Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

kissing medicine goodbye?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by curious dummy, Aug 5, 2002.

1. curious dummy

curious dummy Junior Member

i just got out of high school, took calculus one during the summer, and bombed it with a D :( does this mean i can kiss medicine goodbye? :confused: what if i do better in higher level math classes later? do med school just look at calc 1 grades ONLY, since it's the only math they REQUIRE? :confused: if they do, then that would suck big time for me. thank you for reading :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician

Attending Physician
    No, that doesn't eliminate you from anything. If you got a D in calculus, I would say that your first step should be trying to determine why you got that grade. Did you slack off? Did you miss a test? Are your study habbits not quite there? Are you "bad in math" (I say this in quotes because I really think that this is a state of mind and not a state of being)? Once you determine that, figure out what you can do to change that. It really isn't going to help you to rush into another calculus class if you are going to do similarly...and if nothings changes then you probably will do similarly. Now...to answer questions about your chances at med school...

1) Calc isn't required at all schools, but this math grade will factor into your science gpa.
    2) You need strong math skills (though algebra and not calc) to get through chem and physics.
    3) Taking higher level math courses AND DOING WELL will make med schools not look so down on one bad grade.
    4) Don't do it again. If you start off with a low GPA your freshman year, then it will be difficult to bring it up to the required point later. (3.4-3.6 is a good number to aim for if you want to be avg.)

Hope that helps. If you are willing to give up at one set back, question your motivation. There are going to be 1001 setbacks along the way. If this is still what you want, go for it. Best of luck.

~AS1~

4. umm if I remember this correctly, I can only speak behalf of UCLA, if y ou get any grade lower than a C-, then you can retake the class, and get the new grade! of course the old grade still is in place, but you get a new GPA....

so my advice would be to talk to the department, and definitely definitely retake the class! :)

5. exigente chica

Calm down, it's ok..we all get bad grades sometimes:cool: Relaz. You can eithet take the class over if you think you can do better or you can forget about it. It's up to you. Just try to make sure you do well in your other classes to bring up that science gpa.

I wouldn't not worry about giving up med school, if it's what you trully want never give up!!! It's really early in the game for u, u have 4 whole years. Take it one semester at a time..

Good luck and have fun freshman year:clap:

6. agent

agent agent, RN

yeah calc isnt required at a lot of schools.. you probably would have been better off taking statistics if you're not that strong in math.

and everything everyone else said is true. id calm down relax and focus on next semester. you're not even in college yet. you've got a long way to go.