Kids in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTDR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have kids in dental school or right after dental school? Does anyone know of anyone doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

FUTDR said:
Is it possible to have kids in dental school or right after dental school? Does anyone know of anyone doing this?
anything's possible :) i do know of a female dentist i worked around that had a child strategically the month after she graduated from dental school and then had another one a few years later - she is doing quite well in her practice considering she has two young kids and she is in her early 30s.

FUTDR said:

I saw a pregnant dental student during my interview day. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's encouraging to hear. I will be starting dental school when I am 30 so it is a concern of mine. I would like to do both-have a career and kids.

I'll be starting at Pacific this summer, and I have 3 kids. At my interview, one of the interviewers told me they have at least a dozen students with kids, and one student had 6 kids!

i saw some students pregnant too. and their husbands were their classmates!

there were a couple pregnant 4-years at UW last year, from what I remember. I heard a story also about one year a pregnant student taking state boards and having her water break in the middle of it all, and managing to pass boards beautifully and rush to the hospital and have her baby. It definitely shows that dedication and ability to handle stressful situations that we all try to showcase at our interviews.

I sure hope it is possible since I have two already and will be starting dental school this fall. I just plan on putting in that extra time to make it work. Maybe I'm in for a big shock though. But lately, I've been working 40+ hours a week, plus going to school full time, so I don't see how it could be harder than that.

Gosh, I really appreciate all your input. Wow, I did not realize that there were so many people who have kids going into dental school or are having then during school. Not to say things won't go smoothly but just in case it gets to hard to be preganent while in school like being in bed rest or whatever, will the dental school let you take a year off?

I've got a good friend who just found out she's pregnant, and starting with the class of 05. So...I assume the baby will come sometime in the Spring of 06, smack in dental school. Like I always say, "life" goes on even in dental school ... It's definitely do-able

FUTDR said:

did you seriously post this ???

hahahahaha

having them with the adcoms increases admission chances as well

mikhiel said:
there were a couple pregnant 4-years at UW last year, from what I remember. I heard a story also about one year a pregnant student taking state boards and having her water break in the middle of it all, and managing to pass boards beautifully and rush to the hospital and have her baby. It definitely shows that dedication and ability to handle stressful situations that we all try to showcase at our interviews.

no that shows stupidity.

I loved dentistry but its gonna make me have to have stupid decisions like that in my life.

thats crazy. probably a lie too.

Not all of us going to dental school are 21, which from your post you must be younger (in your early 20's) and having a family is not important to you now or at all, which is fine. Everyone has different priorities in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
FUTDR said:
Not all of us going to dental school are 21, which from your post you must be younger (in your early 20's) and having a family is not important to you now or at all, which is fine. Everyone has different priorities in life.

don't sweat it, FUTDR. 99% of his posts are negative.

IWuvTeef said:
don't sweat it, FUTDR. 99% of his posts are negative.

I see. Thanks for letting me know. I did not realize that about his posts. I just found it uncalled for since this is a forum for questions.

FUTDR said:
I see. Thanks for letting me know. I did not realize that about his posts. I just found it uncalled for since this is a forum for questions.
Yup, there are some folks on here whose advice you should be a little bit wary of. Delicious is another one, although he's toned it down a little (I think he was sarcastic in most of his wacky posts, but I'm still not sure). Heck, I guess you should be wary of us all since it's an anonymous forum, and we could all just be a bunch of wackos posing as future dentists. :)

I will be starting d-school this fall w/3 kids as well... BTW, I'm the mom, not the dad. :D

Typo said:
Yup, there are some folks on here whose advice you should be a little bit wary of. Delicious is another one, although he's toned it down a little (I think he was sarcastic in most of his wacky posts, but I'm still not sure). Heck, I guess you should be wary of us all since it's an anonymous forum, and we could all just be a bunch of wackos posing as future dentists. :)

Oh my lord!! :eek: Yes, I was totally being sarcastic. I made the realization a while ago that most people didn't catch it, so I've toned down recently. Oh my gosh, you've made me feel so bad now... comparing me to vertical bite!! :(

FUTDR said:

Sure it's possible. I have two children by different mothers. However, I'm not currently speaking to either of the moms, so I guess its been pretty easy for me so far. I guess I'm gonna get it hard once I start making a bunch of money and get sued for not paying tons of child support.

FUTDR...

I know you want to have kids, but in dental school, thats going to be tough.... As it is, its going to be difficult four years, going through a pregnancy, while in school will be very stressful. You should atleast wait the first two years to pass by, from what Ive heard, you are in class all day, from morning till anywhere between 5-9pm , and then you have to go home and study... I am not a mother, but I dont see how you would have time for a newborn. Your marks would suffer, especially if you didnt get enought sleep at night (if you child is up, then you are up)

NOw... in year 3 or 4, ive heard the clinical is not as bad, you have more time to do other things. That might be a better time to consider having kids...

I dont mean to sound negative or to discourage you, believe me I want to have kids too, part of the reason I am choosing dentistry, but I know people in dental school now, and they all say its very hard to find time to other stuff, you have exams almost every week.

All the best for the future

I'm going to be starting dental school in the fall also, and I have a daughter. I think there are a pretty good number of students with children at the school I am going to attend, so I would definantly say it is doable.
I do think it would be pretty hard to be pregnant and/or have a newborn while in school though.

dentist_to_be? said:
FUTDR...

I know you want to have kids, but in dental school, thats going to be tough.... As it is, its going to be difficult four years, going through a pregnancy, while in school will be very stressful. You should atleast wait the first two years to pass by, from what Ive heard, you are in class all day, from morning till anywhere between 5-9pm , and then you have to go home and study... I am not a mother, but I dont see how you would have time for a newborn. Your marks would suffer, especially if you didnt get enought sleep at night (if you child is up, then you are up)

NOw... in year 3 or 4, ive heard the clinical is not as bad, you have more time to do other things. That might be a better time to consider having kids...

I dont mean to sound negative or to discourage you, believe me I want to have kids too, part of the reason I am choosing dentistry, but I know people in dental school now, and they all say its very hard to find time to other stuff, you have exams almost every week.

All the best for the future
Thanks for your advice. I am actually not sure when I would want to have them but surely not in the next two years. There would be no one to take care of them. I was more inquirying to find out what my options are. Being preganent would be hard. Not sure if I could do both at the same time. ;)

:thumbup: hehe goodluck to you :luck:

My daughter will be 1 when I start DS at UNC this August. Right now I'm at home full-time with her. I have secured a spot at a good daycare near our place so I hope everything works out!
Good luck!

I think that people are talking about 2 different scenarios

1. Entering dental school with children

2. Actually being pregnant and having the child while in dental school.

Obviously the first situation is done all of the time and is do-able. The second one seems much more complicated. In a typical work environment, women take off up to 5 months (at least in California). To me, I don't see how a dental student can even take off 2 months. How could someone make up that amount of material? I understand that accidents happen and life must go on and all of that. But why would someone plan on putting herself in that position of catching up?

Maybe this would be a better question for the "dental" thread; they could give you a more informed answer about how it was handled in their programs.