kindly help....uop or nyu...cant decide ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alabama79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi sdn friends ....i received an acceptance call from pacific university .....letting me know that i am next on the waitlist and that there is an opening....well i was all set to attend NYU...from 31st july......i have to let them know about my decision by monday.....i need help to reach a quick and wise decision .....few of the decision driving points .......three yr /two yr .....cost of nyu 3 yr program...168,384...only tution and bks instru.....UOP 2yr program cost 158,088....tution and bks ...so ill save only 10,000.....well I live in michigan so distance is a disadvantage for both....i wanted to know about differences in reputation of both universities...and differences in the quality of education recieved at the two universities....any kind of advice is well come ...thanx friends .... :)

Members don't see this ad.

alabama79 said:
hi sdn friends ....i received an acceptance call from pacific university .....letting me know that i am next on the waitlist and that there is an opening....well i was all set to attend NYU...from 31st july......i have to let them know about my decision by monday.....i need help to reach a quick and wise decision .....few of the decision driving points .......three yr /two yr .....cost of nyu 3 yr program...168,384...only tution and bks instru.....UOP 2yr program cost 158,088....tution and bks ...so ill save only 10,000.....well I live in michigan so distance is a disadvantage for both....i wanted to know about differences in reputation of both universities...and differences in the quality of education recieved at the two universities....any kind of advice is well come ...thanx friends .... :)

Congrats!! Pacific hands down!!!It has the name, it's two years and 10000 dollars lesser... what more can you expect... gosh you must be on cloud 9!! Congrats... If not for anything choose pacific for 2 years lesser time away from home.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

g3k said:
Congrats!! Pacific hands down!!!It has the name, it's two years and 10000 dollars lesser... what more can you expect... gosh you must be on cloud 9!! Congrats... If not for anything choose pacific for 2 years lesser time away from home.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

thanx for replying ....61 read the thread only you removed the time to reply ...sweet of u thanx ...yup im tooooo much in shock cause i was all set mentally to spend three years in nyu....i too feel inclined towards pacific only thing is it is on west coast and i intend to practice on the east coast...so i am not sure of its reputation on this coast also as far as the NERB exam preparations go im a little worried ...but i cant complain or ask for any better surprise :)

Members don't see this ad :)
alabama79 said:
thanx for replying ....61 read the thread only you removed the time to reply ...sweet of u thanx ...yup im tooooo much in shock cause i was all set mentally to spend three years in nyu....i too feel inclined towards pacific only thing is it is on west coast and i intend to practice on the east coast...so i am not sure of its reputation on this coast also as far as the NERB exam preparations go im a little worried ...but i cant complain or ask for any better surprise :)
congrats on your acceptances
Since you want to practice in the east coast and all..stay east.You maybe able to develop contacts for future.
in either case good luck. :)

alabama79 said:

Hi Congarts,
2 yrs versus 3yrs, bet u can make some money in the extra yr instead of studying so u can pay off some loan of the big debt we incur, plus UOP has a better name then NYU.

Congrats again.

alabama79 said:
Congratulations on both acceptances. Well done.
In breif, I would say go to Pacific. I will be attending Pacific too, but that is not why I am saying this.

Pacific has a much stronger clinical orientation integrated to a strenuous 24 month accelerated program.

I wouldn't look at it as saving 10,000 dollars per se. If you are "shopping" for schools, then I think you you might be better off waiting for another year and try and get into a state school, which may be much cheaper.
I think you would benefit much from the year that you will save in a 2 yr program. Not just by graduating early, but by gaining one year of potential income too.

In conclusion, the Pacific will offer you strong clinical training (no need for a GPR or AEGD following graduation), student oriented staff and faculty, state of the art facilities. Plus you will graduate earlier and make some money and payback some of your loans in the mean time.
There is also a significant difference in the FTD class sizes between both scools where the IDS class at the Pacific is composed of 21 students while I think NYU's AP class is in the 120's.

Licensing exams are not a problem at all now. Worry first about getting a sound education whenever you have the opportunity.

Please do not take my word for any of this. I am just trying to help you out since you have such short notice.
Try reading some more NYU and PACIFIC posts here on SDN. There are plenty of great inputs from members of both schools.

Good Luck.
You're in good hands either way.

Go for UoP or Pacific as it is known now (although I am going to NYU).

Because, all above plus points (2 years + $10,000 less + better school (?) etc) &,

If you want to come back to East Coast, then the easiest route is to do a GPR/ AEGD somewhere in East Coast and prepare for NERB while doing GPR. So you earn during third year (the year you would have paid to attend NYU) and organize yourself (patients, assistant, instruments, practicing for nerb exam etc). My 2 cents..............

rahmed

thank you very much ....D(M)ental,mitch74,Nilebds, rahmed.....you guys's input is really appreciated as it helps reinforcing my decision
take care :)

i agree with rahmed too...though i'm attending nyucd myself..!if u r gonna save time..why not??i would say time is money...and moreover u can earn a years' experience with 1 year of solid income!!!!the 10,000 bucks wont make much of a difference...i think so.... both schools are good ..though a few people have tried to put uop ahead of nyu....i really dont know how?? and maybe uop can be a better bet.... as i really dont know the difference as i'm yet to start school..
well all the best with whatever u decide..... all the best for ur future endeavours!

alabama79 said:

Congratulations, not too many people get a choice between two or more schools, if I'm in your shoes, I'd go for a 2-y program, regardless of the school's name, believe it or not, you will have the same degree, more or less same training, and patients almost NEVER ask about these specifics, as long as you are a graduate of a North American dental school with a license and a smile :D , provided that you don't screw up while treating them :rolleyes:

Good luck in your decision, hope to see you in San Francisco ;)

I think everybody is forgetting to ask what is the status of alabama H-1, h-4, resident ....you need to make contacts to be able to get someone to do the paperwork for you and integrate in the dental field . Remember you just have 1 year to stay here after f-1. I dont know if she already has someone to do it but at least if somenone doesnt know anybody around. If you have already someone to do this paperwork for you and get a job for you things are different. Then if you start your paperwork in the west coast you can not move to the east coast, leave the job till you get your residence. As I said each person has a different reality . One thing doesnt apply to everybody.
Also you need to thing if you watn to start right away your practice or work for someone first. Just a different point of view . The most different opinions you hear the better you can decide :p

Hi,
What did u decide ,r u joining UOP.

alabama79 said:

hi friends ...i have decided to go for pacific university ...however i am a little worried about the issue of nerb exam that pacific university does not offer ....so i will be doing a little research on that ....i am on an h4 visa currently ....i do have someone who wants to sponsor my h1 visaand paper work so i could go into private practice right away but it will have to be in michigan ...so i will need to give my NERB exam for that .....is there any one who has been in a similar situation ....how will i give my nerb on my own ...what about finding exam patients ect......i am aware of the ADLEX that is in the making but if that does not go through then what options do i have ...another good option that a SDN friend...RAHMED?? gave was to do an AEGD program in an east coast university and give my nerb at that time ...so i have two options ....nerb during DDS ..and work after i graduate in private practice ...OR do an AEGD program 1 yr in east coast uni and give NERBafter DDS at pacific....?????? what suggestion do u guys at SDN have for me ......help please :)

alabama79 said:

Hey Alabama. Congratulations for your success. You deserve it!!!

Would you mind to tell us what are your scores?
NBDEI/II and toefl?

Thanks in advance.

Go for UOP for the simple reason that it's a 2 YR PROGRAM!!! :eek:

Trust me, going back to school for 3 yrs is NOT fun!!!!!!!

dentaldoc said:
Go for UOP for the simple reason that it's a 2 YR PROGRAM!!! :eek:

Trust me, going back to school for 3 yrs is NOT fun!!!!!!!
Are you UCLA student? If so, can you please share me your personal interview experience? Or any suggestion about dexterity test?
Thanks