knowledge of US health care system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm a canadian with a couple of interviews coming up. i'm currently doing some more reserach on the american health care system, but was wondering to what what extent should i know such information?

in canadian interviews, its pretty common to ask such questions (e.g., what is the biggest challenge facing canadian health care etc.)

i was wondering how well versed i should be in issues surrounding us health care, medicare etc. or how frequently such topics come up in an interview setting.

ethical situations are pretty similar across the border, but our health care systems are quite different.

thanks for your advice :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys,

i'm a canadian with a couple of interviews coming up. i'm currently doing some more reserach on the american health care system, but was wondering to what what extent should i know such information?

in canadian interviews, its pretty common to ask such questions (e.g., what is the biggest challenge facing canadian health care etc.)

i was wondering how well versed i should be in issues surrounding us health care, medicare etc. or how frequently such topics come up in an interview setting.

ethical situations are pretty similar across the border, but our health care systems are quite different.

thanks for your advice :oops:
Well let me tell you a story. Before each of my interviews i prepped and read so i was current on our healthcare issues (i didnt know because i dont really care about this stuff) and in each interview i waited for it to come up. It never came up. Only in one of my interviews i got ethical but never any healthcare. I think they wanted to know more about me than about what i knew.

I, on the other hand, have had questions about the health care system and/or ethics at about 3/4 of my interviews, and some very probing and difficult questions at one of them. OP, you should check out the SDN interview feedback for the schools where you will be interviewing. Schools definitely show patterns. I have never been asked specific questions that other posters had reported being asked at particular schools, but I have always been able to tell whether the interviews would be conversational and friendly or meticulous and adversarial, and also whether they would include ethical questions, health care questions, clinical scenarios, etc.