KU vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glacayo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone knows the residency reputation at Boston U vs Kansas U because I have interviews at both on the same date and need to pick one.

I'm looking for good fellowship opportunities after residency, good pathology, high surgical volume, and patient autonomy.

any info would be greatly appreciated

PS: same question for SUNY-Brooklyn vs St. Vincent's (Manhattan):)

thanks inadvance;)

Members don't see this ad.

hey glacayo,

I interviewed at BU last week and did not apply to KU. As you probably know, BU has 3 residents per year and they have two fellowships, cornea and retina.

All my info is from the talk the residents gave us. BU residents rotate through the VA. This plus their regular patient base, they said, gives them a high surgical volume relative to the MEEI and especially as compared to Tufts. What's the volume exactly? I can't remember any numbers being thrown around. The resident I spoke with told me that the fellows do most of the retina and cornea procedures, but if you're really into it and if the fellow is the only person in the OR, s/he'll let you do some parts of it.

One of the residents who spoke with us, Jackie, is applying for a cornea fellowship. She, and the PD, mentioned that most of their residents have not had problems obtaining choice fellowships.

Since BU treats underprivileged patients, the residents do see lots of pathology and, in many cases, in the late stages.

We toured the clinics and they seemed pretty good. I forgot how many lanes they have and the type of available equipment. The waiting room was full when we were there. Clinics are resident run with attending supervision. They're planning a new eye building, but that won't be up for another 20-30 months or so, if I remember correctly.

The chairman, Dr. Leibowitz, recently stepped down only because he was the longest serving ophtho chairman in the country and the program is searching for a new chair now. You'll meet him, the interim chair, Dr. Feinberg, as well as the PD, Dr. Gittinger. All of them are pleasant.

Interview style is 3 20 minute interviews. Interview day lasts about 3.5 to 4 hours. The interview questions mostly centered on personality: what are your hobbies? what are your strengths/weaknesses? some questions about your specific application. boxers or briefs? ok, not that last one.

The residents are very chill and appear happy. Call is from home, q3-4 the first year and less after that. The residents told me that rent in Boston is about $1300 for a 1 bedroom and $1700 or so for a 2 bedroom.

None of this answered your original question about rep.

thank for the detailed feedback on the program. As long as the program is stable there is no problem. Boston is a great city.

I'll be there on Dec 6.

good luck with your other interviews

:)