Kochar's Concise Textbook of Medicine VS Cecils Essentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DotheDo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is a better internal med book to use during the 2nd year -- Kochar's Concise Textbook of Medicine or Cecil's Essentials...or should I use Harrison's....but between Kochar's and Cecil's which is more indepth and just a better learning source...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DotheDo said:
Which is a better internal med book to use during the 2nd year -- Kochar's Concise Textbook of Medicine or Cecil's Essentials...or should I use Harrison's....but between Kochar's and Cecil's which is more indepth and just a better learning source...thanks
Up-To-Date.

Up-To-Date is great if your school pays for it... not all schools do.

Members don't see this ad :)
well what is a good internal medicine book that gives a great explanation of things but isn't as overwhelming as Harrisons? Kochars or Cecil's Essentials? Of these two -- which gives a more in depth explanatino -- not just what happens but why? thanks

Can someone please share the access code for online material provided by Kochar's Clinical Medicine book?

Can someone please share the access code for online material provided by Kochar's Clinical Medicine book?

I'm pretty sure it's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

Up-To-Date is great if your school pays for it... not all schools do.

true. good alternative might be DynaMed, which is free to anyone with a smartphone. outline format, not UptoDate's pretty prose, but free - and often better.

I'm pretty sure it's up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

Damnit, stop going around giving that code to random beggars.
But then again, it's a secret to everybody.

If you're just looking for a quick M2 reference, then a copy of the little Harrison's should do you just fine. Save your money, especially if you find yourself deciding to match into IM, and then you can get a copy of big Cecil's. I'm not sure I ever used Kochar for much during third year (and definitely not for second year).