Kinda stuck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cashmoney805

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm taking the MCAT on Aug 25th, but right now I'm kinda unsure how to go about studying. I went through all the EK books and quizzes in them and am going through the 101 Verbal passages now. I also have the Kaplan books, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or just a total waste of time to go through them to see if I missed anything. I started doing that today, and the Kaplan books go into SO much detail, more detail then I think would be required for the MCAT
I also think it would be a poor use of my time to try to memorize everything (especially Bio) because it seems like you have to be familiar with the concepts and just be able to apply them on the test. So can anyone recommend what to do from here on out besides order full length MCATs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm taking the MCAT on Aug 25th, but right now I'm kinda unsure how to go about studying. I went through all the EK books and quizzes in them and am going through the 101 Verbal passages now. I also have the Kaplan books, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or just a total waste of time to go through them to see if I missed anything. I started doing that today, and the Kaplan books go into SO much detail, more detail then I think would be required for the MCAT
I also think it would be a poor use of my time to try to memorize everything (especially Bio) because it seems like you have to be familiar with the concepts and just be able to apply them on the test. So can anyone recommend what to do from here on out besides order full length MCATs? Thanks.

I have a great idea. I was going to try this out myself but maybe you can do this and tell me how it works out. So what I think you should do is after you have gone through your initial study material (EK in your case), you should start doing practice passages and FL tests. WHEN AND ONLY WHEN you get something wrong refer to the kaplan book. My theory is why read the whole book if you know most of the material anyway. If you were going to do both books you should have done it initially during content review. This way you can go over ONLY things that you get wrong or don't understand too well. No use in reading something again if you understand it and get it right on FLs (Note that the exception to this is if you understand it but don't do it fast enough, but then again that is considered the same thing as not having it mastered). Once you get something wrong then go all out and use all your materials.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

EDIT: Until then maybe you could get your hands on the EK 1001 books and TPR science workbook to see how well you know everything before beginning practice tests. You have 2 and a half weeks at least before you have to start AAMC FLs.

Last edited: