1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

kinda feeling like #@*!, I got a C in Bio. Retake?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RadMD1day, May 3, 2007.

1. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just found out this morning. The sad thing is I go to a CC and I made the 2nd highest grade in the class (77.4). I missed a couple of labs due to the kids being sick, and their is a quiz each time. Then that same week did not know there was a quiz online.
    I am sooooo bummed. :( :( :( Should I retake it? Its the second Gen. Bio class .
    Made a B on the first one.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RowaH

2+ Year Member

From your post, I can deduce that it you have a terrible/uncaring professor. I've had bad professors as well. The trick is to research which professors are the best in advance.

If you do decide to retake it, make sure you retake it with a "good professor."

4. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yes

5. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No

6. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    I'd take a higher level Biology class (Genetics, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Histology, etc.) and get an A in that. Retaking General Biology II isn't going to help you as much.

Best,
    -z

7. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I don't know your age but for God's sake will u guys stop all this crap. You go to a college where the students and professors are Homo sapiens right? why can't you complain to your classmates and professors. If it's not fair, lodge a complain to appropriate authorities. There is nothing anybody on sdn can do. If we all complain about trivial issues like yours, sdn will be unbearable to everybody.

For the last time, C (+,- or whatever your unranked cc college gives u) is not the end of the word. Its Gen. Bio no one cares. Do your worst and run your own ****ing race.

If you are smart enough to know that having kids while in college is a nice thing to do, then you are smart enough to know the next thing to do.

Enough is Enough...If you find it hard to make basic decisions like this, then you not mature enough to go to med school.

Who cares, you're not wasting my time!!! Keep retaking it until you make A+.

8. Nyx1622

2+ Year Member

It is much better to take a harder biology course, and ace it. Not that we should be using med admission committees to dictate our lives, but they generally are not impressed by retakes, even if you get an A in the course the second time.

9. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Someone needs a nap.

10. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

i agree! ;)

11. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    You want to go into Rads one day? :laugh:

12. RDickerson

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Who are you to mock what someone wants to do with their life one day?

How pathetic.

13. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I will mock all I want if someone can't make a basic decision. It's not rocket science.

Who are you to show up with an avatar as gay as yours?

How pathetic.

14. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well that certainly spiced up this thread

*grabs chips*

15. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Exactly.
    who wants to bet that her next thread will be... I got a B+ in Gen Bio II ( after retaking it five times), can i still match into RADs?

16. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the future, if you miss any sort of evaluation due to sickness, you should consult with your professor immediately and try to arrange makeups.

I think that trends are better than retaking - that's time and money wasted, unless you are 100% sure you can get an A. Kick ass on future bio classes and this will be seen as a fluke.

17. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    She is never gonna kick ass on any exam because posting trivial issues on sdn is easier than studying.

18. Revilla

Revilla New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think she said it wasn't an accredited institution, unless I missed something.

19. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Edited: my bad you're right, didn't say anything about accreditation, fixed.

20. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc

21. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

First, Eternal Rage, most Community Colleges ARE accredited institutions, so your post is a crock! Second, most medical schools ACCEPT CC credits. So again, your post is a crock!

Second, do you people get off on insulting people? What the hell is the matter with you? so she asked if she should take it again. How about exercising a little courtesy and realizing that what she's really asking is "are medical schools going to look down on this?" That is NOT a common sense question since most people on this site will tell you that getting a C in an important pre-req like Bio at a CC IS the end of the world. Is it? No. But how would a newcomer without an adviser and who visits this board know that?

OP, it's finals week at many schools and people are on edge. If I was you, I'd take the C (it wasn't a C- was it? Because some schools won't take a C- in a pre-req or so I've been told), and kick a** in your next Bio course. Are you a nontrad doing post-bacc or are you planning on continuing your education at a 4-year school?

Also, if you're planning on applying to DO schools, it might be worth retaking the C. DO schools will replace a grade instead of averaging. For MD schools, they'll average, so even if you retake and get an A, your grade will really only be a B for MD schools. Therefore, it's not worth it when you can take a higher level Bio course and get an A in that instead.

22. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry, fixed it, you'll have to excuse me I've been inhaling powdered LB all day and I'm not myself...

23. RDickerson

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They do count, however I've always heard it's really looked down upon.

OP: Taking that into account, it may be best for you to re-take it at a 4-year accredited. Your C from the community college will be averaged in, but if you pull that up to an A at a four year, it will look much more favorable, along with doing well in some upper level biology courses.

Best of luck.

24. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical

25. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Firstly, I was confused, I used the SEARCH FUNCTION, and fixed my post.

Although vbulletin's search function generally sucks, the noobs should at least try to use it.

And although it's not a common sense question, it's a SEARCH THE FORUMS question. Most people on the site will tell you that it ISN'T the end of the world. Go back up there and count... FOUR people said don't retake (not including you). TWO said retake.

26. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Better communication with the prof. probably would've gotten you the B..But I wouldn't fret over a C in Bio2. IF you do decide to retake it, you must get an A (or face some tough questions come interview time). I say move on and nail some upper div. bio classes. Getting an A in genetics (somewhat related to bio2) would be a good fix for this C.

I don't know why CCs have a reputation for being easy (although I attended one of the "best" in the country)..I had a prof for Bio1 that made us memorize the amino acids and enzymes of glycolysis :eek: Needless to say, As were scarce in his class.

27. RDickerson

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Although it looks like it, I don't think medschoolwanna was talking about you. Or, well if they were then they are just confused. I didn't see you insult anyone. Oh, also congrats on Houston, I'll be applying there next year.

28. RockShox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let me start by saying that taking the class again is a waste of time. The only reason to consider it is if you feel your personal knowledge of bio is poor and you need to understand it. Retaking it DOES NOT erase the grade everyone will see it and some may still make you explain it. But I really think as long as you do well in the future no one is going to care. (Summary: Don't retake the class)

Next: The road you are taking is full of little bumps and stuff that will not go your way and you have a LONG way to go yet. When you take Path in Med school or do an internal medicine clerkship your little bio grade will seem as important as 1st grade penmenship. Just keep it in perspective and realize that the harder you cling to excessive needs of perfection the more the med school route will beat it out of you. Most med schools aren't looking for the perfect. They are looking for the stable, the mature individuals who know how to make it smell sweet when crap is hitting the fan, those who do not freak when something goes south.

I am sure you will be fine good luck on your future courses.

29. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I realized that and edited my post (damn you guys are fast in picking up stuff and clicking the quote button). Powdered LB. Brain swimming.

Still though, I can understand how some people take these threads lightly. They can be avoided with search function.

30. RockShox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not to make light of the difficulty but in med school you pretty much have to memorize these things in one day along with krebs, protein anabolic and catabolic pathways. Of course thats just one class. Lucky most of us had at least 3 undergrad classes that made us do this so it gets easier.

31. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Just curious, why does everyone seem to automatically assume the OP didn't deserve the grade they got? "Better communication," may not have done anything. Yes, they missed a couple of labs and certainly that hurts your grade. The other was a quiz they missed. However, the OP didn't mention test scores, HWs, etc. Maybe those lab quizzes are minimally important, and the 77.4 average was basically test grades; not all classes curve. I've been in plenty of classes set on a strict point system, and 77.4 is about a C.

32. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well she did say that she was 2nd in her class. If that is true, and your logic is correct, then everyone got C's or failed.

33. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    They obviously didn't study. Gen Bio isn't a difficult class, especially at the CC level.

34. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Wouldn't be the first time, although the professor would have to be a total *** and might get some heat from parents and the department. It is improbable, but not impossible.

35. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    o snap.

medstudentwanna is going to FLIP

*giddy

36. twohearted

twohearted The whistle go . . .
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How annoying! I mean the nerve of some people actually coming to SDN for advice! The OP clearly should have realized that an anonymous message board is no place for asking such beginner questions. What a noob. I think that the administrators should ban everyone who isn't cool like us. This board should only be used by people who are awesome and already have the med school admissions process figured out! Please no more questions seeking advice. Only posts mocking those not as leet as we are, please.

37. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    finally someone gets it

gold star for you

38. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yay instigators!

But seriously, I *just* finished my Principles of Biology II class today, after a wondrous 150 question final, and you couldn't pay me to retake the class. I don't care if I failed, I'll switch my damn major. That class was a royal pain in the a**. If I were you, I wouldn't retake the class. Just show that infamous upward trend!

And whoever it was who said they went to the best community college in the nation...uhh...it's a community college. That might not be something you want to brag about. Community colleges are thought of as being easier than four year colleges because...well...they are. :idea:

39. What a jerkoff.

As to the OP - I feel for you, but I would not retake. The major blemish on my transcript is a C in calculus, and in its place, I've been running As in everything since then (Spring 2004). Do what you can to ensure "reasonable" professors later on, and move on.

Incidentally, I had a similar problem with a professor-that-shouldn't-be with calc. Suffice it to say that I was later told by the chair of the department that everybody, their mother, their dog, their cat, and their gastrointestinal bacteria came to him to complain after that lady taught. She was not at my university the following semester.

Just my opinion, though. If you need to retake it for your own reasons, then by all means, go for it.

40. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unless you think you can pull straight A's in everything else I'd retake this.

41. wont

2+ Year Member

Don't even half way consider re-taking this. It will not prove anything. Just keep swimming - and get A's on the rest of your coursework. Most schools won't even let you re-take unless you get below a C. Take upper div. courses and prove that you can do the work - they will never even think about the C.

42. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm SO glad that some of the individuals on this thread will be (or at least hope to be) my colleagues. I mean, you guys seem like such GREAT team players! At least if I wind up in a residency program with you you'll be a subordinate. Maybe you'll have learned to be a decent human being by then. If not, I'm sure there's plenty of scut to be done. Bad attitudes DO catch up with you eventually, guys. Learn to play nice in the sandbox.

BTW, for the record, cracking on the fact she has kids is PARTICULARLY immature and shows a total lack of understanding of the human experience. Why do you assume that because she has children she must be some sort of alcoholic slut who doesn't know who the babies daddys are? Perhaps she's a young married woman who happens to feel strongly about starting a family. How dare you judge someone for that? Maybe she's an older lady, who decided she wanted to go back to school to become a doctor. Who are you to begrudge the fact that she had a family before making that decision. God forbid, maybe she messed up in high school and had some kids with johnny q-back, and is trying to turn her life around now. Does that make her dumb? No, it makes her a human who made a mistake, which is something I'm sure you've NEVER done! Get ready for medical school, bub, because if you're this judgmental now, your head's gonna explode when you start meeting real people on the wards.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to actually give the OP advice! You need to be really truthful with yourself about whether you actually learned the material well or not. The important stuff isn't the phylogeny and plants bull, it's the cell bio and the mammalian physiology. If you have a good firm comprehension of that stuff, and your grade was simply the result of missing some assignments, then I do NOT recommend wasting your time retaking. I DO recommend finding a little bit more reputable place to take classes than a CC, it's just my opinion but I think you'd be dinged for taking all your coursework there. You're gonna have to go to a 4 year school eventually anyway to finish up the BS/BA, so you might as well take your sciences once you get there, when they'll carry more weight. Make up for the low grade by taking a relevant upper level class and really rocking it. Genetics, Physio, Histo, Immuno would be relevant for med school. Seeing that improvement in your grades will mean more than showing you can get an A in a class after taking it TWICE. A drunk monkey should be able to do that :) On the other hand, if you don't feel you have a good understanding of general bio, you need to figure out a way to remediate yourself. I would still only retake the course if you feel like it's the best way for you to personally get the information into your brain, not just to make the grade look better. Of course, if you DO retake, you HAVE to get an A. Again, just my opinion, but if somebody couldn't get an A in general bio on try 2, I'd be concerned if I were on an adcom. Good luck to you, and try to ignore the social rejects that float around here.

43. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks MattD! Thanks for the true advice! I do find it hard that people who are EXTREMELY arrogant and rude with no people skills would be able to pursue medicine, but who knows, maybe med school will actually bring them down a level! ;)
    Anywho...Yes, I am a nontrad, married wife of 2 kids who decided to go back to school in my 30's. got engaged young, right after high school, had medical issues (5 surgerys), but am finally at a state in my life where I can pursue what I have a driven desire for.
    The premed advisors here are really no help....at all.
    As far as the Bio II , I had an 84 in lecture, it was the labs that I missed due to my kids getting really sick. 2 weeks with one , 2 weeks with the other....So I missed 2 labs, with 2 lab quizzes (she gave one every week)....
    I honestly feel like I deserved better. I am the study freak, I study every day, so I know the material. Her grading is extremely steep with NO wiggle and NO exceptions.
    Most people made D's and I know that at least 2 people failed. so i honestly feel it was just a hard grading professor.
    I am transferring to 4 yr in fall and taking ochem and a couple upper level bio courses. Still trying to decide between bio major or spanish major.
    Thanks for the honest input!

44. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I could redo anything from ugrad, it would be to take some spanish classes. It's sooo important if you work anywhere with a sizable hispanic population. I wouldn't have MAJORED in it, but at least gotten to a decent level of conversational ability :)

45. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here is my guide to retaking classes: If you feel that you have mastered the material in the course well enough to do well on the MCAT, then don't retake this class. Take an higher numbered class (with the same number of credit hours) and do well.

Pre-reqs taken at a community college can more than fulfill your needs in terms of the MCAT but you have to be sure that this is the case. On the MCAT website, there is a list of topics that are tested on the MCAT exam. If your course covered these and your feel that you have mastered the material, regardless of grade, then don't retake. A "C" in General Biology is better than an "D" or "F" so take a higher course and leave your "C" alone.

It is very difficult to take care of children and go to school. In the future, try to make sure that your courses leave enough "wiggle-room" for you to be able to respond to emergencies. As others have advised, contact your instructor as soon as you have an emergency and explain the situation. You may be able to do a "project" or alternative work that will help your grade. Most instructors will attempt to work with you so that you maximize your mastery of your coursework.

Pre-req courses at a community college, as long as they cover the MCAT subject matter well, are just fine. Many people have gotten into medical school taking their pre-med courses at a community college. Just be sure that the course is in sufficient depth for your needs. If not, then retake at another institution that will meet your needs.