Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in kind of in desperate need of help here and tho this may be a bit long, i appreciate any and all help you can send my way. I've trolled the site long enough and i think it's time i got in and asked.

For starters, a little about me. I'm 24, a little over a year out of college and for a while didn't know what i wanted to do. I've always had an interest in medicine but it wasn't until i settled down and gave it some thought that i decided to got for my EMT cert and check out first hand the medical field. Tho i know medicine and EMT aren't the same thing, i did get to see an aspect of medical and not only did i discover i'm pretty good at it, i have a passion for it. This pretty much gave me the kick i needed to see that medicine is what i've always wanted to do and now i'm trying to get farther on my way toward med school.

My problem is, i have a crappy GPA, don't have much in terms of finances and worst of all, don't have a guide to get into med school, but i have a plan.

So far, my undergrad GPA was 2.7... abysmal, i know. I have volunteered in a clinic for a few months and have worked research for a year with a neuropsychiatrist (don't know if that helps.) I plan to take my science pre-reqs at a community college cause to be honest, i can't afford a postbacc. I also hope to find a place to volunteer more as an EMT. I'm also a URM and don't know if that will help/hinder any. I know i need to do pretty good on the MCAT so i'm waiting till after a few science classes to take it (a year or so)... i'm a pretty good writer so i'm not too worried about the verbal.

So, here's where i come to you wise ones for advice. Basically, what are my chances considering my age, URM status, small amount of experience in medicine, GPA and taking classes in CC?... what advice can you give me?

Please don't crush my dream, i'm desperate to hear good news (and bad too come to think of it) but more importantly, any kind of advice.

Thank you!

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
You have to get your GPA up to 3.0. You can retake classes you did really bad in and DO schools will replace the grade. And/or you could do an SMP program or post-bac (I know about the money issues). If you're truly dedicated to going to medical school, you're going to have to go into great debt (not many full-rides out there)! So, it may take some more debt to get you into med school.

URM status will help as long as you're truly URM. CC classes are ok, some schools might not like it (usually the most selective ones). Don't assume good writing=good verbal reasoning score. Verbal destroys a LOT of people! It's more about critically reasoning through a passage and properly interpreting the questions.

Good luck.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i think it will take more than a year's worth of good grades to convince them. you'll need at least two anyway to finish the pre-req's assuming you didn't complete any of them during your undergrad. you'll also need to work on your extracurriculars and should look into volunteering at a hospital, research, and/or community service. I'm sorry but this process is a long one and I don't believe that one year of even stellar performance should convince adcoms that you've demonstrated you're ready to be a doctor.

Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
i think it will take more than a year's worth of good grades to convince them. you'll need at least two anyway to finish the pre-req's assuming you didn't complete any of them during your undergrad. you'll also need to work on your extracurriculars and should look into volunteering at a hospital, research, and/or community service. I'm sorry but this process is a long one and I don't believe that one year of even stellar performance should convince adcoms that you've demonstrated you're ready to be a doctor.
Thank you so much for the answer. Sorry, i didn't clarify earlier. I know it's gonna take longer to get into med school. I just want to take my MCAT within a year... with luck i can start to apply in two, but realistically, i'm shooting at 3.

Is there a thread for finding research?

Also, would you happen to know if CC classes will improve my GPA or have no effect?

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
All college level courses will count towards your cumulative GPA equally.

Why rush the MCAT?? You should take it during the spring of the year you are applying.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Why rush the MCAT?? You should take it during the spring of the year you are applying.
Agreed, or at the earliest, the fall before applying. Some schools expire the score in two years. Many in three. A few in 4-10 years. You have to keep an eye on that with yor preferred schools (MSAR has the info).

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Focus on DO schools....they grade replace and have a lesser stats requirements.

And they in general are more forgiving.

It will take you several yrs to get back to where you need to be.

It took my several yrs to take all the prereqs because I had to pay for them as I went.

How bad you want it? DO WORK!!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
you still have time to improve your grades. Retake all the classes you did badly in and do well on the mcat. If you can do that and do well in those things. Then your dream with succeed.
However the most important thing to remember is to figure out where the problem was. Why did you do so badly in school? Was it because you partied alot? Or because you simply didn't care. Either way find the problem and fix it. That should be your goal.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone, thank you so much for the info. It's really a big help. As for fixing the grades i didn't do so well in, how can i go about doing that? I already graduated. Would it be possible to do any of this at a CC?

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
While taking classes at a four-year school is preferred, yes, you can retake courses at a CC if economic/scheduling/distance issues are a factor. If you want to qualify for DO med schools' grade replacement policy, the retaken course must have the same number of credit hours or greater. The name of the class need not be identical, but the description of the course (in the course catalog) should demonstrate the same content.

Apr 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in kind of in desperate need of help here and tho this may be a bit long, i appreciate any and all help you can send my way. I've trolled the site long enough and i think it's time i got in and asked.

For starters, a little about me. I'm 24, a little over a year out of college and for a while didn't know what i wanted to do. I've always had an interest in medicine but it wasn't until i settled down and gave it some thought that i decided to got for my EMT cert and check out first hand the medical field. Tho i know medicine and EMT aren't the same thing, i did get to see an aspect of medical and not only did i discover i'm pretty good at it, i have a passion for it. This pretty much gave me the kick i needed to see that medicine is what i've always wanted to do and now i'm trying to get farther on my way toward med school.

My problem is, i have a crappy GPA, don't have much in terms of finances and worst of all, don't have a guide to get into med school, but i have a plan.

So far, my undergrad GPA was 2.7... abysmal, i know. I have volunteered in a clinic for a few months and have worked research for a year with a neuropsychiatrist (don't know if that helps.) I plan to take my science pre-reqs at a community college cause to be honest, i can't afford a postbacc. I also hope to find a place to volunteer more as an EMT. I'm also a URM and don't know if that will help/hinder any. I know i need to do pretty good on the MCAT so i'm waiting till after a few science classes to take it (a year or so)... i'm a pretty good writer so i'm not too worried about the verbal.

So, here's where i come to you wise ones for advice. Basically, what are my chances considering my age, URM status, small amount of experience in medicine, GPA and taking classes in CC?... what advice can you give me?

Please don't crush my dream, i'm desperate to hear good news (and bad too come to think of it) but more importantly, any kind of advice.

Thank you!

Our stories are rather similar-- in fact, I had to stop after the first couple of sentences and ask if it I'd just gone nuts and forgotten I'd posted.

I, too, am 24, and a college graduate. I finished my undergrad in 2008 with a 3.28 GPA as an English Teaching major. During my junior year of college (2007) I decided I try my hand at being an EMT, to scratch my "medicinal itch." I loved it (at first... but that's a whole other story...). The summer after I graduated with my bachelors, I was offered a full time position with a local ambulance service (paid, obviously) and I took it instead of continuing onto graduate school (which I was also accepted into). After a year or so as an EMT, I decided I needed more... I wanted med school. But, I had NONE of my prereqs (as I was an English major). Without much of a science background to my name, I started at Northeastern University in Boston in their post-bac program, on a part time basis, while working full time as an EMT and also in the cardiology department of my local hospital. I've managed to pull a 4.0 so far in pb, but still have a long road ahead of me (half of chem, ochem, and physics... not to mention the MCAT).

My advice if this; don't take your prereqs at a community college. I know some people here will disagree with this, but I had to attend a "well known" university after going to my state university just to get the "name" in there for post bac. Unfortunately, AdComs DO judge where you got those credits from (to an extent), and if they see you took your prereqs at a CC, they will assume you "took the easy way out." Now, I know, and you know, that we can't generalize CC's as all being "easier" than universities. A lot depends on the teacher, the class, etc. But then again, life is full of generalizations and assumptions-- and that's a lot of what AAMC is about. As far as the money goes-- save, save, save, and TAKE YOUR TIME. I, too, am poor as dirt. I make $12/hr working in one of the most underpaid states for EMS (for those of you who DONT know, EMS is not the job you go into for money), and have been forced to move in with my mother at almost 25 years old. I have given up going out to eat, going "partying", shopping, or whatever other "un-medical school-oriented" pleasures I once had, just to pay tuition every semester. Unfortunately, I can only afford to take 1-2 classes/quarter (yes... we run on the quester system with 6 week intensive classes). Even then I worry about being able to afford it. It's going to take me another year and a half to complete what I could do in a year. And I commute an hour into Boston after working all day, getting home after midnight and working at 5am the next morning. The point in all this rambling is, you do what you have to do to get what you want. Being a doctor has to be the most important thing in the world to you (sadly) and you have to feel as if you want it more than anyone out there--

Whatever it takes.

Good luck.