Kiss of Death??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AverageMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering about the importance of Organic Chemistry in the application process. I've heard/been told that anything under an A in either OChem 1 or 2 will screw you. This is bad news for me, as I got B's in both (lab is included in the course grade). I've also heard that biochemistry will help offset poor performances in OChem, but I won't get my grade in that until after the fall semester. So, are B's the kiss of death, or the kiss of ....wounding? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely NOT the kiss of death. People routinely get into med school with a less than perfect GPA. You have to balance out your application with other things, though if your GPA isn;t the strongest. I have interviewed for my med school so I can back this up. Though this forum can be helpful, I urge everyone interested in medicine to find multiple reliable sources for info, preferably actual people. Bite the bullet! I'm also shy with authority, but good advising is priceless. EVERYONE should know that a B in ochem WON'T slam the door shut on you.

Try to look at your application as a med school would:
Can this person handle the academics?
Are they mature and informed about the world?
Do they know what medicine is about? is this an informed choice?
What do they offer my school and how might they add to the incoming class?

Often, the best clinicians are not the best physicists or chemists and people who squeak by in their preclinical years in med school go on to be the best docs.

no, you're cool as long as you have a good amount of A's to bring up your science GPA.
I got an A, B+, & B in OCHEM 1,2,&3, we're on the quarter system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should probably mention that I got into med school with those grades.

I knew a guy who failed O Chem three times. He's now in med school.

I got a C in my organic Chem I class as an undergrad. I went back (6 years later) and retook it as a post-bac and received an A. THey average those, so I ended up with a B for the class.

I also received a B in O-Chem II (took at the same time as O-Chem I as a post-bac). I also made A's in both labs.

B's won't kill you as long as you have enough A's to compensate.

ochem 1: B
ochem 2: B
biochem 1: B

I was accepted.

Originally posted by AverageMan
Hey all. I was wondering about the importance of Organic Chemistry in the application process. I've heard/been told that anything under an A in either OChem 1 or 2 will screw you. This is bad news for me, as I got B's in both (lab is included in the course grade). I've also heard that biochemistry will help offset poor performances in OChem, but I won't get my grade in that until after the fall semester. So, are B's the kiss of death, or the kiss of ....wounding? :)

i got B's in orgo, and i'm in med school.

B's are fine. During my interviews, no one questioned a B. It's C's that are problems. But, even in organic chemistry, my interviewers didn't mind the lousy grade I got in both courses. I didn't interview at Yale or Harvard or anything . . . but that's my experience. If you're talking about your chances of getting accepted to any old medical school, then you're fine with a B.

B's in both Organic I and II, and I got into a top 20 school. Just follow the advice of what people above said and it shouldn't be a problem.

C+ in first quarter o-chem, A- in the next two quarters (and B- in g-chem). Didn't seem to hurt me at all since I got in to several schools, including some top 10's. I think Adcoms understand that your freshman year can be an adjustment period-- just don't make C's a habit.

I managed to get into a couple of med schools with C's in Organic I&II. However, I did receive an A in both accompanying labs, and the rest of my science grades were mostly A's with a few B's. Also, I aced Biochemistry I&II lecture and lab. The topic never came up in my interviews. Personally, I don't think that the B will hurt you. Still, do well in Biochemistry and the MCAT, and have a strong application, and you will be fine.

Originally posted by Allygator89
B's won't kill you

yeah, tell that to someone who is highly allergic

Silver_eyes failed ochem twice and she's... uhhh maybe that's not a great example.

HAHAHA!! I was waiting for someone to bring up Silver_eyes!!
:laugh: :laugh:

ochem1: BC
ochem2: B
ochem lab: B
biochem: AB

I was accepted to more than one med school with those grades...