Kirksville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the city of Kirksville in general. I understand the school has a long, storied tradition in osteopathy and maintains an outstanding reputation in the medical community. That's one of the reasons why I'm interested in the school. But, what is the city of Kirksville like in your opinion? Are there fun things to do when you have some down time? Where are favorite "hang-out" places? Could you please give me your overall assessment of the city?

Thanks

Atlas

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Thanks to Wasabi, I had a tad taste of what it's like in Kirksville.... One of the doctors I shadowed is an alumnus of KCOM.... He's overall impression was and I quote "There's completely nothing in Kirksville."

Hey, that's just one person's POV. I'm not sure how to take the student website thing.... Nothing seems to be serious.... I guess they have lots of fun in kirksville then....

Thanks for sharing the site Wasabi.... Atlas, did you get a chance to visit it yet?

I just quickly glance at the site so I'm not an expert.... Happy surfin'

Bumpin' this up for those who can respond to Atlas' questions personally..... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Popoy,

You're one cool brother! :) I haven't checked out those sites yet. I've been busy with friends I haven't seen for quite some time. I'll get around to it though. It sounds to me as if there isn't much to do there. I'm just curious about the town. I know I won't have a great deal of free time to "chill", so being in an exciting place is not a major deal to me. Anyone else have some info? Thanks again Popoy.

What can I say about Kirksville, well we don't have a mall or anything like that but Kirksville does have a brand new 8 screen movie theater, a bowling alley/skating rink/bar type thing, many other bars, Walmart, Staples and radio shack. What more could you want. A lot of the activities that KCOM students do involve intramurals, clubs (there are around 20 that have regular activities), student goverment puts on formals and other activities. Kirksville also has thousand hills state park and other outdoor areas that are good for biking, hiking, boating, fishing and picnicing. There is also always Truman State University that has concerts, plays etc to attend.

While I do occasionally miss the variety of stores available from a larger city I have never had time to get bored in Kirksville, between academics and extracurriculars life is pretty busy.

As for the websites listed above they are both run completely by students so a lot of what you get is for entertainment.

If you come to Kirksville expecting to find a mini-metro area...you will be sadly disappointed! There are only 1 or 2 restaurants worth going to and 1 (brand-new) 8-screen cinema...the locals' cultural epi-center is the Wal-Mart Supercenter. it is NOT any sort of an entertainment or cultural mecca!

Kirksville does offer you the luxury of unbelievably cheap living (some rather questionable rental property), a very small-town "Mayberry-like" feel -- NO TRAFFIC -- and the luxury of knowing thatif you leave your windows rolled down or the house unlocked...that all of you stuff will be there when you return!

Life here will be what you make of it! You will find that virtually 100% of your circle of friends will come from your classmates. The weather is awesome, except winter, such that you can hang out at Bogey's on their deck and drink adult beverages after class or a long anatomy session -- the rest/bar is on the walking path b/t the main campus and the anatomy/micro/histo labs. Also, "downtown" K'ville is less that 300 yards from the anatomy building...with a couple of other cool watering holes.

I will admit, being from Dallas, much of the adaptation to the rural/agrarian, small-town thing has been challenging, if not unpleasant! However, if I look at it in earnest...it's a pretty decent place. But what makes it cool is not the town itself, it will be your classmates.

:cool:

Thank you so much for your input Carrie and Dave. I really enjoyed reading them. Yuo gave me a good insight into what it's like in K'ville. I'm from a town of 20,000 people in Southern Illinois, but I'm about 10 minutes from St. Louis. Walmart is indeed a main attraction in my town too, so that's a good sign. If I did go to KCOM, I would have little adjusting to do. Thanks again for your help!

I'm not sure whether or not some of you folks have notice this but there are some that are a bit offended by the pics on the KCOM student site.... I think it's in the Everyone forum.... Just wanted to give a heads up....

Popoy,
The post you refered to on the everyone thread was answered later in the same thread by the author of the site. I am not sure if people understand but as I mentioned before both of the sites listed are completly run by students and are not even located on the school's server.
The website mentioned above (kcomstudents.org) is paid for and run by one student. This is a site where students can stay in contact with each other after spreading out into different areas of the country and was very helpful to myself and some of my classmates the summer before we got accepted. I do not recal the pictures mentioned that bothered some people so I am not commenting on those only on the site in general.