La Salle PsyD...comments, thoughts, opinions? Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docihope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am deciding about some options...one of which is the PsyD program at La Salle University. Great interview day, great faculty, students love it. But, no one ever mentions it here...what do you know and what should I know. Any and all help welcome??

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the campus in Newtown or the one in the city?

Are you talking about the campus in Newtown or the one in the city?
In the city. The PsyD program doesn't have classes in any other campus...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, what are the other schools you are deciding on besides La Salle?

Hey all,

I am deciding about some options...one of which is the PsyD program at La Salle University. Great interview day, great faculty, students love it. But, no one ever mentions it here...what do you know and what should I know. Any and all help welcome??

I am pretty sure I've seen La Salle mentioned in several different threads. If you sign in, and click on "search this forum" when you're on the main page that lists the threads for "Clinical Psych [Psy.D./Ph.D.]" and search "La Salle" I am sure you'll come up with a bunch of hits. Maybe you'll get more info that way.

I can't help you myself. The only one you mentioned that I know about is Xavier. Sorry!

Hmm well I haven't heard much about Xavier and nothing good about Yeshiva...so, for me personally it would be just between Rutgers (if you mean their PsyD) or La Salle. Rutgers as far as I know, has much better financial aid (not to mention a year shorter), and it is considered the "Harvard of PsyDs". Umm....so I guess then it comes down to, which do you think is a better fit in terms of faculty and educational experiences/opportunities, how affordable either would be, and what location you would rather be in. La Salle seems like a good program, I had a good interview day there and liked it too but (without having had an interview to judge it by) I personally would pick Rutgers' PsyD if I had an acceptance from them.

Haha sorry...not to tell you what to do at all, I just was sharing what I know and have heard about them... :)

Hmm well I haven't heard much about Xavier and nothing good about Yeshiva...so, for me personally it would be just between Rutgers (if you mean their PsyD) or La Salle. Rutgers as far as I know, has much better financial aid (not to mention a year shorter), and it is considered the "Harvard of PsyDs". Umm....so I guess then it comes down to, which do you think is a better fit in terms of faculty and educational experiences/opportunities, how affordable either would be, and what location you would rather be in. La Salle seems like a good program, I had a good interview day there and liked it too but (without having had an interview to judge it by) I personally would pick Rutgers' PsyD if I had an acceptance from them.

Haha sorry...not to tell you what to do at all, I just was sharing what I know and have heard about them... :)

Thanks for the feedback...I think I am going with my gut and choosing La Salle. Maybe i'm just convincing myself of this, but their program and faculty actually seems stronger than Rutgers...although Rutgers has been around longer. Just feels like a really good fit for me, and I can't believe how positive the students are. Did you hear anything negative from the students? You said you had a good experience at your interview, what did you think of the faculty and presentation about the program? Sorry for all the questions...:)

if you got into rutgers, u really should go. they are one fo the best psyd's, if not the best, in the country.....i'm actually surpised u are having trouble deciding. rutgers is pretty much better in every way....la salle costs much much more, longer program, not as well respected....i interviewed at la salle and was accepted, so i know what the program is all about...that being said, ru is the way to go, no doubt.....sorry if i am being too direct but it's such a privelage to get accepted into rutgers they get like 800 applicants and pick like 7 or something...those numbers arent even close to la salles u should really really reconsider

If you don't want to go to Rutgers you can just tell them I'll take your spot, :D. I thought La Salle did a good job of presenting info about their program, although I didn't write most of it down and am trying to remember some details now haha. I liked the faculty who interviewed me too, but they never even asked me a real interview question so it kind of threw me off for how to prepare for my following interviews, which were much more difficult. The students were positive but I saw that at most if not every interview day where grad students were there, so I kind of take that with a grain of salt unless I hear something negative. I like La Salle, I just am having a hard time deciding on them or any other school since I didn't get into my "top choices" which I felt were a perfect fit for me :( So if you really feel like La Salle is meant for you and Rutgers isn't then I guess, you will make some other Rutgers fan very happy, and you should pick whatever program you really like and that offers the best opportunities for your specific needs. Good luck :luck:

Well, I am on the waitlist at Xavier, so i definately think you should go to Rutgers or La Salle! (I have been very impressed with what i have seen from La Salle, but I agree that it would be hard to pass up an oportunity to study at Rutgers...Congradulations on your acceptance there!)

just wondering...what did you specifically like about la salle?

rutgers and new brunswick is played out! dont go...alho their program is nice. u just wont like livin there

just wondering...what did you specifically like about la salle?

Well, this has triggered more commentary than I thought...the difference between Rutgers and La Salle seems to me to be about program maturity (length of time in existence). Obviously RU has been around longer that LU...RU has 400+ apps and takes 15, LU seems to get about 250 and takes 20+...both seem to have good match internship match stats and both have grads in GREAT post-docs. But my decision went beyond the numbers. I was impressed with the way that faculty and students relate to each other. I liked the rigor of LU, while seemingly establishing great relationships between students and faculty. I like their placements, I like the faculty research interests and their integration of research and practice. I guess it's just a gut feeling...and if RU is the "Harvard" of PsyD's then I feel as though LU may be the "Yale"...and yes, I already sent in my acceptance of their acceptance...so, here we go, a 5 year ride to somewhere good I hope.

Sorry if the comments didn't help, they were meant to just give some input. I think I have it down to where I am pretty much trying to decide between La Salle also, and another school. Congratulations on finalizing your decision! La Salle seems great, and it sounds like you're sure that it's the right fit for you. Now instead of giving everyone else (possible unwanted) advice, I am faced with deciding :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe we will be cohorts!

Sorry if the comments didn't help, they were meant to just give some input. I think I have it down to where I am pretty much trying to decide between La Salle also, and Widener. Congratulations on finalizing your decision! La Salle seems great, and it sounds like you're sure that it's the right fit for you. Now instead of giving everyone else (possible unwanted) advice, I am faced with deciding :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe we will be cohorts!

I didn't mean to suggest that you or anyone gave bad or unhelpful advice. Not at all. I actually was glad to read the feedback. I know these are difficult decisions...and everyone has a different perspective. Discussion (of all kinds and of all types) is good, and your comments were appreciated...good luck in your decision. I am sure you will do what is best for yourself!! :)