Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

kinesiology courses as BCPM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fakesmile, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

In the AMCAS Instruction Book, Kinesiology courses are classified as Health Sciences (HEAL). But some kin courses at my school have titles "Histology" or "Human physiology". In the AMCAS book, these fall under Bio.
    How are such kin courses treated?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    courses like human anatomy, human physiology, biochemistry of exercise, biomechanics, etc will be counted towards your BCPM (they were for me). They will be classified as biology (biochemistry was actually put under chemistry). The other kines courses will not count towards your BCPM, unless you apply DO in which case all of your kines courses will count towards your science gpa.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

Do you have a proof that AMCAS really counts such courses as BCPM or is that merely what you think?
    Will courses like KIN-230: Human physiology really be counted toward BCPM, even if the course designation does not fall under BCPM but only the course title does?

4. RUc10

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That just made my day.

5. RySerr21

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes i have proof. I'm a kinesiology major. I applied this year. All my kines courses have "KINE 307" or KINES 300" or whatever it may be. I looked at how AMCAS classified my courses and was prepared to argue my case if they tried to screw me over. I didn't have to b/c they classified my courses the way that I described to you.

EDIT: They did not classify biomechanics towards my BCPM. I would have argued for it, but it didnt matter cuz i'm not taking it til next semester so its not going to be included in the GPA that the schools see.

#5 RySerr21, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  6. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

Oh I see... Thanks for your reply.:)

7. RySerr21

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Just in case you still dont believe me (hey, we are on an anonymous forum. I might just be playin with your head). Here is a screen shot of my amcas. You can see in the middle the anatomy and physiology courses that are listed are labeled as "KINES" but categorized under "BIOL"

[​IMG]

8. the prodogy

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would think Biomechanics would fall under Physics, atleast that's what I'm going to put and I'm willing to argue it out.

On a side note, I was wondering if Health Statistics, a HSC class, could fall under BCPM, since it is a mathematics class?

9. nokia stuff

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was wondering if there is a specific place I can see what courses fall under BCPM. I looked on AAMC but couldn't find anything, maybe I just didn't notice