1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

knowing about peopole who is in the dental committee is helpful?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by lazyyangyang, Apr 24, 2007.

1. lazyyangyang

lazyyangyang Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey, guys, i don't have any research experience, but i do have some volunteering experience and one-year teacher assistant of chemistry and other activities, do u have people who don't have any rsearch experience will have some disadvantage comparing to people who have? also, i hear my friend said that, he know a student who already in dental school, his friends tells him that he can introduce some people who work in the dental school committee(committee that decide who can get into dental school and who can't) to him,and as long as they know him quite well, this will help you or you much more advantages than other people to get in that school. what do u think about that?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Knowing people on an admissions committee can be helpful, but it varies greatly. If you don't personally know the admissions people very well, if you are just like a friend of a friend, or the friend of a student who introduced you, then it might not really be that helpful. If you went to school with the son of an admissions committee person and used to hang out every summer day with that family, maybe it will be more impressive.

It doesn't matter though...you cannot affect whether other people have these advantages or not by talking about them or ranting (I'm not saying you are ranting...but lots of people rant about it) and raving about the unfair advantage this provides and the detriment to the purity of the field..etc. etc. You just do the best you can with yourself and you can do no more. I didn't know anyone on my admissions committees to the schools I got into or the schools that rejected me...but I still got into 3 of my top 4 schools.

Finally, knowing someone isn't always and advantage. For example...maybe your friend gets introduced by his dental student friend but makes a BAD impression on the ADCOM. Just because you meet the person doesn't necessarily mean they will like you or find anything remarkable about you...they might just meet you and go "well, he's pretty average." or "Jesus, what a suck up." In those cases...not knowing the ADCOM is better.