Kroger Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here completed or got accepted to a Kroger residency? How was your experience with it and do you like it?

Members don't see this ad.

I really really don't understand why people do community residencies. What is the advantage? My school has a community residency associated through kroger. Most of the residents are *****s.

I really really don't understand why people do community residencies. What is the advantage? My school has a community residency associated through kroger. Most of the residents are *****s.

I guess the hope is to obtain a "clinical coordinator" position with the company. I do not think there is too many of those positions available though. I have met one community resident and the resident seemed pretty sharp but it is a very different experience from a typical managed care/hospital PGY1.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a professor that did a community residency and now has community practice sites where she does MTM and whatnot. In states where outpatient collaborative practice agreements are legal, these pharmacists could work in doctors' offices. I know Shenandoah offers an amb. care residency where you work in a family practice, a community residency-trained pharmacist could work in that type of a setting as well.

There aren't too many community residencies available, so that controls for the fact that there aren't too many jobs in the field. You just need to be willing to relocate. As for me, if I had to choose between am care residency and community residency, I'd pick am care, since I would think it would let you deal with community pharmacy clinical issues and more.

Most pharmacists I know that have completed a PGY1 with a community chain have ended up working retail. Some have incorporated MTM in their practice as well. I don't think all of the community practice PGY1 are *****s. Anyone can be a ***** in any setting. You can't label a person a ***** if they choose to work in a community setting. There are plenty of intelligent pharmacists that work in all areas.