Know anyone thats matriculated with a DUI in their past

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

ryno20

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I made a mistake, well it was more than a mistake. It was the decision I made to drive home after drinking at a friends birthday party last weekend, and was arrested for DUI.

I've been taking additional upper division science courses and retaking other courses that I did poorly in for the past three quarters and have been blowing them out of the water raising my GPA to a 3.2. I've also have a year of undergrad research with an honors thesis in a life science lab and over 100 hours of volunteer service at a free health clinic.

I was not planning on applying through aacomas until June 2009, so I still have another year of undergrad courses and E.C. enhancement to go. My question is has this night of terrible judgement destroyed my dream of becoming an osteopathic physician?

I know that no one may have a definite answer to this question, but has anyone heard of applicants gaining admission after disclosing this on their application? Anyone with any insight on this issue please shed some light

MikeMD

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've read a post on here a few months ago about this same question. Cliff Notes: guy got in fine and was never even questioned. I'm not sure how strong his application was and if this affected him at all, but hopefully the adcoms will understand that this was a stupid mistake that will NEVER happen again. Just be honest about it. Might try doing a search for more info.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You screwed up, I'm sure you know that, but what's important now is how you respond to it. Time is your friend, as it shows this was a one-time isolated mistake, not a pattern. Doing any kind of classes, AA, etc. can only help.

This isn't going to help your app, but it's definitely not a death sentence either.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=490308

About the Ads

JMarie

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
New Haven, CT
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I made a mistake, well it was more than a mistake. It was the decision I made to drive home after drinking at a friends birthday party last weekend, and was arrested for DUI.

I've been taking additional upper division science courses and retaking other courses that I did poorly in for the past three quarters and have been blowing them out of the water raising my GPA to a 3.2. I've also have a year of undergrad research with an honors thesis in a life science lab and over 100 hours of volunteer service at a free health clinic.

I was not planning on applying through aacomas until June 2009, so I still have another year of undergrad courses and E.C. enhancement to go. My question is has this night of terrible judgement destroyed my dream of becoming an osteopathic physician?

I know that no one may have a definite answer to this question, but has anyone heard of applicants gaining admission after disclosing this on their application? Anyone with any insight on this issue please shed some light

Use the experience to your advantage especially when writing your PS. You may have a great opportunity to turn a horrible experience into a lesson you can grow from.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Assuming you're getting a lawyer, what you should be going for is any option that keeps you from a felony conviction. Every state is different in how they handle this, but be prepared to fall on your sword to keep your record clean: you'll get assessed for alcoholism, and you could end up in 28 days of outpatient treatment with 2 years of required followup.

Which would be a pretty good deal if you can get it. Aside from the sense that you'd "paid your debt" you'd get a decent education in addiction treatment. Which just makes you a better doctor.

Best of luck to you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Use the experience to your advantage especially when writing your PS. You may have a great opportunity to turn a horrible experience into a lesson you can grow from.

Do NOT put it in your PS.

TheMantaRay

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I think it's perhaps worse than you think. I've worked a lot with DUI offenders over the past few years. Not to give you a lecture, but I don't think it's something that is often overlooked these days.

Most people tend not to think that a DUI is an isolated mistake anymore, so explaining it away as something that you don't do on a regular basis won't work. Research shows that DUI offenders have often been driving whilst intoxicated for years and years. It's one of those things that people do until they get caught. It's not something that happens only once. A DUI conviction, to many people, shows the culmination of many years of flaunting the law and putting the safety of others at risk.

That said, get yourself a good lawyer. You'll pay dearly for it (many thousands, if not well over ten grand), but it is the only thing that gives you a hope of getting off. And chances are, you won't get off. Getting a lawyer isn't a magic miracle bullet that makes charges disappear.

And if for some reason you get off, don't disclose it unless the question is "have you ever been arrested or convicted of a DUI". A question like "have you ever been convicted of a DUI" is one you would answer NO.

Sorry dude. DUIs aren't small stuff anymore, and I would bet serious money on it hurting you application. I imagine that for every one DUI convict who gets in, there's 100 who are rejected. The admissions people at your school have probably seen first hand the effects of DUI accidents, and they aren't likely to be a sympathetic audience. Especially when they can pick from 1000 applicants with the same stats as you who don't have a DUI.

Never write a personal statement about a DUI and what you learned from it. You might as well write a personal statement about how you were convicted of child rape and what you learned from it. Unless your arm is twisted, the DUI stays quiet. Tell nobody.

What you might want to do is call a school or two that you're not applying to, and anonymously ask what the consequences are.

Tough situation. But bound to happen sooner or later.

ryno20

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you everyone for your responses. Its great to know I still have hope. I can promise this will never happen again, nor should it have happened once. Good luck to all of you and thanks again!

White Rabbit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How might this impact the OP when it comes to actual licensing after the medical school investment?

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
How might this impact the OP when it comes to actual licensing after the medical school investment?

If it goes to a felony conviction, it's an issue, otherwise it's considered a youthful indiscretion.

Physicians in practice get multiple DUIs without losing their licenses; they are required to attend classes and pee in jars and go to group and see counselors etc. You can get yourself fired without losing your license.

And of course this is where I usually mention that you can get elected president with one DUI, and vice president with two DUIs.

ryno20

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will be a misdemeanor here in CA. Considering I'm 24, any idea on how long before admissions committees view it as a "youthful indiscretion"?

White Rabbit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
24 is youthful.

And at the same time, one held accountable as an adult.

I had a friend who went through the same thing and I testified on his behalf. Long story short, his lawyer was able to get a favorable ruling and the charges subsequently expunged permanently from his record.

Bond8204

Anatomy Lab Crasher
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As long as it's a totally isolated incident and your record is completely clean otherwise, you can still gain admission to med school and gain licensing as a doctor. You'll be asked to disclose misdemeanors on your AACOMAS (and when you're licensed I believe...and when you do a criminal background check for a school or if you're rotating in a hospital). That's why, as somebody said, hiring a lawyer and paying them thousands of dollars to get the charges dropped period is the best possible outcome of this.

Otherwise, as was said before, hardcore get into counseling etc. I'm refraining from judging at all here--because I don't know about your situation and I think the most ridiculous thing people can do is sit back here and be computer-chair-alcohol-counselors. Whether you have a problem or not, going into education and counseling shows maturity and attacking the issue head-on.

I agree I wouldn't talk about it at all in the personal statement, but I'd write a very good explanation on the primary application.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.