KYCOM vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am trying to decide which school to place a deposit down for between CUSOM VS KYCOM. Originally, I was leaning towards CUSOM due to it being closer to home, however I have heard concerning rumors regarding the treatment of students throughout the pandemic and several students failing classes during 2021. Any advice or insight is appreciated!

CUSOM
Pros:
good research opportunities
students and staff super friendly at interview day
100% placement rate
good match list
very good board scores on both USMLE and COMLEX
Scholarships
Close to home

Cons:
attendance policy
Rumors regarding brutal administration throughout pandemic and students failing 2021
Dress code

KYCOM

Pros:
Lots of resources: OPP table, complex fees paid, ipad pro, textbooks provided
established program
block schedule (one large test every 4 weeks)
heavy on OMM

Cons:
Very rural
Primarily primary care
poor residency match rate relative to other schools
not familiar with local culture

Members don't see this ad.

I went to CUSOM’s thread this year as I had not heard about those admin issues before. Another student tried to provide more details to frame why this suddenly happened.

I believe KYCOM said they have mandatory attendance for the 1st semester as well as a dress code for lectures. It is a pain to get there as it is far from an airport. If CUSOM is close to home, I think that goes a long way towards your success in school. There’s been discussions about people failing or attrition at other schools (including MD), more so during the pandemic. But even before, I remember reading that one of the bigger DO schools had 10% drop out.

If moving to KYCOM will add the stress of being in a different environment without that east of access to friends and family back home, that won’t make it more advantageous than CUSOM. This past year might end up a one-off year too for them.