kinesiology courses as BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the AMCAS Instruction Book, Kinesiology courses are classified as Health Sciences (HEAL). But some kin courses at my school have titles "Histology" or "Human physiology". In the AMCAS book, these fall under Bio.
How are such kin courses treated?

Members don't see this ad.

In the AMCAS Instruction Book, Kinesiology courses are classified as Health Sciences (HEAL). But some kin courses at my school have titles "Histology" or "Human physiology". In the AMCAS book, these fall under Bio.
How are such kin courses treated?

courses like human anatomy, human physiology, biochemistry of exercise, biomechanics, etc will be counted towards your BCPM (they were for me). They will be classified as biology (biochemistry was actually put under chemistry). The other kines courses will not count towards your BCPM, unless you apply DO in which case all of your kines courses will count towards your science gpa.

courses like human anatomy, human physiology, biochemistry of exercise, biomechanics, etc will be counted towards your BCPM (they were for me). They will be classified as biology (biochemistry was actually put under chemistry). The other kines courses will not count towards your BCPM, unless you apply DO in which case all of your kines courses will count towards your science gpa.

Do you have a proof that AMCAS really counts such courses as BCPM or is that merely what you think?
Will courses like KIN-230: Human physiology really be counted toward BCPM, even if the course designation does not fall under BCPM but only the course title does?

Members don't see this ad :)

That just made my day.

Do you have a proof that AMCAS really counts such courses as BCPM or is that merely what you think?
Will courses like KIN-230: Human physiology really be counted toward BCPM, even if the course designation does not fall under BCPM but only the course title does?

Yes i have proof. I'm a kinesiology major. I applied this year. All my kines courses have "KINE 307" or KINES 300" or whatever it may be. I looked at how AMCAS classified my courses and was prepared to argue my case if they tried to screw me over. I didn't have to b/c they classified my courses the way that I described to you.

EDIT: They did not classify biomechanics towards my BCPM. I would have argued for it, but it didnt matter cuz i'm not taking it til next semester so its not going to be included in the GPA that the schools see.

Last edited:
Yes i have proof. I'm a kinesiology major. I applied this year. All my kines courses have "KINE 307" or KINES 300" or whatever it may be. I looked at how AMCAS classified my courses and was prepared to argue my case if they tried to screw me over. I didn't have to b/c they classified my courses the way that I described to you.

Oh I see... Thanks for your reply.:)

Just in case you still dont believe me (hey, we are on an anonymous forum. I might just be playin with your head). Here is a screen shot of my amcas. You can see in the middle the anatomy and physiology courses that are listed are labeled as "KINES" but categorized under "BIOL"

AMCAS-1-1.gif

I would think Biomechanics would fall under Physics, atleast that's what I'm going to put and I'm willing to argue it out.

On a side note, I was wondering if Health Statistics, a HSC class, could fall under BCPM, since it is a mathematics class?

I was wondering if there is a specific place I can see what courses fall under BCPM. I looked on AAMC but couldn't find anything, maybe I just didn't notice