LA and epi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a 40 lbs child requires multiple surgeries under LA. the max # of cartidges of lidocaine with 1:100000 epi that may be safely add at one time is....
plz explain how to attempt these qns.....
thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

a 40 lbs child requires multiple surgeries under LA. the max # of cartidges of lidocaine with 1:100000 epi that may be safely add at one time is....
plz explain how to attempt these qns.....
thanks...
one way is to use clarks rule...divide the healthy adult dose by 1/3.and that gives the child dose..
for 2% lignocaine with epinephrine, in a 2.2 ml cartridge, the upper adult dose is 4 and a half cartridges...
so the child safe dose would be one and a half cartridges..
is there any other simpler method to calculate this ??
if any one knows of it..do reply..

A child should not receive more than 4.4 mg/kg or 2.0 mg/lb of anesthesia.

A 40lb child could therefore receive 80 mg of local.

2% Lidocaine has 34-36 mg of local in it (some carps have 1.7ml others have 1.8ml but it doesn't really matter).

80/36 = a little more than 2. So a 40lb child can have 2 carpules of 2% Lido.

one way is to use clarks rule...divide the healthy adult dose by 1/3.and that gives the child dose..

By the way, that is the dumbest "rule" I've ever heard in my life--no offense directed at you. We shouldn't divide ANY adult dose by 1/3 for a child. A child isn't simply 1/3 an adult. That's a great way to kill a child, as has been demonstrated by many dentists and physicians, unfortunately.

Weight (or body surface area which is even better!) should ALWAYS be used when calculating pediatric drug dosages.

By the way, that is the dumbest "rule" I've ever heard in my life--no offense directed at you. We shouldn't divide ANY adult dose by 1/3 for a child. A child isn't simply 1/3 an adult. That's a great way to kill a child, as has been demonstrated by many dentists and physicians, unfortunately.

Weight (or body surface area which is even better!) should ALWAYS be used when calculating pediatric drug dosages.
hi..
thanks for clearing this doubt...