KimCox

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bossman1818, Oct 24, 2001.

1. bossman1818

bossman1818 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi
    I was just wondering, I am a Canadian student currently applying to Irish Medical schools, and someday I hope to land a general surgery residency in the States. Can you just give me some kind of idea about how possible this dream/plan is of mine. If I do well in school, is it qutie possible, or am I destined for IM!!! thanks

2. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Obviously its possible - otherwise I wouldn't be here. General Surgery, like most other fields, runs in cycles with regard to its popularity. Right now its at its ebb - 5 years from now, around when you will be applying, the situation could be quite different.

Being a Canadian contemplating attending a foreign school, I am sure you aware of the difficulties in practicing medicine in the provinces. Therefore, I assume you will be applying to US residencies - the difficulties in getting one depends on so many factors that I would be unfair for me to assess your situation. The best you can do is the best you can do.

Best of luck to you and feel free to email me (my email is listed in my profile) if you should have further questions.

3. tussy

tussy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bossman,

I am a canadian general surgery resident. I am curious as to why you are considering an american gen surg program rather than doing your residency in Canada. Canadian gen surg programs are excellent, and are well respected south of the border. Many canadian residents go south of the border following their residency and are quite frequently accepted into quite competative fellowships.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tussy...I think you might be reading my reply to Bossman and assuming my words were his. He hasn't said that he is only applying to US gen surg residencies - rather, I ASSUMED he was because of the near impossibility of getting a Canadian residency for citizens trained abroad (he mentions possibily studying in Ireland). All of my Canadian classmates in Australia told me that it would likely be impossible to return to Canada for training. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

5. tussy

tussy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Kim,

Sorry, i didn't read the original post as closely as i should have. It is quite difficult to get a canadian residency for foreign grads, even if they are canadian to start with. It's of the unfortuate weaknesses of canadian medical education system.

6. bossman1818

bossman1818 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunatly, both of you are correct

The medical system right now in Canada does not favor upon foreign medical students not matter where you have completed training or what your marks in med school were. This is indeed quite sad because of the lack of physicians we have in Canada and the hesitence of the government to make med school class sizes bigger. (okay, granted, they increased them by about 20 seats in certain schools... that'll do it!) Despite this fact, I would like it to be known that I do not want to attend a foreign medical school just to jump the pre-med scene, or because I think it is too tough to get into medical school here. I have many legitamate reasons for wishing to pursue a medical degree elsewhere, and absolutly have not problem with working in the States after. I wish I could stay in Canada (love it) but it may come time to say goodbye- maybe when I graduate in six years, things will have changed. Thank-you both for your replies.