1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

LA Times Article Tomorrow- WRITER NEEDS TO TALK TO APPLICANTS NOW

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mdhopeful, Aug 23, 2001.

1. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The LA times writer is doing a BIG Story on the AMCAS mess tomorrow. He needs people to talk to him about their situations. His email is [email protected] Please email him and give him your phone number so your view will be represented in the article. It's time to make AMCAS wake up!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks. I emailed him with the stipulation that any comments I make would be strictly anonymous. He probably won't call, but if he does, I'm going to spill my guts.

4. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    His assistant Ted just called me and I told him my story and touched on some of yours. I said you guys had some much worse incidents than mine. I also gave him a comparison on applying now vs. applying back in the paper and disk days.

Andrew

5. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Yea,
    The guy called me...but I told him I wanted to be anonymous on the whole situation...cuz he was asking about how many schools I applied to and everything...then he basically said that would be useless to him. I just don't feel comfortable going out on a limb like that. Ah well, my situation is not nearly as bad as some other peoples on this board. So go for it people..if ya want :)

6. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member

Attending Physician
    How would you being going out on a limb?

Andrew

7. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Going out on a limb...
    I don't really know...I don't want to publicly announce how many schools I applied to and where I have an interview and all this stuff. It kind of gets too personal at some points and it takes away the anonymity of this board.
    I have learned to check myself. I usually make VERY BRASH and HASTY comments and later look back on them and regret them. I could see the same thing happening. Just too much as stake to be a punk. I am not happy with the process so far...but I am not totally disgusted.

8. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member

Attending Physician
    ohhh... I think the only personal things I told him was where I go to school and my applying to 25 schools. I think everyone on this forum knew that anyways.

Andrew

9. Haiku

Haiku Member
    10+ Year Member

That was interesting. He called me and said, "You sound surprisingly calm about this whole thing." If I sounded calm, I'm wondering how other people were over the telephone?? My response--there isn't much I can do besides sit and wait. I told him that I submitted "late"--early August, compared to the planned beginning of June--and don't expect my app to be verified for "6-8 weeks." My biggest gripe was staying up until 3am after work ended and trying to log-on.
    --CS

10. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just spoke with the LA Times writer. Article is to appear Saturday on the front page. He said not to worry about any revealing information or quotes - no one looks bad, whiny, or anything like that. Some students are quoted and the Deans of some schools are quoted as very pissed off. Hopefully, AMCAS will get their act together. Thanks to all.