Knowing Committee Members?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipmed

ipmed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I know an adcom member (student reviewer), will he/she be able to push my app to the front or review it themselves if I submit late ( near the deadline) can an adcom member pick a file and review it or give it to the committee for voting or is are there really strict rules about order.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school; some schools allow students to have more of a say than others. Just submit your application early instead of hoping that your friend can do something for you if it's late.

Don't rely on anyone, stakes are too high. There are only a few things you have full control over in the process, one is when you submit your application. I would suggest submitting it ASAP.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
If I know an adcom member (student reviewer), will he/she be able to push my app to the front or review it themselves if I submit late ( near the deadline) can an adcom member pick a file and review it or give it to the committee for voting or is are there really strict rules about order.

It would be unethical for someone who knows you to sit on the committee for your decision. Of course the student can just lie/pretend they don't know you, but 1) that's not a very honorable way of getting into med school, and 2) that is definitely not something to bank on.

I don't know all the rules yet, as I am not starting on the committee until August, but since we are not allowed to interview applicants we know (on our honor), I guarantee that we will have to sit out the admissions decision of someone we know.

Yep.

At most places If you're an adcom member who personally knows the applicant you're expected to handoff their application to another committee member and excuse yourself from voting.

It would be unethical for someone who knows you to sit on the committee for your decision. Of course the student can just lie/pretend they don't know you, but 1) that's not a very honorable way of getting into med school, and 2) that is definitely not something to bank on.

I don't know all the rules yet, as I am not starting on the committee until August, but since we are not allowed to interview applicants we know (on our honor), I guarantee that we will have to sit out the admissions decision of someone we know.

Yea agreed. Two of the members of the admissions committee at the school I am attending were doctors I worked/volunteered for and they both wrote me LORs. They both told me that they would be sitting out during the deliberations over my file which I think is a pretty general practice to keep any ethical problems from arising.

That wouldn't fly.

People don't talk about it but I'm sure it happens. That others get extra consideration because they know someone. I'm sure it happens all the time. I'm sure the applicant still has to be somewhat decent though. Even if the applicant has anyone on the adcom write them a LOR it will be regarded higher than other LORs. Even if that person doesn't sit on the decision, I'm sure most adcoms would recognize another adcoms members name on a LOR and I think most adcoms would still be biased and give the applicant the edge.

It's taboo, but no one I know who's had parents associated with a med school has not gotten in. One had a parent who was chief of one of the departments and the other simply had a parent physician who worked for the school. All of the chiefs parents got into this med school with ease even though they didn't seem that smart. And the girl with the parent physician she got in too even though her credentials were acceptable but not amazing.

It happens everywhere and it's never going to change. Not so long as we have kids applying to grad school with alumni parents, prestige, and wealth up the yang.

Last edited:
People don't talk about it but I'm sure it happens. That others get extra consideration because they know someone. I'm sure it happens all the time. I'm sure the applicant still has to be somewhat decent though. Even if the applicant has anyone on the adcom write them a LOR it will be regarded higher than other LORs. Even if that person doesn't sit on the decision, I'm sure most adcoms would recognize another adcoms members name on a LOR and I think most adcoms would still be biased and give the applicant the edge.

It's taboo, but no one I know who's had parents associated with a med school has not gotten in. One had a parent who was chief of one of the departments and the other simply had a parent physician who worked for the school. All of the chiefs parents got into this med school with ease even though they didn't seem that smart. And the girl with the parent physician she got in too even though her credentials were acceptable but not amazing.

It happens everywhere and it's never going to change. Not so long as we have kids applying to grad school with alumni parents, prestige, and wealth up the yang.
We call this "affirmative action of the usual kind."

Sucks when you are just the average joe though. No aff action or well off parents. Welcome to my boat.