LA Times report on nursing board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Glad to see that a major national newspaper is reporting on the ineptitude of nursing boards. And these are the same boards that claim they can adequately monitor and discipline NP's? :scared:

Problem nurses stay on the job as patients suffer

Lives ruined -- and worse

Board takes no public action against some King/Drew nurses

Members don't see this ad.

Meh, few will listen because they are faithfully watching the news stories to find out where Michael Jackson will be buried. Incompetent nurses killing people versus a dead pop star. Priorities you know.

Its pretty unflattering to the Cali nursing board. Sounds like they need a big overhaul.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see that a major national newspaper is reporting on the ineptitude of nursing boards. And these are the same boards that claim they can adequately monitor and discipline NP's?

And all the doctors in the world are perfect right Taurus?? Especially those end all, be all residents who seem to think they know everything. I love how the story just causally mentions that the doctors SCREWED up writing the orders in the first place and then blame the nurse because she didn't double check them. Makes total sense.:idea:

And these stories of a handful of nurses are so totally applicable to all nurses and the profession as a whole. :rolleyes:

You should be a SPIN doctor because you clearly excel very well at skewing information in your favor. Your sig speaks for itself in the fact that you truly know nothing about nursing and nursing education. You must be miserably lonely and your attempts to draw other posters into your hate for advanced practice nursing is laughable at best :laugh:. Keep trying though (get mad Taurus, get mad!!), we're here to stay! WOOOOOOT. :)

And don't even bother responding. You're on my permanent ignore list now. :cool:

Glad to see that a major national newspaper is reporting on the ineptitude of nursing boards. And these are the same boards that claim they can adequately monitor and discipline NP's? :scared:

I missed that one because the story about the Tennessee doctor having sex with his patients was more interesting....

I missed that one because the story about the Tennessee doctor having sex with his patients was more interesting....

hey, it's tennessee.....even if he loses his license his former pts will still be related to him.....
just because you get a divorce there doesn't mean you can't still be brother and sister.....

I'm just a messenger. I'm not the one putting patients in danger by allowing incompetent nurses to continue working.

Think about it. These are the same boards that monitor and discipline NP's, who in some states can function autonomously and prescribe controlled substances. If they can't even regulate RN's effectively, how can they proclaim they can regulate NP's?

hey, it's tennessee.....even if he loses his license his former pts will still be related to him.....
just because you get a divorce there doesn't mean you can't still be brother and sister.....

Ha, ha, true. Guess they could get him for incest also.

I'm just a messenger. I'm not the one putting patients in danger by allowing incompetent nurses to continue working.

Think about it. These are the same boards that monitor and discipline NP's, who in some states can function autonomously and prescribe controlled substances. If they can't even regulate RN's effectively, how can they proclaim they can regulate NP's?
>
Thay can't. But why would you expect anything else from one of the strongest bully lobby's in the country. And as for you hoody hoodwink, no one that I know of wants advanced practice nurses to go away, just have medical direction as apposed to being regulated by a board of nursing. There is a HUGE difference between an NP with years experience as a critical care/PACU/ED/whatever nurse, and a direct entry MSN who's first job is covering nights as a hospitalist extender. The problem is that the nursing agenda would have you believe there is no difference between the two.

You wouldn't care to be the same messenger regarding how poorly members of your profession police themselves? Of course not. If you can't police your own, how can you possibly expect to take on supervision of NPs?

You wouldn't care to be the same messenger regarding how poorly members of your profession police themselves? Of course not. If you can't police your own, how can you possibly expect to take on supervision of NPs?

hey, it's not like a doc would ever prescribe medications to a celebrity just because they asked for it...oh, wait.....

Winner. :thumbup:

Can you point to me a 7 page expose in a major national newspaper on medical boards that take 4 years to discipline rogue physicians? If you want solid evidence on the incompetence of nursing boards, just read the article. It's full of example after example after example. Stop making excuses for these boards like some conservatives keeps making excuses for Sarah Palin. I know a train wreck and incompetence when I see it.

This is not the first time nursing boards have been accused of incompetence. Back in 2005, an article in a nursing journal made the same claims.

From what I have seen, medical boards are very expedient with monitoring and discplining. I had one classmate who was a year ahead of me who did something unprofessional and the medical board yanked his license immediately. When I read about other cases in the news, the boards again are very responsive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

One of the things you'll notice about arguing with me is that I can back up my arguments with evidence and links to prove my point instead of pulling things out of my ass like a lot of nurses do. ;)

Unlike you, I don't go around trolling and stirring the pot. And if I wanted to, I could post a myriad of links to articles about medical boards doing a lousy job of policing physicians;rogue doctor;incompetent physicians;etc. Don't act like they aren't out there. I'm not going to engage in tit for tat posts with you.

Unlike you, I am not an ass.

hey, it's not like a doc would ever prescribe medications to a celebrity just because they asked for it...oh, wait.....

No, that would never happen...at least not until the check for the retainer fee has cleared. ;)

One of the things you'll notice about arguing with me is that I can back up my arguments with evidence and links to prove my point instead of pulling things out of my ass like a lot of nurses do. ;)
Unlike you, I don't go around trolling and stirring the pot. And if I wanted to, I could post a myriad of links to articles about medical boards doing a lousy job of policing physicians;rogue doctor;incompetent physicians;etc. Don't act like they aren't out there. I'm not going to engage in tit for tat posts with you.

Unlike you, I am not an ass.

There is such a calamity of people arguing against each other's professions when there are a number of solutions that can be implemented. Doctor's complain that nurses are incompetant, and indeed it is true in some instances, and then again there are nurses who have seen ineffective physicians.

Doctors MD/DO's complain that nurse practitioners are taking over, or at least threatening, the primary care market. Stop complaining and so something about it. Here is a suggestion:

In 1961-1965 the PA profession was introduced to the medical establishment and to the general public. This introduced the "mid-level" practioner in many areas and since then the PA proffession has more or less flourished. I mention this as the first time a medical profession was created at a lower "tier" of clinical and educational training.

Physicians essentially start at the highest point in a terminal degree. The nurses since the 1960's have been moving up to their current terminal degree "the Controversial DNP"

If you truly want to fight back move backwards. Each medical school across the country should initiate a BSM Bachelor's of Science in Medicine leading to a liscenced limited scope profession called say a Registered Medic, or Registered Interternist, etc. and have them compete directly on bedside care with Registered Nurses. You would have the opportunity to teach them more science, give them what you believe to be more rigourous clinical training to move into whatever specialty is open to RN's at this time, AND dissuade the Nursing professions' so called "fluff" classes. (which by the way would be awesome, please any enterprising physicians out there this would be a godsend."

This would solve several things
1) There is a terrible nursing shortage. Since nursing seems to believe they can compete with physicians on the level of care in the terminal provider level, what's stopping physicians from taking control, or at least influencing, the bedside care of a patient?

2) This would open a tiered medical ladder that currently exists in nursing. Perhaps a BSM would be given priority for admission to a medical school after a couple years of clinical experience, or detract from intern or residency requirements.

3) It would provide an example of Nursing's monopoly over bedside care which actually exists! If the nursing profession has a problem with it simply file an anti-trust lawsuit against any nursing profession or organizaiton that restricts the BSM's duties. It worked for the Chiropractors!

4) Competition against bedside nursing would work to improve nursing education, and lisencing requirements and hopefully improve quality of patient care.

5) You could train them how you believe they should be trained.

Actually this is a pretty innovative idea.

We would need a liberal state to start the process in such as Washington or California, we would need to model nursing clinical rounds and develop a science curriculum that would prepare them more adequetely than nursing programs do. And we would need to contact the state and federal lobbyists to push for a liscensing protocol. Hmmm

Anyone out there want to try this, I would be more than happy to help develop something like this even for theoretical purposes. I have a BS in physiology and a BSN, with graduate level anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and pathology. This would be a most intriguing project! email me if interested...

board-members-bw-w-arnold.jpg

Schwarzenegger Replaces Most of State Nursing Board

by Tracy Weber and Charles Ornstein, ProPublica - July 13, 2009 9:55 pm EDT

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger replaced most members of the California Board of Registered Nursing on Monday, citing the unacceptable time it takes to discipline nurses accused of egregious misconduct.

He fired three of six sitting board members – including President Susanne Phillips – in two-paragraph letters curtly thanking them for their service. Another member resigned Sunday. Late Monday, the governor's administration released a list of replacements.

The shake-up came a day after the Los Angeles Times and ProPublica published an investigation finding that it takes the board, which oversees 350,000 licensees, an average of three years and five months to investigate and close complaints against nurses.

During that time, nurses accused of wrongdoing are free to practice – often with spotless records – and move from hospital to hospital. Potential employers are unaware of the risks, and patients have been harmed as a result.

Reporters found nurses who continued to work unrestricted for years despite documented histories of incompetence, violence, criminal convictions and drug theft or abuse. In dozens of cases, nurses maintained clean records in California even though they had been suspended or fired by employers, disciplined by another California licensing board or restricted from practice by other states.

"It is absolutely unacceptable that it takes years to investigate such outrageous allegations of misconduct against licensed health professionals whom the public rely on for their health and well-being," Schwarzenegger said in a written statement.

Board member Andrea Guillen Dutton, in a resignation letter Sunday, said she was leaving in frustration. "Certain ‘bad actors' are jeopardizing the reputation of the entire nursing profession," she wrote. "This deeply saddens me."

"I have fought to defend the integrity of patient care throughout the state by holding the negligent accountable," she wrote. "However, I have grown increasingly frustrated by the board's lack of ability to achieve its stated objectives in a timely and efficient manner."

Besides Phillips, the other fired board members were vice president Elizabeth O. Dietz, a professor of nursing at San Jose State, and Janice Glaab, a public affairs consultant.

Schwarzenegger's action Monday fills two of three vacancies on the board and replaces four of the board's sitting members – all of whom had been appointed by him. The two remaining members are Nancy L. Beecham, appointed by the governor in 2006, and Dian Harrison, who was appointed last year by Assembly speaker Karen Bass.

Neither Beecham nor Harrison could be reached late Monday, nor could any of the departing board members.

Schwarzenegger's statement said his "administration is dedicated to protecting public health and safety, and the new board will act quickly and decisively to achieve that goal."

Fred Aguiar, secretary of the State and Consumer Services Agency, said in an interview that the new board would be asked immediately to come up with a plan to eliminate the case backlog. "This plan needs to include how many more investigators are needed, how much that will cost. … I want to know now."

California Board of Registered Nursing executive officer Ruth Ann Terry (Liz O. Baylen/Los Angeles Times)The governor's decision does not directly affect the standing of Ruth Ann Terry, who has been the board's executive officer for nearly 16 years and a staff member for 25. Only the board has the power to hire and fire the executive.

Terry, reached late Monday, hung up on a reporter, saying, "We don't have anything to say."

But Aguiar suggested Monday that Terry and other staffers could be vulnerable. The governor "supports the new board in its commitment to protecting patients – and if that means cleaning house, including board staff, so be it," he said. "The days of excuses and status quo are over. It's broken and we're going to fix it."

The Times and ProPublica found that the board relied heavily on Terry and her staff. At five public meetings attended by reporters since November 2007, Terry never focused on the delays in disciplining errant nurses. Neither did board members, even though they must vet all disciplinary actions.

In an interview last week, Terry acknowledged that the system needed to be "streamlined" but blamed other parts of the state's bureaucracy for delays.

Early Monday, Terry and her assistant executive officer, Heidi Goodman, sent an e-mail to all board staff members encouraging them not to lose heart.

"Ruth and I are aware of the grim picture painted by this article," they wrote, "however, the board members, managers and supervisors know that you work very hard to carry out the mission of the board to protect the healthcare consumers in California and we appreciate all that you do."

Presented with the investigation's findings Thursday, board President Phillips, a family nurse practitioner and associate clinical professor at UC Irvine, said she supported Terry "absolutely – without question."

"The issue of patient safety is of the utmost importance to this board," she said. "It's not that we are ignoring a situation where there are delays. We absolutely are not."

Questions about the board's leadership were first raised last fall when The Times and ProPublica reported that nurses with serious or multiple criminal convictions kept their licenses for years before the board acted against them. As a result, the board now requires every nurse to submit fingerprints, which can be matched against arrest records. Renewing nurses must also disclose any convictions or discipline by other states.

In addition to the governor's action, the state Senate Business and Professions Committee, which has jurisdiction over the board, plans to hold a hearing next month to address the issues raised in The Times' article.

The committee will look at introducing legislation that would appoint an "enforcement monitor" to evaluate the board's discipline process and make recommendations, said Bill Gage, the committee's chief consultant. Such a monitor was appointed at one time to work with the Medical Board of California, which regulates the state's doctors.

Consumer advocate Ken McEldowney said the board members need to do more than just fill seats.

"The leadership is key," said McEldowney, executive director of Consumer Action, a San Francisco-based national consumer advocacy and education membership organization. "It just appears to me that they don't care."

The six new board members are: Ann Boynton, 47, of Sacramento, a former undersecretary for the Health and Human Services Agency; Judy Corless, 58, of Corona, a clinical nursing director at the Corona Outpatient Surgical Center since April 2009; Jeannine Graves, 49, of Sacramento, a staff nurse for the Capitol Surgical Associates and the Mercy San Juan Medical Center; Richard Rice, 60, of Imperial Beach, a former chairman of the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board; Catherine Todero, 57, of La Mesa, director of the school of nursing at San Diego State University and a professor there; and Kathrine Ware, 50, of Davis, a nurse practitioner for the Vascular Center Clinic at the University of California Davis.

These positions do not require Senate confirmation, and the compensation is $100 per working day.

arnold-schwarzenegger-the-terminator.jpg

And if I wanted to, I could post a myriad of links to articles about medical boards doing a lousy job of policing physicians;rogue doctor;incompetent physicians;etc. Don't act like they aren't out there. I'm not going to engage in tit for tat posts with you.

There are rogue physicians like there are rogue nurses. I'm sure you can find lots of stories about rogue physicians because rogue physicians make for a better 6 pm news story than rogue nurses. Of all the rogue nurses in that LA Times article, did you ever see or hear about them on the news? Probably not. In California between 2002-2009, 1090 nurses lost their licenses and 436 were put on probation. Of those, how many did you hear or see about in the news? Probably none. But nurses love to point out physicians because they make a nice juicy story on the evening news. I'm glad that the media is taking a more balanced look at nurses as well.

I have never read about a medical board that took 4 years to discipline rogue physicians, who then are allowed to continue to practice until their license is suspended. And I'm very widely read. These boards are critical to public safety because they are supposed to be the first line and sometimes the only line of protection for the public and when they fail it has grave consequences for public safety.

I'm all about patient advocacy and safety. I'm all about raising awareness. You should take this seriously too. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and people of California do. Don't just try to sweep it under the rug and pretend it wasn't a problem.

Like I said, if this is how they handled problem RN's, can you just imagine what damage rogue NP's can do to the public, especially when it takes 4 years to stop them?

Last edited:
I'm all about patient advocacy and safety. I'm all about raising awareness. You should take this seriously too. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and people of California do. Don't just try to sweep it under the rug and pretend it wasn't a problem.

And I thought California was the problem...

Taurus, do you ever have time to study your textbooks?

California nursing board executive officer Ruth Ann Terry resigns

Terry had been the appointed executive officer for nearly 16 years. A report by The Times and ProPublica found that the board often took years to discipline nurses accused of egregious misconduct.

By Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber

12:42 PM PDT, July 14, 2009

The longtime executive officer of the embattled California Board of Registered Nursing resigned today, a day after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger replaced more than half of the panel.

"It is with much sadness that I am resigning my position as executive officer of the Board of Registered Nursing," Ruth Ann Terry said in a one-paragraph e-mail message to her staff. "All of you are the greatest staff and I know that you will continue carrying out the mission of the board."

Terry had been the appointed executive officer for nearly 16 years and had been on the staff of the board for 25.

Terry's decision and the governor's actions follow an investigation published Sunday by the Los Angeles Times and the nonprofit investigative newsroom ProPublica, which found that the board often takes years to investigate and discipline nurses accused of egregious misconduct. The investigation also found that the board did not use tools at its disposal to learn about dangerous nurses or stop them from practicing.

In an interview last week, Terry defended the board's performance. She agreed the disciplinary process needed streamlining but blamed delays on other branches of the state bureaucracy.

Tracy Weber and Charles Ornstein, both former Los Angeles Times staff writers, did significant reporting for this article before leaving The Times last year and have continued to cover the issue for ProPublica.

Maloy Moore is a Times researcher. Doug Smith, The Times' director of database reporting, contributed to this report.
Reached Monday night, Terry hung up on a reporter. "We don't have anything to say," she said.

It was clear that Terry's future was in doubt after the governor fired three members of the board Monday and accepted the resignation of a fourth. The governor's secretary of state and consumer services, Fred Aguiar, said Monday night that if the new board supports "cleaning house, including board staff, so be it."

At five board meetings attended by reporters since November 2007, Terry never focused on the delays in disciplining errant nurses. She read her reports on accomplishments and staff promotions nearly word for word, and board members asked few questions.

Terry, a registered nurse herself, has a bachelor's degree from San Francisco State University and a masters in public health from UC Berkeley. Before becoming executive officer she was the board's supervising nursing education consultant. She also is currently treasurer of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, the trade group for nursing boards.

You really have no desire to have a working relationship with anyone other than your fellow physicians, do you? My guess is you're in a vile residency and you are needing to vent. Rather than be an adult about it and do it the way most grown ups here have, by speaking honestly and directly, you're displacing your anger by "kicking the dog" so to say, and taking your frustration out on a weaker and easier target--nurses. Maybe some nurse ripped you a new one for something in front of a bunch of interns and your attending; IDK. In any case, this amount of invective is truly disproportionate to the post. Not that we haven't seen you go off the deep end with hyperbolic posts in the past.

You need to get hold of your emotions in the very near future, kid. You can't go around being that angry over "the system." Besides, as I said, you have enough problems within your own profession that need cleaning up before you begin to attempt to address what's wrong with nursing. Take the rafter out of your own eye before you attempt to extract the straw from your brother's eye. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. "Hello, pot? This is kettle. You're black!" Pick any of these--they're more than apt.

Tarus I will put this simply, you obviously need it put this way. Rouge MD's exist and are nothing happens at all the BOM is silent, clearly your "wide reading" failed to cover Dr. Tiwari in bloomington indiana reused syringes , hit the papers in 2007 guess what still practicing. So do the world a favor study medicine and STFU.

New California nursing board members sworn in

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says 'the board must act decisively when we find out there is a problem' but he won't fund more staff. 'Money has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency,' he says.

By Michael Rothfeld
8:18 PM PDT, July 15, 2009

Reporting from Sacramento -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger swore in six new members of the state nursing board Wednesday, vowing to "weed out the bad actors" among the ranks of California nurses.

The governor abruptly replaced four members of the Board of Registered Nursing and filled two vacancies this week, after publication Sunday of an investigation by The Times and the nonprofit news organization ProPublica that showed inordinate delays in disciplining wayward nurses.

The governor's action all but gutted the nine-member board. Two people are holdovers, and one seat remains vacant. The longtime executive officer of the board, Ruth Ann Terry, tendered her resignation Tuesday.

Sunday's report found that it takes the board an average of three years and five months to investigate and close complaints against nurses, while many continue to practice despite complaints and criminal records, and documented histories of incompetence, drug abuse and poor care.

"The board must act decisively when we find out there is a problem," the governor said. "Incremental changes is not going to help. . . . It is unconscionable that the board has not acted faster."

But Schwarzenegger has not offered other concrete steps for reducing the delays. With the state in a budget crisis, he said he would not spend money to bolster staff. He also has left vacancies at top posts in the Department of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the board, and has put investigators that serve the board on furlough three days a month, along with other state workers.

Schwarzenegger said the board needs only the motivation to do better.

"Money has absolutely nothing to do with efficiency," he said, "to go in there and have the will to go and say, 'This nurse has committed a crime, and we are not going to let that nurse continue working on a job and continue stealing medication and continue taking medication while she is on the job or he is on the job.' "

The new board members, who sat around a table in the governor's office as Schwarzenegger spoke to reporters, are Ann Boynton, a private healthcare consultant; Judy Corless, a nurse from Corona; Jeannine Graves; a nurse from Sacramento; Richard Rice, a retired state official; Catherine Todero, a professor of nursing at San Diego State; and Kathrine Ware, a nurse from Davis.

Boynton said the new board would look at how to make changes quickly, including how investigators might better focus their time on the most critical work.

The governor "has given us a very clear directive to do everything in our power to minimize the amount of time that it takes for anyone to be investigated, for complaints to be resolved and for adequate personnel action to be taken," she said.

You really have no desire to have a working relationship with anyone other than your fellow physicians, do you? My guess is you're in a vile residency and you are needing to vent. Rather than be an adult about it and do it the way most grown ups here have, by speaking honestly and directly, you're displacing your anger by "kicking the dog" so to say, and taking your frustration out on a weaker and easier target--nurses. Maybe some nurse ripped you a new one for something in front of a bunch of interns and your attending; IDK. In any case, this amount of invective is truly disproportionate to the post. Not that we haven't seen you go off the deep end with hyperbolic posts in the past.

You need to get hold of your emotions in the very near future, kid. You can't go around being that angry over "the system." Besides, as I said, you have enough problems within your own profession that need cleaning up before you begin to attempt to address what's wrong with nursing. Take the rafter out of your own eye before you attempt to extract the straw from your brother's eye. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. "Hello, pot? This is kettle. You're black!" Pick any of these--they're more than apt.

I guess this is where the ad hominems and red herrings come out. :yawn:

What's the matter, fab4fan? Do you want me to stop posting information about an incompetent nursing board? Would you rather people not know about it? Would you rather have these dangerous nurses continue to practice for years?

This is a serious public safety issue. It's serious enough that Gov. Schwarzenegger decided to replace nearly the entire nursing board.

I don't make the news. I just report it. People have the right to know. I'm not posting this information for your benefit but for everyone out there in internet land. If you're embarrassed about it, it's not my problem. The questions I raise are valid. And I've raised them with the appropriate people if you know what I mean. ;) Like I said, there are rogue physicians like rogue nurses. I'm sure you can post names of physicians who did wrong things. Guess what, I got the names of nearly 1500 nurses who screwed up and either lost their licenses or got probation in a 7 year span in California alone -- and this is coming from a nursing board that took nearly 4 years on average to dish out punishment.

Last edited:
Trica Hunter's response

The Board of Registered Nursing is not an independent body. The board is
in the Department of Consumer Affairs. The Department of Consumer
Affairs was a "good government" idea of a former administration, that thought consolidating functions of different boards would improve outcomes. Just the opposite has happened. The Department of Consumer Affairs controls the Board's budget. The Board cannot hire without approval of Consumer Affairs. They cannot create positions without Consumer Affairs' approval. They cannot approve salaries without approval of Consumer Affairs and the department of Personel. The salaries for nurse consultants are so low they cannot fill the positions. More than half of the nurse consultant positions of the BRN and LVN Board are vacant. The BRN is forced to take the governor mandated furloughs for state workers (three days per month) while our money (licensing fees) just goes back into our reserve fund!
While I was on the board, the Department took away all the independent
investigators from the BRN and consolidated them under one department.
That means when you make a complaint against a nurse it goes to this
consolidated department which does the investigation and determines
whether the complaint is valid. The nurse consultants try to stay on top of the complaints, especially since the investigators are not health care providers and have no inside knowledge of practice. They do this beyond and above their job description. This is with half the positions unfilled. When the complaint is put together the BRN reviews it, and submits it to the Department of Justice. The complaint sits on their desk until they have personel or time to pursue it. In their defense the DAG's are paid as poorly as the nurses so they have many openings in positions as well. The investigators and the Department of Justice are independent agencies with case loads well beyond the BRN. In a press release from the Department of Consumer Affairs, they discuss how they will ask their Department of Investigation to prioritize the nursing complaints. They are also adding new investigators. They are also trying to improve their process. YET THIS ISSUE WAS LAID IN THE LAP OF THE BRN.
The LA Times, in their typical fashion of not getting the facts, have allowed 7 Members of the BRN and Ruth Ann Terry to take the "hit" for the failure of a system of government that does not protect the public. The BRN and Ruth Ann Terry do not control the Investigators, nor their budget, or the Department of Justice. They are "caught" in a system, that if they complain too loudly they will just be removed.
We are going to ask again for an independent BRN. IF we, as a profession, are going to take this hit then let us have the responsibility as well!
Let us control our budget, our investigations, and hire a DAG and judge to deal with our issues full time! It is unconscionable for the Department of Consumer Affairs to allow the BRN to take this hit. IT IS IRRESPONISBLE REPORTING FOR THE LA TIMES NOT TO FIGURE THIS OUT ON THIER OWN!

I guess this is where the ad hominems and red herrings come out. :yawn:

What's the matter, fab4fan? Do you want me to stop posting information about an incompetent nursing board? Would you rather people not know about it? Would you rather have these dangerous nurses continue to practice for years?

This is a serious public safety issue. It's serious enough that Gov. Schwarzenegger decided to replace nearly the entire nursing board.

I don't make the news. I just report it. People have the right to know. I'm not posting this information for your benefit but for everyone out there in internet land. If you're embarrassed about it, it's not my problem. The questions I raise are valid. And I've raised them with the appropriate people if you know what I mean. ;) Like I said, there are rogue physicians like rogue nurses. I'm sure you can post names of physicians who did wrong things. Guess what, I got the names of nearly 1500 nurses who screwed up and either lost their licenses or got probation in a 7 year span in California alone -- and this is coming from a nursing board that took nearly 4 years on average to dish out punishment.

Hysterical. If medicine doesn't work out for you you should seriously consider a career in comedy. I'm laughing.

What you shouldn't consider is a career in journalism. You don't report the news. (FWIW, other people are already doing a capable job of that.) You take news other people have reported and skew it to fit your agenda.

Again, you're going to need to learn how to work and play with others. I don't know what your trouble is, Bubble, but you'd better get over it soon. I hope you don't behave this badly IRL.

Someone please remind me of this thread the next time Taurus goes missing and I ask about his welfare and say, "You know, I actually sort of miss the dude."

Hysterical.
Completely hysterical. And the funniest part is that Taurus says he/she/it can't find anything on bad doctors and delayed punishments by the oh so perfect BOM, it's like HELLO GOOGLE, takes about 5 seconds for 100K+ hits. Taurus must think we are as stupid as he/she/it sounds or that we have as much free time to waste as he/she/it does, posting regurgitated links all day (must be nice!). :laugh:

How did someone so truly *****ic get to be a doctor? I'm beginning to wonder if he/she/it really is one....or just a self absorbed liar. The delusions and obsessions are obvious so I'm sure there is some sort of mental illness going on. Save your breath (and time!) fellow posters, Taurus is one head case beyond our help! :scared:

Well, all the spinning and emotions aside, the fact remains that rouge nurses are a problem. Many nurses cause harm for years before they are caught. Even when caught, many continue to work as they are able to obtain or maintain licenses in other states.

Yes, we can talk about rouge doctors; however, being in the clinicians forum, I believe it is proper to discuss the problems of nursing. While the OP may have another agenda, the concern is still valid IMHO.

Hysterical. If medicine doesn't work out for you you should seriously consider a career in comedy. I'm laughing.

What you shouldn't consider is a career in journalism. You don't report the news. (FWIW, other people are already doing a capable job of that.) You take news other people have reported and skew it to fit your agenda.

Again, you're going to need to learn how to work and play with others. I don't know what your trouble is, Bubble, but you'd better get over it soon. I hope you don't behave this badly IRL.

Someone please remind me of this thread the next time Taurus goes missing and I ask about his welfare and say, "You know, I actually sort of miss the dude."

+pity+

Would you like some wine with that whine?

i agree w/ paseo dn. i know for a fact incompetent nurses practice unfettered. i work with one in a ccu. she is dangerous, and frankly, im embarrassed to be in the same profession. and yet im proud to be a nurse at the same time, a real dicotomy. she has delayed recoveries for certain, but, afaik has yet to actually kill someone. nsg admin wouldn't do anything, so i turned her in to the bon. that was 9 days ago, i don't know how long it will take them to investigate, i don't live in calif.

i suspect that incpmpetent health profesionals exist across the spectrum, and probably include a similiar percentage of practitioners in any given field. the fact that the guy who changed my oil last week was incompetent doesn't forgive my coworker. the fact that a certifiably crazy doc in the next town, who has already had his liscense suspended and returned twice, just got arrested for stealing his PAs script pad and then shooting out the windows of his mistresses house with a bear gun, doesn't forgive my coworker either.

should the bom have done a better job with the wack job above sure. that wont absolve the bon if they fail to do something about the dipsheet i work with. the guy at jiffy lube didnt screw the oil filter down correctly and all the oil all leaked out, consequently the engine block cracked. i guess i can sue jiffy lube, but i haven't seen any lawyers on tv soliciting my lawsuit yet. ;)

Media Advisory
July 14, 2009

California Nurses Statement on the Board of Registered Nursing

Note Failure of Gov. Schwarzenegger to Assure Adequate Funding for Investigation and Enforcement to Solve Problem

The California Nurses Association today concurred on the need for improved enforcement to protect patients affected by the handful of nurses alleged to have found to have committed egregious misconduct that put patients in jeopardy.

But, CNA Executive Director Rose Ann DeMoro emphasized, "much of the responsibility for the controversy now swirling around the Board of Registered Nursing lies directly at the feet of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger who has systematically underfunded the board, tried to erode its authority, and has failed to respond to a known problem for months."

"First, it's important for California families to be reassured. There are 350,000 actively licensed registered nurses in this state who provide extraordinary care, mostly under trying and difficult conditions," said DeMoro. "These reports have highlighted a tiny handful of nurses who are the extremely rare exception, who if guilty, should be disciplined, with due process, in as expedited a manner as possible."

However, DeMoro called Gov. Schwarzenegger's decision today to fire BRN members he himself appointed, "basically showboating, which has long been this governor's trademark, giving the appearance of action he has long ignored."

Schwarzenegger is "largely culpable for an atmosphere of antipathy to regulatory oversight and public protection evident throughout California government, which leads to lax enforcement and also gives a wink and a nod to employers," said DeMoro.

She noted, for example, the report this morning of a hospital in Vallejo, a part of one of California's biggest hospital chains Sutter Health, which is exposing patients and nurses to swine flu by failing to provide nurses who care for swine flu patients with proper safety equipment.

Gov. Schwarzenegger, said DeMoro, "personifies the anti-government, anti-regulation, anti-public protection rhetoric that is so pervasive among some politicians. His administration has been lax in numerous areas of public oversight and protection, and proper funding and enforcement to assure public and worker safety.”

"Firing a handful of his own appointees now will not change that record, especially as he continues to target more state workers for furloughs and layoffs that will further impair the ability of our vital state agencies to assure public safety."

"The problem of slow enforcement of discipline cases by the BRN has been known for months. Yet neither the governor nor his Department of Consumer Affairs, which have authority over the BRN, have requested additional funding for investigatory staff to hasten the review and enforcement process. And even now the governor is engaged in a confrontation with state workers, putting employees on work furloughs which will even further slow the ability to assure needed action."

Further, she noted, Gov. Schwarzenegger has "repeatedly sought to further impede the work of the BRN itself by proposing first in 2005, and now again, to combine it with a licensing board that oversees licensed vocational nurses, which would limit on the ability of the board and its staff to complete the disciplinary review process."

It is instructive, DeMoro added, that the governor's "most high profile action involving nurses to date was his decision in 2004 to target the ability of registered nurses to properly care for patients by issuing an emergency regulation to suspend portions of the state law requiring minimum safe levels of nurse staffing."

That decision, later found by the courts to be illegal, and subjected to more than 100 protests by RNs, "illustrates the failed record of this governor on the most basic issue of public oversight and workplace safety."

Another expose! 4 pages long.

I'm glad that we have reporters who take this public safety issue as seriously as I do. Bravo! :claps:

Loose reins on nurses in drug abuse program

Some covertly get jobs and steal drugs for their own use. Regulators are slow to act, leaving patients vulnerable.

By Tracy Weber and Charles Ornstein
July 25, 2009

As the state begins overhauling regulation of California's 350,000 registered nurses, one of the board's most touted programs stands out as seriously troubled: drug diversion.

For years, nursing board officials have described diversion as a haven where good nurses can kick bad habits -- without losing their licenses or their reputations.

But an investigation by The Times and the nonprofit news organization ProPublica found participants who practiced while intoxicated, stole drugs from the bedridden and falsified records to cover their tracks.

Since its inception in 1985, more than half the nurses who have entered the program haven't completed it. Some who fail at diversion are deemed so incorrigible that the board labels them "public safety threats" (sometimes referred to as "public risks").

Based on a review of all nurses who faced disciplinary action since 2002, The Times and ProPublica identified more than 80 such nurses.

Dire as they sound, the labels do not trigger immediate action or public disclosure. Some nurses that the board considers dangerous continue to treat patients.

"These healthcare professionals may be in the operating room. They may be serving you when you're sick," said George A. Kenna, an addiction researcher at Brown University. "You just don't want that sort of person who's impaired" at the bedside.​

Last edited:
It's amazing how much work can get done when competent people are in the right positions! Now, just 49 more states to revamp.

Reform of California nursing board's discipline system shows early progress

Its practices -- under which nurses accused of assault or other crimes continued working as investigations lagged -- are being revamped after an L.A. Times/ProPublica report.

By Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber

October 11, 2009

After moving swiftly to replace the leadership of the Board of Registered Nursing, California officials are revamping practices that had allowed errant nurses to work for years after complaints were filed against them.

For the first time, the board is prioritizing complaints, moving first to investigate nurses who pose the greatest threat to the public.

In addition, top officials will this month get subpoena power to gather documents about nurses accused of wrongdoing. Before, some cases sat for months until outside investigators issued such orders.

The moves come after The Times and ProPublica disclosed in July that the board took more than three years on average to investigate and discipline even its most troubled nurses. Some were able to move from hospital to hospital despite accusations of assault, criminal activity or on-the-job drug use.

Within days, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger replaced the majority of the board’s members and the board's longtime executive officer resigned.

Three months later, statistics show early progress on the governor's pledge to reform the system. In the first quarter of the fiscal year that started in July, the board filed formal accusations seeking disciplinary action against 159 nurses, compared with 68 during the same period a year earlier, officials said.

Also in the first quarter, the board obtained emergency orders to suspend the licenses of six nurses, compared with none in the same period last year. The Times and ProPublica had found that California used such orders to stop dangerous nurses far less often than several other states.

"One of the reasons we got ourselves into the position that we were in is that we were satisfied with the status quo," said Brian Stiger, director of the state Department of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the nursing board and other professional licensing agencies. "That has changed. We are no longer doing business the way that we used to."

State officials say they hope within two years to reduce by more than half the time it takes to discipline nurses, bringing the average to less than 17 months.

That goal would require many substantive changes to take place, changes that await action by the Legislature, permission from the governor or votes of the nursing board.

For example, the board says it needs dozens more staff members in order to clear its case backlog and speed the handling of incoming complaints, but the governor has yet to formally request those workers. The Legislature has yet to fully consider a bill that would, among other things, suspend the licenses of certain jailed health professionals, revoke those of sex offenders and authorize a new computer system to better track complaints. And the new board has yet to propose a requirement for hospitals to report nurses they have fired for misconduct.

Beyond that, the nursing board is still subject to budget cuts and state-mandated furloughs even though it is wholly funded by the fees paid by its licensees.

"The governor kind of engaged in this charade," said Bonnie Castillo, government relations director for the California Nurses Assn., the state's largest nurses' union. "You've put all of this in motion and yet you're expecting greater oversight and enforcement with less people-hours and less public accountability."

Stiger said officials need to prioritize their workloads. In part, that involves changing the practices of the board and other state agencies that help investigate and prosecute its cases.

To keep cases from stalling at the investigative stage, the consumer affairs department has given the board permission to hire several non-sworn investigators to handle less complex cases and those that won't result in criminal prosecution. Previously, the board had to rely solely on a pool of sworn consumer affairs investigators who were stretched thin serving a variety of boards.

The nursing board also is taking over some responsibilities previously handled by the attorney general's office, such as preparing default decisions when nurses don't respond to accusations against them.

The state attorney general's office said it will quickly schedule hearing dates for nurses who are contesting their discipline. In the past, state attorneys would wait until settlement talks broke down to schedule a hearing, then wait months for the first available date.

Beyond that, officials are addressing other roadblocks that were "unusual and extreme," Stiger said.

It used to take two weeks, for instance, for the consumer affairs department to photocopy a nurse's case file so it could be sent to expert witnesses or others. Proposed disciplinary actions were allowed to stack up for a month or two before being sent out to board members for a vote. And just one staffer was responsible for receiving and logging nearly all new complaints to the board -- more than 5,700 last year.

Now it takes two days to copy a case file. Proposed actions are immediately sent out to board members for a vote. And a team of eight is helping to processincoming complaints and wade through the backlog, officials said.

Ann Boynton, the nursing board's new president, said she was pleased with the progress but acknowledged, "It is not something that we're going to be able to do overnight."

Boynton said she has been "close to appalled sometimes" seeing the amount of time it has taken the board to act on problems. "It reinforces to me, every time I see that, the need to ensure that that never happens again," she said.

More has been done to speed up the pace of discipline than at any other time in more than a decade.

"It's remarkable what a little sunshine will do to stodgy agencies that are stuck in the past," said Julianne D'Angelo Fellmeth, administrative director of the Center for Public Interest Law at the University of San Diego.

charles.ornstein@ propublica.org

[email protected]

Ornstein and Weber are senior reporters at ProPublica, an investigative reporting newsroom in New York. Their previous articles about the Board of Registered Nursing can be found at www.pro.​

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, forgive me for not jumping onto the everything is sorted in California nurse land wagon.

Did you read the article? They hired more people to process the compliants. They are still waiting for more $$$ to continue the process.

Looks like nursing boards are not the only ones failing to police miscreant providers...

http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=361764

Board promised to crackdown

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 8:15 a.m.

DALLAS (AP) -- A state medical board is allowing physicians accused of misconduct to keep their licenses as part of a broader pattern of tolerance for bad behavior, according to a newspaper report Sunday.

The Dallas Morning News reports the Texas Medical Board only revoked the licenses of two physicians at an August meeting, at which 131 doctors were disciplined. A handful of others were suspended or surrendered their licenses rather than fight.

The board announced decisions on four sex-related cases, including two doctors whom judges had already sentenced for crimes against children. The board allowed them to continue practicing medicine, but not with children.

The newspaper reports the board had promised seven years ago that it would "crack down on bad doctors" and that sexual misconduct would not be tolerated.

(Copyright ©2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I am also glad we have reporters who take public safety as seriously as I do.

Did you read the article? They hired more people to process the compliants. They are still waiting for more $$$ to continue the process.

No, he didn't read it. He's trolling again. Must be a slow day in the morgue.

No, he didn't read it. He's trolling again. Must be a slow day in the morgue.

I guess he didn't read earlier when the board said the governator wouldn't give them enough money to do their job. Funny how we can understand that and he can't.

I'll call Anderson Cooper on him to keep him honest. :D

If he can't keep honest, at least he can show him how to look hawt while he's misinforming the public! ;)

Oh Taurus, where are you?

Physician misconduct often tolerated, analysis finds
12:00 AM CDT on Sunday, October 11, 2009
By BROOKS EGERTON / The Dallas Morning News

Seven years ago, after a scathing series of stories in The Dallas Morning News, the Texas Medical Board promised to crack down on bad doctors. Patient endangerment would be dealt with severely. And sexual misconduct, one official said, would become "intolerable."

It hasn't turned out that way.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...edboard_11pro.ART.State.Edition1.4c107ef.html

Oh Taurus, where are you?

Physician misconduct often tolerated, analysis finds
12:00 AM CDT on Sunday, October 11, 2009
By BROOKS EGERTON / The Dallas Morning News

Seven years ago, after a scathing series of stories in The Dallas Morning News, the Texas Medical Board promised to crack down on bad doctors. Patient endangerment would be dealt with severely. And sexual misconduct, one official said, would become "intolerable."

It hasn't turned out that way.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...edboard_11pro.ART.State.Edition1.4c107ef.html

Oh snap, it compliments the article I posted on the same problem!

*MOD NOTE: Please refrain from calling out members.*

I am sure there will be ample time to discuss the most recent posts, as this topic resembles the plot of Groundhog Day, without the merciful ending.