korean dentists being too saturated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambition05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am a korean and this concerned me.

There's already a lot of korean dentists in nyu/nj or any other major cities such as la; you walk a block of korean town and you will see korean dentist's practice everywhere.
Also, the fact that there's already a lot of korean dental students in dental school (over 20 at columbia, a lot at nyu/bu, somewhat a lot at penn) and a lot of koreans will come to dental school in the future.

Would it be 'too much' saturated for korean dentists to an extent that it will be very hard for korean dentist to get patient and make decent income?
The koreans tend to go to korean dentists while the white americans or any other race would go to american dentists. Thus, potential patient pool for korean dentists are the korean immigrants. However, it just seems like there are 'too many' korean dentists already and it will only become worse in the future due to fact that there's a lot of koreans in dental schools.

People say that, these days, dentistry might be better than medicine, lifestyle/income-wise, due to managed care effect on medicine,
however, i don't know about korean dentist
i don't see how korean dentists will survive this 'korean dentist saturation'.
Or am I totally wrong about this thought?

Any comment?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not Korean. The situation you are describing makes some Korean groups sound pretty insulated. If you locate somewhere that needs dentists, you'll get visits. For example, the VA hires dentists of Vietnamese origin. Vietnam veterans get dental services from these dentists. In the private arena its largely about location, location, location. If you want to focus your energy on Korean populations then locate your practice in that community. It sounds like you'll be fighting "Korean" dentist saturation. If Koreans aren't your primary target, or you want a broader demographic than solely Koreans then locate somewhere not primarily Korean where there is demand for dentists.

Don't really have much to say except there are TONS of Korean predents even here in Oregon. Japanese/Chinese are much less represented (they seem mostly premed).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't limit myself only to korean patients. Wouldn't you make "korean" to be some of your patients?
Plus like you said, there are so MANY dentists already present in all states.
But they will retire someday and WE have to furfill those retirement spots.
(The dentist I worked for had shaky hands-dental work can really get you there..and that's why dentists can't work for long years.)

The dentist I worked for had shaky hands-dental work can really get you there..and that's why dentists can't work for long years.

How much truth is there in this statement?

Hi.

I am a korean and this concerned me.

There's already a lot of korean dentists in nyu/nj or any other major cities such as la; you walk a block of korean town and you will see korean dentist's practice everywhere.
Also, the fact that there's already a lot of korean dental students in dental school (over 20 at columbia, a lot at nyu/bu, somewhat a lot at penn) and a lot of koreans will come to dental school in the future.

Would it be 'too much' saturated for korean dentists to an extent that it will be very hard for korean dentist to get patient and make decent income?
The koreans tend to go to korean dentists while the white americans or any other race would go to american dentists. Thus, potential patient pool for korean dentists are the korean immigrants. However, it just seems like there are 'too many' korean dentists already and it will only become worse in the future due to fact that there's a lot of koreans in dental schools.

People say that, these days, dentistry might be better than medicine, lifestyle/income-wise, due to managed care effect on medicine,
however, i don't know about korean dentist
i don't see how korean dentists will survive this 'korean dentist saturation'.
Or am I totally wrong about this thought?

Any comment?

I shadowed a filipino dentist and most of his patients were filipino. However, a large number are also of other ethnicities. Even in medicine, patients prefer to see a doctor of their own race/ethnicity. But this does not necessarily mean that you'll be starving--people will still come to you if you are a good dentist.

I work for a Korean dentist in AZ. A good majority of the patients are "American" The only Korean patients we have in our practice are the ones that he has brought from church or his friends. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you do quality work and things will be fine.

who really knows what's going on?

...marry a black man and you can tap in on the black market too.

...do you speak with a strong accent? if you speak articulately and enunciate well, then you may not have trouble getting american patients.

...work in an area without many dentists, perhaps a predominantly hispanic area, and you won't have trouble getting clients.

...blah, blah, blah. patients are all over. only you can limit your potential.

How much truth is there in this statement?

i would say it's fairly accurate. dentistry is a very laborious field. you're constantly working with your hands and are hunched over patients all day long. no doubt, it will wear your body down.

I know super rich dentists. they are pretty much graduateed from so so schools but they got good hands and excellent patient relationships.

I know so many ucsf dental school graduates who does not get as many patients... why? I am only talking korean dentists ...

ask yourself why you wanna do it.... you also have an option to practice in
Korea as well .. you will make close a milion a year easily if you are specialized u know where I am talking about
go kang-nam or bun-dang... you would see so many u.s. trained dentists... doing extremely well

I am talking in us dollars... all you americans think that only americans make money... specially those from somewhere

so you got more potential than anybody else.... one more think do you know who makes most in medicine.... as a md... it's one guy who got md from msu
(michigan state univ) where they do not even have teaching hospitals...

I'm 2nd-gen Korean-American, so I hope that this is a 1st-gen writing this post. You're missing out if not only business~wise, but just in life if you restrict yourself to your own ethnic community.

I consider myself American first. I think 1st-gen parents do great damage to their children when they overly stress pride in their home culture. One needs to push themselves continually out of their comfort zone, interacting with people of different backgrounds so preconceptions can be dismantled. That way you can find out how much we all have in common.

Last edited: