Lab coat or suit coat to residency interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThreadMaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that when going to a residency interview one has to wear dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes but what kind of coat does one wear? Does it have to be a white lab coat or a suit coat? I'm not sure if this is a silly question but considering the fact that the interview takes place in a hospital and the interviewer might ask you to look at a patient (especially for IMG's) I always thought residency applicants wear lab coats to interviews although I'm obviously not sure about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely definitely wear a suit. If you wear anything other than a suit, you might get rejected on the spot.

I realize that when going to a residency interview one has to wear dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes but what kind of coat does one wear? Does it have to be a white lab coat or a suit coat? I'm not sure if this is a silly question but considering the fact that the interview takes place in a hospital and the interviewer might ask you to look at a patient (especially for IMG's) I always thought residency applicants wear lab coats to interviews although I'm obviously not sure about this.

please...don't be THAT guy...

medicine in a conservative field...you may not like it, but wear a gray, black, or blue suit...if you MUST be crazy then maybe grey flannel...you can wear a colorful tie, but make sure its not a rival schools color(regular tie...bow ties are for after you match)....white shirt, good clean shoes...

if your clothes make you stand out at your interview, its most likely in a bad way...not what you are looking to accomplish...

As others have noted, you are expected to wear a conservative dark suit, tie and dress shoes. Do not wear a lab coat.

I can't speak for all specialties but I don't imagine you will be seeing patients; after all, there are HIPAA violations to consider.

Residency interviews usually involve a presentation about the program, a hospital tour, and multiple interviews. You might attend Grand Rounds, M&M etc.

A dark suit? Does that mean that even a light brown khaki suit won't do? Does it also mean that a pink tie won't do either?

A dark suit? Does that mean that even a light brown khaki suit won't do?
Yes it does. Also, you should only wear light-colored suits during the daytime in the summer. Your interviews will be in the winter.

Does it also mean that a pink tie won't do either?
No, a pink tie is fine, as long as it's not ostentatious.

A dark suit? Does that mean that even a light brown khaki suit won't do? Does it also mean that a pink tie won't do either?

As noted above, this would be considered too casual and out of season. Save the khaki or seersucker suits for sipping mint juleps on the veranda with your grandparents.

As noted above, this would be considered too casual and out of season. Save the khaki or seersucker suits for sipping mint juleps on the veranda with your grandparents.

So something like this what be considered too casual?

.jpg

Last edited:

That would be fine... at least for EM.

Basically, go to a suit store. If the color of suit you are interested in is available off the rack for every size of person, then its an acceptable color. If they only have it in a few select sizes then move on to a different color.

Hagan-KTphoto-300.jpg

I think it is - a windowpane plaid in a light color is a casual look. However, as noted above, certain specialties are more casual. I think it best to stay with dark navy or charcoal for most specialties ie, go with the most conservative look.

I had at least one PD on the interview trail point to somebody wearing a light colored suit and go 'thank god, it's somebody breaking up the sea of dark suits I see every single year' - and this was internal medicine.

Gray is more than acceptable. Just don't wear green or some other totally outrageous color. Don't show up in a tuxedo, either...I saw this on the interview trail and it earned quite a few snickers from the residents.

I had at least one PD on the interview trail point to somebody wearing a light colored suit and go 'thank god, it's somebody breaking up the sea of dark suits I see every single year' - and this was internal medicine.

Gray is more than acceptable. Just don't wear green or some other totally outrageous color. Don't show up in a tuxedo, either...I saw this on the interview trail and it earned quite a few snickers from the residents.

which just shows you how unusual it is in IM...did the guy match?:)

Think about what you're asking. You want to look as professional as possible. Dress conservatively if you want to make a good first impression. You want to stand out because of your strong application and great interview skills, not because of the way you dress. Save your eccentricities for when you've already landed the residency spot.

Basically, go to a suit store. If the color of suit you are interested in is available off the rack for every size of person, then its an acceptable color. If they only have it in a few select sizes then move on to a different color.

Excellent advice. And wear a white shirt. There are actual studies (look them up!) that show that employers perceive applicants as more professional if they wear a white shirt rather than a colored one.

Excellent advice. And wear a white shirt. There are actual studies (look them up!) that show that employers perceive applicants as more professional if they wear a white shirt rather than a colored one.

I'm trying to find these studies and haven't managed to. Most of the interview advice I've seen encourages people to wear colors. Specifically blue. But not red or orange.

I did find one study which looked specifically at women's clothing. Apparently the most masculine option was less favorable than one which is mostly masculine, but still slightly feminine. And the authors proposed it was because the stark contrast between a navy suit and a white blouse may have been seen as too masculine for a woman. link

Law and business have done numerous studies of people's perceptions of clothing in hopes of steering negotiations and jury awards. there are lots of theories in terms of colors and jury decisions but I've never seen strong data. There is a notion that conservative dress is taken as more professional, certain colors, such as green, on ties are taken as negative (not sure why). The notion of the "power suit" -- black, charcoal or navy with a white shirt, red tie and black wingtip shoes, has emerged, and basically became the "safe" interview outfit. I don't know how much science there is in this, but this is what interviewers are geared to expect.

One more question, does one have to bring a stethoscope?

Look I don't mean to be overly offensive, but your posts consistently demonstrate that you have no clue how interviews in particular and the application process in general work.

Plus, from your other threads you've said you haven't even taken step I yet, so I fail to see the immediate relevance of these questions about interview attire

Why don't you pick up a copy of Isersons to learn the very basics of the application process, actually study for and take the USMLE, and then come back in a couple of years informed and ready? Then we can actually provide you with useful information and not answer questions that anyone with a lick of common sense would know the answer to.

Please wear the white lab coat. It will make you look smarter and cooler than your co-applicants.

For a woman, would a red suit jacket with a white undershirt and black pants/skirt be an acceptable choice, or is the red suit jacket too out there?

So far, my interview offers have been mix of academic, affiliated and community programs, and NOT the more conservative top 20 kind of programs (geographically constricted because of my husband's job; applied broadly in TX, OH, DE, MD, PA, NJ, LA).

Thanks for your advice :)

For a woman, would a red suit jacket with a white undershirt and black pants/skirt be an acceptable choice, or is the red suit jacket too out there?

So far, my interview offers have been mix of academic, affiliated and community programs, and NOT the more conservative top 20 kind of programs (geographically constricted because of my husband's job; applied broadly in TX, OH, DE, MD, PA, NJ, LA).

Thanks for your advice :)

medicine overall is conservative...blue, black, gray...still the standard and IMHO i would not go to far off that...women however have a little leeway with the shirt color (still wouldn't pick red, but...)

is there a reason you feel the need to stand out like that?

Last edited:
medicine overall is conservative...blue, black, gray...still the standard and IMHO i would go to far off that...women however have a little leeway with the shirt color (still wouldn't pick red, but...)

Nah, nothing in particular other than just liking some color over the monotone sea of black/blue/gray. I ask because I happened to see a red suit jacket in the store over the weekend that looked nice and had a cut I liked. Course, I'm sure I could find a more conservative jacket that I liked a similar amount, but I just haven't actually gone suit shopping yet since I don't start my interviews until mid-November.

Thanks for your thoughts. Others are welcome to weigh in as well if they want.

medicine overall is conservative...blue, black, gray...still the standard and IMHO i would not go to far off that...women however have a little leeway with the shirt color (still wouldn't pick red, but...)

Nah, nothing in particular other than just liking some color over the monotone sea of black/blue/gray. I ask because I happened to see a red suit jacket in the store over the weekend that looked nice and had a cut I liked. Course, I'm sure I could find a more conservative jacket that I liked a similar amount, but I just haven't actually gone suit shopping yet since I don't start my interviews until mid-November.

Thanks for your thoughts. Others are welcome to weigh in as well if they want.

Oops....for some reason I thought you were asking about the dinner the night before not for the actual interview. :smack:

A red jacket and black trousers is fine for the business casual dinner the night before.

The interview? I would *not* recommend a red jacket (which explains southernIMs incredulous or sarcastic response). Stick with a dark suit and add color with a blouse.

Appreciated! I can wait to show my "true colors" until July :p

Thanks again!

I elected to do a 'work day' instead of a typical interview at 2 places....should I wear my nasty white coat (can't even bleach some of the stains out) with very nice dress clothing underneath, wear a suit, or wear scrub pants and suit top?

But seriously, white coat vs suit. They're scheduled work days for IM. Morning conf, rounds, noon conf, then interview format.

Or...should I just contact the programs with an '...uh what do I wear?' email

I elected to do a 'work day' instead of a typical interview at 2 places....should I wear my nasty white coat (can't even bleach some of the stains out) with very nice dress clothing underneath, wear a suit, or wear scrub pants and suit top?

But seriously, white coat vs suit. They're scheduled work days for IM. Morning conf, rounds, noon conf, then interview format.

Or...should I just contact the programs with an '...uh what do I wear?' email

I'd probably wear a suit still. It's still basically an interview.

To OP, please wear your lab coat and bring all of your physical exam equipment stuffed in the pockets (don't forget to bring your peds sized stuff too). This will make it just that much easier for the PDs to realize that you're a complete freak and that they want nothing to do with you.

I sincerely hope this is a troll thread and not serious. Because if it is serious, then :rolleyes:

I matched in this suit.
41vLF01anRL.jpg