KU School of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanDoctor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Who is going to the University of Kansas School of Medicine in the fall? Anybody know when orientation or classes start? Or where they are going to be living?

Looking forward to meeting you all at KUMC!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Trojan Doctor. Where are you at now? Are you in Kansas? :luck:

Waiting waiting waiting! Definitely my number one choice, and at a pretty good spot on the waitlist. Hopefully I'll know a lot more in the next two weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey voltron77,
I'm actually in London right now. I am spending my last undergrad semester abroad. I like to think of it as my vacation before the grind of medical school. I am finishing my undergrad at USC right now. Hence the TrojanDoctor screenname...I really should change it to something Kansas related. Anyone know how?

I'm originally from Kansas though!

Goodluck with the waitlist panda81! Hopefully you'll get in!

Woohoo! A thread about KU! :clap:

I'll be there in the fall. I believe that orientation starts on August 2 and classes begin a week after that.

No idea where I'm living, though......

WoW
Aug 2!!!! thats pretty early. How'd you find that out? anyways, it is nice to have a thread about KUMC!!!

Rock chalk Jayhawk! I think all of us future KU Med-ers need to meet up sometime. I'm looking for a roomate and an apartment, so if any of you are nice, quietish, fun, and clean give me a holler.

Rock Chalk, and welcome to KU.

Danielle
KUSoM 2005

TrojanDoctor said:
WoW
Aug 2!!!! thats pretty early. How'd you find that out?

It said so in the packet they sent with the memorandum of agreement:

"Registration and orientation are required for all incoming students during the week prior to the first week of classes. Please plan for orientation beginning on Monday, August 2, with classes beginning on Monday of the week following orientation. If the decision is made to begin orientation on another date, you will be notified of the change as soon as possible."

Thanks for that info about orientation...I guess i should read my papers more carefully. Anyways, meeting up sometime sounds like a great idea. For all you people already at KU, do we need anything before we start orientation or classes in the way of books, parking or stuff like that? Or should we just worry about that later? Also, where do students usually live? I think it'd be cool to live in an apartment complex near other KU MEDers.

On a different note, what are is everybody planning to do this summer? I can't decide if i want to find work and make some money or just be a bum and laze around till orientation....

TrojanDoctor said:
For all you people already at KU, do we need anything before we start orientation or classes in the way of books, parking or stuff like that? Or should we just worry about that later? Also, where do students usually live? I think it'd be cool to live in an apartment complex near other KU MEDers.

On a different note, what are is everybody planning to do this summer? I can't decide if i want to find work and make some money or just be a bum and laze around till orientation....

Just show up. Orientation is 4 days (Friday is the White Coat Ceremony, if I remember right.) They call off the parking nazis for the first few weeks, so you have time to worry about that later. Also, you'll meet up with your big sibs, hopefully score some books, and have the chance to buy your syllabi if you want to before things start. But you can wait. ;)

As for housing, both Rainbow Towers and Rainbow Ridge apartment complexes are close. I bought a house in southern JoCo, so I communte in. Your call, whatever you choose to do.

And you should definitely be a lazy bum this summer. :sleep: while you can. :)

Danielle

hey everyone,

have you guys been getting any paperwork stuff from KU MED??? I haven't really gotten anything, but i was expecting LOADS of letters and stuff like that. Kinda surprised...anyways, hope you all are enjoying the summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
TrojanDoctor said:
hey everyone,

have you guys been getting any paperwork stuff from KU MED??? I haven't really gotten anything, but i was expecting LOADS of letters and stuff like that. Kinda surprised...anyways, hope you all are enjoying the summer!

Hey Trojan,

The last thing that I received was a packet that included the questionnaire for the academic societies and some of the health stuff and that book written by that asian med-student. Besides that, I haven't gotten anything else recently, but I expect that they'll start sendin' us stuff pretty soon. Have you found a place to stay yet????

hey felipe,

Yeah, i got that stuff too...i am gonna start reading that book pretty soon. have you read it? is it any good? I got a one-bedroom place in rainbow towers. actually, my dad found the place for me since i've been away. I would have preffered to share a 2 or 3 bedroom place with some other people, but i really don't know anyone...anyways, i am excited about having my own place. how about you? found a place yet?

TrojanDoctor said:
hey felipe,

Yeah, i got that stuff too...i am gonna start reading that book pretty soon. have you read it? is it any good? I got a one-bedroom place in rainbow towers. actually, my dad found the place for me since i've been away. I would have preffered to share a 2 or 3 bedroom place with some other people, but i really don't know anyone...anyways, i am excited about having my own place. how about you? found a place yet?

Hey Troj,

Because I'm waitlisted at my two top schools, I still haven't found a place yet near KU med. Seeing as its mid-June, I'm starting to get a little worried and will start looking for a place sometime soon....I'm kinda scared that there'll be slim-pickin's this late, but oh well. Will definitely look at Rainbow Towers, it looks quite convenient. Have you checked out your studio??? Tell me what you or your dad though plz :horns:

felipe

Any Cali people out there going to Kansas this August? Also, is there any housing that is within walking distance of the school?

felipe5 said:
Hey Troj,

Because I'm waitlisted at my two top schools, I still haven't found a place yet near KU med. Seeing as its mid-June, I'm starting to get a little worried and will start looking for a place sometime soon....I'm kinda scared that there'll be slim-pickin's this late, but oh well. Will definitely look at Rainbow Towers, it looks quite convenient. Have you checked out your studio??? Tell me what you or your dad though plz :horns:

felipe

good luck with the wait lists...i hope it works out for you. I haven't checked out my place yet. My dad said it was decent enough. I am not really that picky where I live. I've heard the Rainbow Towers is an ok place to liive and from what people say other med students live there too...

I am so happy to see this thread again!

I just got in a week and a half ago(#49 on the waitlist, amazingly enough!) and am thrilled beyond belief that I'm going to be a JayDoc!

A few random Jayhawk thoughts:

Does anyone know what time the White Coat Ceremony will be at? My mom keeps harassing me about it. I feel like I need way more info about orientation and so-forth other than just to "show up in Murphy on August 2", but I'm not sure if there are still letters I haven't gotten yet. Then again, I suppose that is what orientation is for.

Rainbow Towers is decent enough, I didn't look at a room, but I can tell you that it is the best location there is. It is a 2 minute walk from the hospital.

I'm still looking for housing, so if anyone knows of other KU folks that still need a place to live or have an extra room to rent, let me know! I'm getting a little frantic about where to live, as all of the other people I know heading to KU already have living arrangements.

Looking forward to meeting you all in August. Eek. That's freaking soon. The magnitude of the whole "I'm actually going to med school" thing is still sinking in!

Did you guys get that email about the water main breaking in Murphy hall??? It must be pretty big if the admissions office will be out for 1 week. WTF?!?!? Geeeeez, imagine if that happened to us next year, say while we're in the anatomy labs......YIKES. Floods and cadavers don't mix :laugh:

ps----congrats on your acceptance ajennings!!! Its good to see a fellow jayhawker get what he/she deserves :horns:

Thanks, felipe!

Re: the water main break, uh, yeah. I work on the peds floor and Sunday am one of the night nurses was leaving the building and was walking through Murphy. She called me all frantic (i'm the clerk) and was like- there is a foot of water on the floor- can you call someone?!?! I guess the walls were falling down and ceilings crumbling and everything. What a pain in the ass!

hey guys!

i was wondering what you guys are doing about computers for medschool? do you have desktops or notebooks that you are taking with you?? or is anyone buying a new comp for med school?? I need to buy a new comp for medschool and was thinking about a MAC notebook...If anyone who is more computer literate than me or already at KU MED who could give a few pointers on MAC vs PC or notebook vs desktop, that would be great!

Thanks!

i hear ku med is going wireless---i'm holding off on a laptop until then. anyone have a clue as to when this is going to actually happen??

to any current KU student:

Is it worth it for my parents to drive for 4.5 hours to come see my white coat ceremony? They're pretty cranky travellers and I don't want them to come if they're probably going to be dissapointed. :sleep:

Thanks!

hey guys,

I know the white-coat ceremony is on the 6th of August, but does anyone know when the first day of orientation is???

August 2.

I don't think they've sent out time/location information yet, but one of the mailings said that orientation begins on August 2nd, unless we're notified otherwise.

anyone else move into their new apartment yet? i moved in last week and have been terribly bored and lonely. however, my apartment is absolutely fabulous! it's a very very small studio, had to get rid of some shoes in order for all my treasures to fit:(

so. i'm avoiding all the studying i should be doing in favor of cruising sdn. now that we've made it through orientation and had a chance to meet each other..............i want to know who you are!!!! felipe5 is somewhat obvious, but who are the rest of you????

Just a quick question for anyone who was accepted: when does kansas start sending out secondaries, specifically to out of state applicants? Its the last of the secondaries i'm currently waiting on. Thanks
dave

ummmmmmmm, don't really remember. just curious, but why do you want to go to KU-med since you are out of state???

I am from Nebraska originally so its not too far from home and have heard many great things about KU. Several of the doctors I have come in contact with have degrees from KU school of medicine. Any insite you could give on the school would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

just survived my second week of classes. its very tough, they keep thowing more and more information at you, but i'm loving every minute of it. basically we are in three classes right now: cell & tissue biology, biochemistry, and physiology. we also have a clinical class and a public health class, but those are very laidback (so far at least.) first test block is this friday, so i might have a different opinion of ku med after that..............

if you have any specific questions, pm me!

hey dave,

Can't really say for sure, but secondaries should be on their way by sometime soon. I knew some out-of-staters who received their apps about the same time as I did, and there were definitely some on the day that lilmo and I interviewed (we interviewed on the 1st or 2nd non ED day). Good luck.....its a great school, despite our frickin' CTB class.........ugggggggh