1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Kisses of Death, and Holds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Shpamme, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Shpamme

Shpamme status pages confuse me.
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If a school (Drexel) says after contacting them that "your application is complete and under review" -- is that basically saying you're going to be rejected ultimately? They've been saying this to me since I submitted my seocndary in August. Is this type of answer what the purgatory-esque "hold" in many threads are referring to?

2. chevaliermalfet

chevaliermalfet Don't stop belivin'!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To me, that just sounds like the standard answer they give you when you are complete. If you were actually on "hold," I think they would tell you as much. On the other hand, I suspect some schools don't have a "hold" category for ppl, and simply continue to cycle them through until they decide to keep or reject them. So yeah, that's my two cents. Hope that helps you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Quix

Quix Herr Professor
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    I'm in the same boat - I've heard nothing back from Temple, Jefferson, or Drexel. I'm treating them as de facto rejections, but I could be entirely mistaken.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Speaking of Temple, does anyone get those annoying Temple School of Podiatry emails? Id come home and check my email and see Temple in the sender, and then open it, and its about Podiatry. Teases :)

5. Quix

Quix Herr Professor
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Academic Administration
    It's almost like there was a thread about that very thing!

;)

6. OP
    OP
    Shpamme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thank you. That actually helps a lot. Can you explain though what exactly a "hold" category is? I'll also search for other threads on it..
    E.g. if I had to rank what the best position to be in is, would it be:
    Sucky <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Great
    rejected < "your application is complete and under review" purgatory < hold for interview < interview < waitlist < accepted?

7. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah but just when you think you have it figured out, some schools throw in a post interview "deferred decision" category, which I guess is better than a waitlist. Some schools even have 2 types of waitlist, an "alternate list" (real wait-list as we know it), and "wait-list: (black hole of death). They're always trying to keep us on our toes.

8. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is all very school specific. I have heard different people that were "under review" at Drexel get pretty much every outcome eventually. If you have been complete since August though, that is kind of a long time. You are at least not rejected yet though, which is definitely a good thing.

Schools like Temple usually don't send out rejections untils pring, and others like Jefferson sometimes forget to send one out at all ... ever. So for them I am taking their continuing silence as a rejection. (I too was complete in August).

9. TCIrish03

TCIrish03 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Isn't it about time now to treat every non-invite as a de facto rejection?

What boggles my mind is that this year, with a statistically stronger application, I have gotten no invites, yet last year with a pretty weak application, I got invites.

10. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what I'm doing - goodbye UCSD, Davis, and UNC...

11. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe both Temple and Jefferson are still sending out interview invites. I'm not sure about Temple, but the guy at Jefferson said they were interviewing until April...that puts some light in the purgatory, though that's not always a good thing.

12. OP
    OP
    Shpamme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    See--my hypothesis is that when a school says "we're interviewing until April," they're referring to the actual dates of interview days extending into April, NOT to the days they send interview invites out.

In other words, Temple may well have organized interview days until April, but they may only be giving invitations out until say, March 1. That would make sense because don't most schools give like at least 2-3 weeks for students to make travel arrangements?

Le sigh.

13. OP
    OP
    Shpamme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Haemulon, that's reassuring (sorta =). I think I'm still going to mark it off on my spreadsheet as a rejection. If you happen to know of someone who was "complete and under review" and then got an interview, do you think you could let me know their screenname so I can PM them and see if they did anything special to prompt an interview? I've already sent a LOinterest. I'll also do a search now, but if you know someone off the top of your head I'd be thrilled.

14. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't think of a name off hand, but I will look through my PM's later to see. Good luck to you! I know how rough it is to be kept hanging.

15. OP
    OP
    Shpamme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks Haemulon!! You always come through =)
    I am SO excited for you again!!