!

:beat:

(yes, I am aware of the irony that my post just put this thread at the top of the page)

Oh come on, this thread has serious entertainment value. I was nearly in hysterics reading some of the exchanges involving Psycho Doctor and Miss Mary.

Classic thread. :thumbup:

I have just come across this particularly interesting thread and would like to say I found Idona's subtle comment to be the most understanding and perceptive post since this topic was started. Three cheers to Idona- there is still hope for the medical students on this forum then! :- D

Wow........:wow:

I cannot believe this thread is still (sort of) alive after almost 3 years and 36,000+ views.

Just a little update on my situation. I decided not to pursue legal action, instead I applied to and am now attending medical school in the Caribbean. But medical school in the Caribbean is no cake walk, I've had more than my share of hardships down here. Other than that, I would rather not reveal anymore information about my CURRENT situation.

Just some advice to anybody who, in the future, may find themselves in a similar situation (failing out of a US medical school).

Keep the legal option open: the reason why I didn't pursue it was because I had no money and my family was absolutely against helping me pursue legal action. Besides, my family isn't exactly well connected nor are they 'legally inclined'. If my family were well-connected and saw the judicial system as more of a tool for the citizen to use, then I may have pursued legal action.

About going to school in the Carribbean: do your research and don't rush applying to Carribbean schools. of course research which schools can be licensed in which states but also look at how happy current students are (valuemd.com is a great resource).

Thanks for your concern and advice.

Last edited:
^^ LOOK ^^ everybody, inabind has posted an update!!! Thanks for letting us know what you were up to, inabind. It's good to get some closure on your situation. I was wondering.

Hope your medical career is as long and illustrious as this thread has been.

Long live this thread!:love:

Wow........:wow:

I cannot believe this thread is still (sort of) alive after almost 3 years and 36,000+ views.

Just a little update on my situation. I decided not to pursue legal action, instead I applied to and am now attending medical school in the Caribbean. But medical school in the Caribbean is no cake walk, I've had more than my share of hardships down here. Other than that, I would rather not reveal anymore information about my CURRENT situation.

Just some advice to anybody who, in the future, may find themselves in a similar situation (failing out of a US medical school).

Keep the legal option open: the reason why I didn't pursue it was because I had no money and my family was absolutely against helping me pursue legal action. Besides, my family isn't exactly well connected nor are they 'legally inclined'. If my family were well-connected and saw the judicial system as more of a tool for the citizen to use, then I may have pursued legal action.

About going to school in the Carribbean: do your research and don't rush applying to Carribbean schools. of course research which schools can be licensed in which states but also look at how happy current students are (valuemd.com is a great resource).

Thanks for your concern and advice.

Mother of all adventures/shenanigans....Well I applaud your determination. Hell, that alone counts for tons with me.

What was the school you got kicked out of?

Is there a chance you can become baller famous and somehow take your revenge?

the saga continues...

Hey don't worry about it, quite a few med students got kicked out, and got reaccepted to either another US med school or a Caribbean school, did well on Step 1, and got a pretty good residency on the first try. Program directors are more interested as to what type of person you are. But this did not come easy. You need to MURDER Step 1 and 2.

If the dismissal was for behavior or cheating though, then you'd be S.O.L.

you need to stop what you're doing and get a lawyer NOW. if you call and threaten them, they will not be scared. if a lawyer who is experienced in such matters calls on your behalf, it's a different story.

Also, document every single interaction you have with the school.

good luck,
s

glad to hear things are working out for you.

Last edited:
I might actually hold off on the lawyer. In my experience with these academic **** will clam up if a lawyer is involved. He should be used as a last resort. I'd get meetings (with the top people). In my friend's case, his mom begged for some recourse and a bone was thrown.
We are all serfs and with the increased survellience in all spheres and unaccountable boards, it will get worse.

"financial problems?", let me guess: NYMC? I had a friend that went there and the cluster**** involved there is legend, but not well known outside of alumni. Their drop out rates are artificially minimized; they often count academic distressed folk as personal drop outs, through encouraging them to get out before the axe drops.

Did you miss the timestamp or something?

only one right way to kill it...

awkward%20turtle.jpg

Realizing that I posted in this thread over 2 years ago makes me sad. I can only imagine how sad I will be in two years when this thread gets revived again.

On the plus side, maybe we'll get another update from the OP? I wonder if the Caribbean worked out.

in 4 2010 update (5 year update), after OP posted 3 year update in '08.

not to resurface old wounds, but does anyone know how hard it is to get kicked out of med school? what percentage of people don't graduate in 4 years?