kind of a weird situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so right now I have an "activity" which is really hard for me to classify:

I basically work a few hours a week in a medical office and am paid to do so, so it's not exactly volunteer...

But the guy I work for is cheap (extremely so) and worked out a deal where me and other employees are paid in cash, so that he doesn't pay anything in taxes or our health insurance or anything.

So instead of calling us his employees, we're like independent contractors (for lack of a better word) who work for him.

My income from this is also low enough that I don't report it on my taxes.

In short, it's not quite volunteering, not quite a job, not really shadowing...so what is it???

Members don't see this ad.

...its a job.

Why do people always make things more difficult than they actually are??? You can list it as whatever the hell you want as long as you can defend and talk about it to the adcoms. Geez.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you work for a guy like that? Quit.
And did you get paid for it? Yes? It's a job. Life ain't that complicated.

FYI, if he doesn't turn in any tax forms for you and you don't file tax forms yourself, you're both party to tax fraud. If this guy has several people doing it, he could easily be found out, and you'd get in trouble as well.

FYI, if he doesn't turn in any tax forms for you and you don't file tax forms yourself, you're both party to tax fraud. If this guy has several people doing it, he could easily be found out, and you'd get in trouble as well.

True but to say that the IRS is running around looking for every person paying or being paid "under the table" is crazy.

Concur with the above posts.

OP, it's a job, nothing else. It's not that complicated. It's simply a job where you and your employer are in violation of tax laws. Honestly, though, I'd find another job. You don't want to work for someone like that.

True but to say that the IRS is running around looking for every person paying or being paid "under the table" is crazy.

True, but a medical doctor who appears to be running an office with no staff is certainly suspicious.

I don't think anyone was saying that, least of all me. But if it came to the attention of the right people, I'm sure they'd take a moderate interest. It's like speeding. You take a calculated risk that you won't get caught.

you get paid, it's a job. Wasn't that easy?!

NPH