Know Anything About Loan Forgiveness Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyborgNinjaMD

Should Be Doing Homework
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Staring down the long barrel of four years worth of large loans, I was wondering if anybody knew about loan forgiveness programs. Specifically, has anybody heard of a program that forgives loans for international work?

Members don't see this ad.

Try this and this

There are definitely programs that forgive loans if you practice in an underserved area for X number of years. I'm not sure about international... you'd probably have to go through a private program for that.

:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can negotiate this into a contract to go to places that are short on doctors. This is through private companies and generally require a 3 year commitment but at a good salary on top of everything.

CyborgNinjaMD said:
Hi all,

Staring down the long barrel of four years worth of large loans, I was wondering if anybody knew about loan forgiveness programs. Specifically, has anybody heard of a program that forgives loans for international work?

so a few ways of doing this.
1. go into family/non-competitive field in seroious need of docs that will offer some help with loan repayment. tends to be mostly in less than popular family medicine programs, but there are exceptions.
2. join one of the government programs- military/indian health. not 100% sure how this works.
3. perkins loans can be forgiven under certain circumstances. i don't believe any of them are things you would want to pursue.

CyborgNinjaMD said:
Hi all,

Everyone I know gets out of debt by filing for bankruptcy >). Does anyone know if you can add school loans to a bankruptcy claim?

kypdurron5 said:
Everyone I know gets out of debt by filing for bankruptcy >). Does anyone know if you can add school loans to a bankruptcy claim?

That's an easy way to show up on the local news...

rcd said:
That's an easy way to show up on the local news...
As much as I hate local news, at least our local news has better things to report than that ;).

rcd, props on that OOS quote of yours at the bottom haha :thumbup:

id be interested into looking into these loans, does one usually inquire about them when beginnin med skool or in the middle or while in the process of applying or after matchin or when?

kypdurron5 said:
Everyone I know gets out of debt by filing for bankruptcy >).
Hang out with better people.

kypdurron5 said:
Does anyone know if you can add school loans to a bankruptcy claim?
No, you can't. Two things you can not shake by a bankruptcy are student loans and child support. So I wouldn't hold my breath on dodging the second one either.