knowing other people applying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i only know one other person who's applying to schools. we applied to basically all the same schools and turned our apps in pretty much at the exact same time. i've been talking to her sporadically...and she KEEPS getting interviews. she just got her FIFTH today. i just really can't take it any more. i have no jealousy and am happy for her (she is a reapplicant and i felt really bad for her last year) but i just went from being in such a great mood to feeling anxious/sad/paranoid etc in the span of like 2 minutes. so i guess you could argue that maybe i'm not really happy for her, but thats really not it. considering we applied at the same time, it would just be nice to have ONE interview. and considering that she got all her stuff in about a week before me i feel like all those potential interview slots are just being given to her and then they get to mine and are like "well, we just gave a berkeley person an interview, lets hold out on mota". it especially sucks cuz she tried to encourage me by saying maybe i should apply to DO schools and schools abroad, but after putting about FIVE months of work in, that's really the last thing I want to hear. i'm rambling. sorry. i need to go to the gym and blow off some steam. either that or crawl into a hole... f*ckin a.
-mota

edit: please don't come at me with "she studied harder, she deserves it", our stats are very similar. i just want other venters.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, there is this girl from my school who has almost the exact same stats as me and she's gotten waaay more interviews than me, at places like harvard and yale, etc. I don't really know a lot about her, but I'd love to know what she put in her personal statement!

im not 100% sure on this, but arent there more males than females that apply every year? and since it usually ends up 50/50, it would seem like girls have a better chance of getting invites..

Members don't see this ad :)
DaMota said:
so i only know one other person who's applying to schools. we applied to basically all the same schools and turned our apps in pretty much at the exact same time. i've been talking to her sporadically...and she KEEPS getting interviews. she just got her FIFTH today. i just really can't take it any more. i have no jealousy and am happy for her (she is a reapplicant and i felt really bad for her last year) but i just went from being in such a great mood to feeling anxious/sad/paranoid etc in the span of like 2 minutes. so i guess you could argue that maybe i'm not really happy for her, but thats really not it. considering we applied at the same time, it would just be nice to have ONE interview. and considering that she got all her stuff in about a week before me i feel like all those potential interview slots are just being given to her and then they get to mine and are like "well, we just gave a berkeley person an interview, lets hold out on mota". it especially sucks cuz she tried to encourage me by saying maybe i should apply to DO schools and schools abroad, but after putting about FIVE months of work in, that's really the last thing I want to hear. i'm rambling. sorry. i need to go to the gym and blow off some steam. either that or crawl into a hole... f*ckin a.
-mota

edit: please don't come at me with "she studied harder, she deserves it", our stats are very similar. i just want other venters.

venter here:

I started venting and then decided it was too long so I just cut out the background venting and got to the meat of it all:

One of my friends here is applying this cycle. We overlap in about half of the schools. I'm a glide-year applicant, and she's applying as a senior at WashU. She knows that I'm a Uchicago alum and that I'm really nervous about not getting in because of my low stats. So she somehow got her apps in a few weeks before me, like in early august. but whatever, I didn't think it mattered, and it's not the point of this story.
In mid september, I get a voicemail from her : "hey ahumdinger, it's <friend>, I was just wondering...if you could call me back...because I was just wondering...if you could tell me how to get to O'hare airport." That was it, no mention of why she was going to O'hare, though I'd be an idiot to not to realize that it about medical school. I'm fuming, but I call her back immediately, and I don't mention anything specific. I mean, I can't just jump to conclusions right? I tell her, "Oh are you trying to get to Uchicago? Why are you flying out of O'hare? It's much cheaper an easier to fly to Midway." She says, "oh, really? I couldn't find any cheap flights to Midway. They were all like 400 or more." At this point, I'm thinking, is she just playing dumb or does she really not know how to use the internet? maybe she's trying to fly to the Midway islands? Everyone in St. Louis and Chicago knows about the commuter flights on Southwest to and fron Chicago. They are usually really cheap and even at the most expensive times, it's no more than $200. I told her to call the Admissions office or look online to find the best way to get to school. So far, this entire conversation, she doesn't say, "oh guess what? I got an interview to Pritzker!" That would have been much nicer than trying to hide it but obviously not. I was SO angry, especially since she knew I was sensitive about possibly not getting into my alma mater. On top of that, she adds, "oh okay, well, how about getting to Northwestern?"

Okay, so you might be thinking, maybe she just didn't realize it and was fishing for a congrats. Well, here's proof that she's trying to rub it in:
about 2 weeks later, my mom comes to visit, and we go out with my friend nd her mom. At dinner, her mom says, "oh, don't forget to ask Linda about going to Chicago." to which I expected her to say, "oh I already did." Nope, instead, she says, "oh yeah, so can you tell me how to get to the uchicago campus? I tried to ask my host, but she gave a really vague description." ARRGHGH!! I don't even want to go on with this venting!! So I tried to be polite and said, jokingly, "didn't you ask me this already?" But i still gave her detailed directions and then told her to call the admissions office or look online.

How's that for a vent? AND....I got rejected pre-interview to Pritzker.

I got an interview at WashU (miraculous) and I was tempted to call her up and ask her how to get to the admissions office (even though I work on the medical campus). But that would be the evil applicant thing to do. And i"m not going to stoop that low.

edit: This is really an isolated occurance. I have plenty of other friends who are also applying. Some of us have lots of interviews, some have none, some just submitted AMCAS, etc. And we are all VERY supportive of each other. Just this one incidence really got under my skin.

jtank said:
im not 100% sure on this, but arent there more males than females that apply every year? and since it usually ends up 50/50, it would seem like girls have a better chance of getting invites..

i dont' have stats, but i think there are actually slightly more female applicants than males.

On a similar note-- i heard from two male urology residency applicants this weekend that women have a much easier time applying to urology residencies than men, particularly if they are easy on the eyes. (they said that the female resident interviewing them said this!!)

ahumdinger said:
i dont' have stats, but i think there are actually slightly more female applicants than males.

On a similar note-- i heard from two male urology residency applicants this weekend that women have a much easier time applying to urology residencies than men, particularly if they are easy on the eyes. (they said that the female resident interviewing them said this!!)
Same with males in OB/GYN.

ahumdinger said:

:)

my dad's a urologist.
-mota

Here's a pro I see in urology:

It's a surgical specialty, yet there's a lot you can do to treat patients medically. Because you do both, you don't end up sending your patients out to other surgeons because you can't treat them with medicine.

So for people who can't decide between surgery and medicine, it's a happy compromise.

ahumdinger said:
venter here:

I started venting and then decided it was too long so I just cut out the background venting and got to the meat of it all:

One of my friends here is applying this cycle. We overlap in about half of the schools. I'm a glide-year applicant, and she's applying as a senior at WashU. She knows that I'm a Uchicago alum and that I'm really nervous about not getting in because of my low stats. So she somehow got her apps in a few weeks before me, like in early august. but whatever, I didn't think it mattered, and it's not the point of this story.
In mid september, I get a voicemail from her : "hey ahumdinger, it's <friend>, I was just wondering...if you could call me back...because I was just wondering...if you could tell me how to get to O'hare airport." That was it, no mention of why she was going to O'hare, though I'd be an idiot to not to realize that it about medical school. I'm fuming, but I call her back immediately, and I don't mention anything specific. I mean, I can't just jump to conclusions right? I tell her, "Oh are you trying to get to Uchicago? Why are you flying out of O'hare? It's much cheaper an easier to fly to Midway." She says, "oh, really? I couldn't find any cheap flights to Midway. They were all like 400 or more." At this point, I'm thinking, is she just playing dumb or does she really not know how to use the internet? maybe she's trying to fly to the Midway islands? Everyone in St. Louis and Chicago knows about the commuter flights on Southwest to and fron Chicago. They are usually really cheap and even at the most expensive times, it's no more than $200. I told her to call the Admissions office or look online to find the best way to get to school. So far, this entire conversation, she doesn't say, "oh guess what? I got an interview to Pritzker!" That would have been much nicer than trying to hide it but obviously not. I was SO angry, especially since she knew I was sensitive about possibly not getting into my alma mater. On top of that, she adds, "oh okay, well, how about getting to Northwestern?"

Okay, so you might be thinking, maybe she just didn't realize it and was fishing for a congrats. Well, here's proof that she's trying to rub it in:
about 2 weeks later, my mom comes to visit, and we go out with my friend nd her mom. At dinner, her mom says, "oh, don't forget to ask Linda about going to Chicago." to which I expected her to say, "oh I already did." Nope, instead, she says, "oh yeah, so can you tell me how to get to the uchicago campus? I tried to ask my host, but she gave a really vague description." ARRGHGH!! I don't even want to go on with this venting!! So I tried to be polite and said, jokingly, "didn't you ask me this already?" But i still gave her detailed directions and then told her to call the admissions office or look online.

I got an interview at WashU (miraculous) and I was tempted to call her up and ask her how to get to the admissions office (even though I work on the medical campus). But that would be the evil applicant thing to do. And i"m not going to stoop that low.

edit: This is really an isolated occurance. I have plenty of other friends who are also applying. Some of us have lots of interviews, some have none, some just submitted AMCAS, etc. And we are all VERY supportive of each other. Just this one incidence really got under my skin.
Dude you are being over sensitive. Seriously. Chill out a little. I don't find anything wrong with the way your friend acted.

chef_NU said:
Dude you are being over sensitive. Seriously. Chill out a little. I don't find anything wrong with the way your friend acted.

The key word is FRIEND. Friends are supposed to be supportive of one another, not underhandedly flaunting their successes when they know you are in a low spot. If she had just told me, "hey I got an interview!" I would have been happy for her. Sure, I would have secretly felt jealous, but that cannot be helped. But I would have been happy because she wanted to share her good news openly with me.

I don't know what kind of friends you're used to, but I don't think I'm over-reacting at all.

like my friend who said "try some DO schools" and "maybe medicine's not for you." i was appalled to hear that ****, to say the least.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
ahumdinger said:
The key word is FRIEND. Friends are supposed to be supportive of one another, not underhandedly flaunting their successes when they know you are in a low spot. If she had just told me, "hey I got an interview!" I would have been happy for her. Sure, I would have secretly felt jealous, but that cannot be helped. But I would have been happy because she wanted to share her good news openly with me.

I don't know what kind of friends you're used to, but I don't think I'm over-reacting at all.

you're not over-reacting. it's probably because she's "one of those" pre-meds. there's cool people with social skills and then, there's them.

DaMota said:
like my friend who said "try some DO schools" and "maybe medicine's not for you." i was appalled to hear that ****, to say the least.
-mota

i've heard that 123453467 to the 8th power number of times from people who claim to know everything the application process: like how i'd "never pass" the mcat, or that i should do dental school or DO or give it all up.
your friend does not know what s/he is talking about nor does s/he know what you're really made of, so s/he obviously is in no position to pass any judgement on you. you don't need that kind of negativity. i'd say f*ck-it and ignore them all.

DaMota said:
-mota

very rude of your friend to say medicine's not for you, but what's so bad about DO schools? i don't think it's sufficiently horrible to attend a DO school that it would be insulting to suggest the DO route to a premed.

exlawgrrl said:
very rude of your friend to say medicine's not for you, but what's so bad about DO schools? i don't think it's sufficiently horrible to attend a DO school that it would be insulting to suggest the DO route to a premed.

i completely agree. but i've looked into DO programs and am not interested.
-mota

DaMota said:
-mota

I completely feel you, do you ever read SDN and pull up other peoples stats who got invites and acceptances and are like WTF why not me, I know jealousy doesn't become me but man, all this work, all this bs all this loot, and I am sitting here holding my D$%K.
I could scream, I drive my boss nuts because I can't be within five feet of the internet without checking my email.

ahumdinger said:
venter here:

That one is no friend but soem pissant who feels better about herself when she tears others down, next time she cslls tell her to stick it up her kazoo

Joonie said:
i've heard that 123453467 to the 8th power number of times from people who claim to know everything the application process: like how i'd "never pass" the mcat, or that i should do dental school or DO or give it all up.
your friend does not know what s/he is talking about nor does s/he know what you're really made of, so s/he obviously is in no position to pass any judgement on you. you don't need that kind of negativity. i'd say f*ck-it and ignore them all.

like i always say, champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends.
-mota

I love this forum I am so mad I just listen to metallica pace when not at work,gym,volunteering or w/ wife. Weights are the only thing that is keeping me sane,
Mota thanks this forum is good-misery loves company, just b$&% and let it roll

DaMota said:
like i always say, champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends.
-mota

:laugh: That's a great quote. That's definintely going on my facebook.

beefballs said:
That one is no friend but soem pissant who feels better about herself when she tears others down, next time she cslls tell her to stick it up her kazoo

Haha! that is exactly what my boyfriend told me to do. He said, (and I paraphrase) "man, it must be a girl thing to have all this drama. Guys would never do this, if we did, I'd have something to say about it. I went through the same thing when I was applying. One of my best friends was applying and getting all these interviews. And if he pulled this kind of **** on me, I'd call him up and say, 'dude, what the f*ck is up your bum? Grow some balls and then we'll talk' "

beefballs said:

haha i must say thats one of the funniest things i've read on this forum. haha kazoo...classic.
-mota

ahumdinger said:
Haha! that is exactly what my boyfriend told me to do. He said, (and I paraphrase) "man, it must be a girl thing to have all this drama. Guys would never do this, if we did, I'd have something to say about it. I went through the same thing when I was applying. One of my best friends was applying and getting all these interviews. And if he pulled this kind of **** on me, I'd call him up and say, 'dude, what the f*ck is up yourbum? Grow some balls and then we'll talk' "

Yeah it seems when a guy wants to be rude he will be overt with it, but women maybe won't stick the knife in but they sure twist it.
On a side note my grandma told me that I am not as smart as my sister so I shouldn't get accepted, I thought my mom was gonna kill her. She is senile old and mean, and she's blood so I just ignore her but mom had to leave the room. Watching my mom put her in her place and storm out felt good, I got a great mom

DaMota said:
-mota

yeah i had a similar situation when a "friend" told me he had a book left behind by a cousin, "how to get in to carribean med schools" and that i should seriously look into that option. this is before i even took the mcat.

he said i was being oversensitive when i told him he should not say things like that to premeds because it will give them the impression that you don't have any faith in their success. he's not my friend anymore. jerk.

bubbleyum said:
yeah i had a similar situation when a "friend" told me he had a book left behind by a cousin, "how to get in to carribean med schools" and that i should seriously look into that option. this is before i even took the mcat.

he said i was being oversensitive when i told him he should not say things like that to premeds because it will give them the impression that you don't have any faith in their success. he's not my friend anymore. jerk.

That's messed up. You should tell that guy to take that book and stick it up his ass, I mean talk about being an dingus.

beefballs said:
Yeah it seems when a guy wants to be rude he will be overt with it, but women maybe won't stick the knife in but they sure twist it.
On a side note my grandma told me that I am not as smart as my sister so I shouldn't get accepted, I thought my mom was gonna kill her. She is senile old and mean, and she's blood so I just ignore her but mom had to leave the room. Watching my mom put her in her place and storm out felt good, I got a great mom

its crazy how old people are either REALLY nice or REALLY mean. there is no in between.
-mota