Know anyone who failed anatomy the first semester?

A

AnkleGuy

Did they wait to retake it next year or did they drop out? I wonder what students usually do...

trs88

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
TN or Texas
Status
Medical Student
I imagine it's school based and then case by case. I know at my school if that's the only course you failed, you have to wait to take it over the summer because you have to travel to another state that has an available cadaver lab. Then if you failed 3 or more classes in that semester the school board will review your file to determine if you will retake the year or if they will dismiss you.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
Did they wait to retake it next year or did they drop out? I wonder what students usually do...
a lot of people have a summer break between MS1 and MS2, so often it is taken during that time

every school has their own policy on retakes

most schools are not set up to have remediation take place at the institution

there is a small list of schools that offer summer remedial gross anatomy, complete with cadaver

I know someone who did this at Georgetown, which had a great program

Reactions: Goro and trs88
About the Ads
OP
A

AnkleGuy

I imagine it's school based and then case by case. I know at my school if that's the only course you failed, you have to wait to take it over the summer because you have to travel to another state that has an available cadaver lab. Then if you failed 3 or more classes in that semester the school board will review your file to determine if you will retake the year or if they will dismiss you.
Yeah that probably makes sense

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
At my school (and most schools that I know of) if you fail a block you remediate it over the summer. You certainly don't drop out!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Policies will be school specific, and written in the Student Handbook or Manual.

Options include remediation at the beginning or end of the Spring semester, being forced to repeat a year and yes, even dismissal. I believe that the latter occurs when the student has failed other classes, or might be at the bottom of the class.

EDIT: kudos to the above posters...remdiation can also occur at end of Summer I. I am reminded that in the IU system, sites would rotate remediation subjects.

About the Ads