Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

La Guardia (LAG) to NYMC

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by newdude, Nov 26, 2005.

1. newdude

newdude Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I need to go to la guardia airport to New York Medical College (NYMC).

I was wondering what's the cheapest way?
    fastest way?

I also need to get back to la guardia from NYMC, so any info would be appreciated. this is on monday at 7pm.

thx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could take the commuter train from grand central to Valhalla, but I don't know how close to the school the train station is and I don't know how you get to grand central from LAG. There's probably a way to do it, though. It would probably be simplest to rent a car and drive there & back, but it might not be cheapest. I'm all for simple. (less stress!)

4. americanangel

americanangel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The easiest thing to down would be to get a car service and have someone drive you, since driving though that part of the city and Long Island is a nightmare....But, that's not cheap!! I would recommend taking the train to LGA. I know a train runs right into EWR so I assume one also runs into LGA.
    Best of Luck

5. cbt81

cbt81 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    by public transport its a bit of a trek, but here goes...
    there are shuttle busses that go from the airport to grand central.
    from GC you can take the harlem line to white plains, and then a cab from the train staition to valhalla. I dont know how much the shuttle bus costs, but round trip to white plains is ~12 and the cab about 10 dollars each way.

6. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rent a car, jump on the Grand Central heading toward the Van Wyck parkway. Get on the Van Wyck Parkway north towards the whitestone bridge. There may be alot of traffic on the Whitestone bridge now due to construction, so allow plenty of time, when you pay your toll at the end on the bridge stay to the left, and that will become the Hutchinso0n River Parkway. Continue on it until exit 13. Exit off onto exit 13 and stay to the right. Merge onto the Sprain Brook Parkway North. Drive until you see exit for the I-287 WEST. Exit off the sprain brook onto the I 287 west exit and stay to the right and exit off exit 2 on the I 287 (You don't have to switch lanes or anything) and keep to the right. You should be on the 9a. At the end of the exit there a light. Turn right onto the 9a and head straight for a few miles. The college will be on you right. It is on a Westchester government compound. Turn into Dana rd and head straight, the college is towards the back of the compound next to the prison.

It should take you about 45 mins to get there, but renting a car is you best choice.

7. wildcatbio06

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why White Plains vs. Valhalla?

8. Zweihander

Zweihander Billygoat Gruff
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Cabs at the white plains station. And it's not actually longer to get to from campus...

9. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Valhalla is right outside of white plains. The train station is about 10 mins away from the school

10. bkflaneur

bkflaneur Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cheapest Way:
    -Take the M60 bus from LGA to 125 Street and Lexington - it's a regular city bus. fare is $2, but they don't take bills. so have $2 in change, or try to buy a metro card somewhere in the airport (i think there's a stand that sells them).
    -At 125 and Lexington (or Park Ave?), take the Metro North train to White Plains. (The Metro North train starts at Grand Central, but 125th ST is the 1st stop, so if you want to save time from LGA, just get the train at 125.)
    -From White Plains, take Taxi to NYMC.

One way cost: Airport bus should cost $2; Metro North is $6-7, taxi $9-11.

Fastest way:
    Rent a car. But then you deal with traffic and potentially getting lost. It's an easy drive if you know where you're going. But if you don't know the area and aren't used to NY traffic, I'd say that public transport is much easier. Also, rental cars in NYC are much more expensive than other parts of country.