KUMC questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interleukin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A two pronged question:

How much of a headache is it to commute across kansas city to get to ku medical school? And how bad is the parking situation?

A one pronged question:

How crucial is it to have a computer and internet access at home during med school?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple friends who go to KU. From what they tell me the parking lot is about a 15 minute walk from the building. They all live around school and say it's faster for them to walk then to drive. As for commuting, like all cities you want to avoid the rush hour traffic. But you shouldn't have too much of a problem at 7:00.
Going home around 4-5 may be a different story.

As to your second question, if I remember correctly, KU provides all their notes online so having a computer will be beneficial in that way. Also it helps to be able to e-mail profs and class mates. If you lived around campus it wouldn't be that bad since they have computers all over the school. But since your commuting you may want to buy a computer for your home.

Hope that helps.

Hey interleukin: Are you familiar with Kansas City at all? I'm asking because I'm confused about what you mean by "commuting across kc". Are you planning on living far from the med center? I'm from the area and if want to pm me with more specific inquiries I'd be happy to help out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went and asked peggy about parking, and its like 60 for the year in the yellow lot which is jsut a few blocks from school. my apartment is like 3 miles or so away (wood view)

computer and internet will be really helpful i think. you can get the notes online, as well as just finding sites about classes from other schools. in the SMP i used lots of other med schools websites because they presented stuff a little better, or had better histo slides, etc.

I was hoping some KU Med students or previous applicants could give me some advice on the secondary app and the interview at KU. I'm applying for 2004 but doing volunteer work overseas right now and its hard to get advice/info. From your experiences what are they looking for in the interview (other than what everyone else is-anything KU specific)? What kinds of questions are on their secondary? Any clue to how many EDP apps they get and how many they accept?

Hey Mole!

KU historically accepts quite a lot of EDP students (25 or so a year). It is a good way for them to keep students with higher stats in Kansas that they may possibly loose to private schools. Have you taken the MCAT yet? They are pretty specific about what scores they suggest you have to apply for EDP. I was accepted through EDP this year, so PM me if you have any specific questions about the process.

The secondary was really easy. There were 4 or 5 questions about things like ?What experience contributed most to your desire to become a physician? but you only have something like 160 characters to answer so its impossible to be elaborate. I basically cut and pasted a few lines from my AMCAS essay, since I had covered some of the questions they asked there.

I am not sure there is anything KU specific in the interview, other then why do you want to go to KU, or why you want to go to school in Kansas. The interview was pretty low stress, and all my interviewers were really nice. As a matter of fact, one of the interviewers (an MD who teaches at KU) wrote me a thank you letter! That was quite a nice surprise. :)

Good luck with your application!

Originally posted by interleukin
A two pronged question:

How much of a headache is it to commute across kansas city to get to ku medical school? And how bad is the parking situation?

A one pronged question:

How crucial is it to have a computer and internet access at home during med school?

Thanks for any input.

I live around 12 miles from the med center, and it takes me around 25 min to get there. There is a LOT of highway construction going on in KC, (several 4 lane highways are down to two lanes at the moment) so this may get a little better for me in the future. I am not sure how this would be inflated during 4:30 rush hour? KC is not as bad as some cities to drive through, but it IS a big city.

I know someone who lives even farther then me from KU, and if he spots this thread he can post the time it takes him to get to KU. :)

Parking: The school has a 3 color-coded parking setup. The yellow is farthest out, but is always available (Meaning you can always buy a yellow pass- not that you can always find parking!). The blue and red lots are closer, but they both have a THREE year waiting list!

I?m not sure about the Internet access stuff- a current student would have to let you know about that.

Some information that Dean McCurdy gave me back in March.

As of 3/7/03:

Total applicants: 1292
Total interviews: 398
Total Admission offers: 197
Total EDP offers: 35
Average age: 25
Average UGPA: 3.65
Average Sience UGPA: 3.58
Average MCAT sub sections:
Biological: 9.7
Physical: 9.4
Verbal: 9.4

I don't have a hard figure on the number of EDP applicants or the number of EDP interviews offered, but I think she said that around 70 EDP interviews were given. The suggested guidlines for EDP application are 3.5 GPA and 28 Cum MCAT(KU EDP Info ). All of the people I know that were accepted EDP had numbers at least this good.

As far as driving goes, I rented a house ~19 miles from the med center (in Olathe) and it will take up to 40 minutes to drive in depending on the traffic and construction. Most of my time is on the interstate, so with no traffic I can get there in as little as 20 minutes (at 70+mph). Once there, it will still take at least 15 min to park and walk in. Good luck to you!

DALA