Lab Partner.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do when you are forced to team up with a beyond lazy, unmotivated, only want to copy works and not do their own, and totally drag you down because you are responsible for their works too lab partner........??

Members don't see this ad.

......do all the work yourself to make sure you get the highest grade possible. Life is unfair, big deal.

......do all the work yourself to make sure you get the highest grade possible. Life is unfair, big deal.

my lab partner is unbelievable, man.......i have never met such a lazy person before in my life, and how he passed into organic chemistry is beyond me.....he doesnt want to do anything except copy me and i have to let him do it because he's my lab partner, and he totally slows me down every time because he keeps on asking questions that he should already know if he had read the damn book and do the homework.......i'm almost always the last one to leave the lab because of him.........damnnnn..........why the hell do people even go to class if they're unwilling to learn the materials and expect others to do the thinking and works for them.......im sorry, just had to let that out of me.....:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you do when you are forced to team up with a beyond lazy, unmotivated, only want to copy works and not do their own, and totally drag you down because you are responsible for their works too lab partner........??

You suck it up and move on with your life.

Alternatively, you whine about it on SDN, thereby inviting mockery and scorn.

You suck it up and move on with your life.

Alternatively, you whine about it on SDN, thereby inviting mockery and scorn.

im not whining because whining is pointless........just had to let that out.........

I had a lab partner in HS that was a total idiot. He was taking the class for the third time, which he said was good for me, since he knew all the stuff. I took it as a sign that he didn't know anything at all, but whatever. Anyhow, I got out of being his partner pretty quickly because during one of the first labs he told me that he was immuned (sic) to heat and put his hand in the Bunsen burner to prove it. Needless to say, he got a serious burn and was banned from using lab equipment after that.

In my first semester of Organic Lab, I was paired with this partner that was terrible. During our first lab as a team, we had to set up a distillation apparatus. Well, as I got all of the equipment out of my drawer, he looked to me and said, "This is going to take a while, so why don't you just set all this stuff up. I'm going to go to my room and smoke some pot and then I'll come back and get the results." :eek: I couldn't believe it! When he came back he was totally out of it and got really mad at the littlest stuff. The same thing happened when we were doing IR's and he totally screwed up the whole computer program. The TA had to come over and try to fix it, but to no avail. We had to just wait until the next week to get our results.

The story had a happy ending, though. He ended up dropping the class, and at the end of the semester the TA unlocked his drawer to do an inventory of the equipment. I was missing something from my drawer that cost like $25, so I just took it out of his drawer. I figured that was the least he could do for making me suffer with his presence for more than half of the semester!

What you do is intentionally dick up the results he's copying, and the after he copies them you correct them. :laugh:

No, I'm advocating ethics. No one gets a free ride off my efforts, especially if it requires having to do math above what I learned in elementary school. :laugh:

work you a$$ off....you could also talk to the prof about it...see if you could switch partners...you could also try to motivate the person

make your own group!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just suck it up. It's one lab, for chrissakes. This is not the last time you're going to have to work with somebody you feel is lazy, unintelligent, and annoying. Get used to it.

It's so much more complicated than "just sucking it up." I can totally sympathize. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to split group work equally, being unsuccessful (not because you aren't trying to split the work, but because the other person isn't willing and/or is incompetent), and then busting your butt to get a decent grade for both of you.

Not that that's ever ::cough::lastsemester::cough:: ever happened to me.

My advice: talk to the instructor, but do your best not to come off as complaining. Make him/her aware of the situation, tell them that you're doing your best to work through it with your partner, and ask if they have any advice to help you better work with your partner. You want to make sure that it's clear that you're trying to work with the other person, and that you're not the one being uncooperative. Side note: this is a *great* answer to an interview question on a challenge you've faced.

i like having unmotivated lab partners because it makes me feel smart, and it also gives me the opportunity to reinforce what i know by teaching them.

I had a lab partner in HS that was a total idiot. He was taking the class for the third time, which he said was good for me, since he knew all the stuff. I took it as a sign that he didn't know anything at all, but whatever. Anyhow, I got out of being his partner pretty quickly because during one of the first labs he told me that he was immuned (sic) to heat and put his hand in the Bunsen burner to prove it. Needless to say, he got a serious burn and was banned from using lab equipment after that.

A guy at my high school wanted to see what would happen if he melted the tubing connected to the gas of the bunsen burner he was using to do the melting. No casualties, but flames were shooting out of the gas port until the instructer quickly turned off the gas. Surprisingly I don't think the guy failed.

Are you male or female? This changes the situation. If you are a guy, they he is just plain old lazy, but if you are a hot vietnamese chick, then he could be playing the "role" of the "clueless" guy who wants help from the "shy, cute asian girl" Trust me, seen it happen plenty of times and I am sure I am guilty of it myself.

next time go for the hot lab partner
but really come on, it's only lab

Do all the work, then don't let him copy.

Gunned.

last quarter of ochem lab, the most difficult class on campus, my lab partner disappears for two weeks (the two weeks prior to finals week). This course was intense, and during that period we were supposed to write a proposal, research how to make a product, switch off doing experiments (my lab period was MW, his was TTh), and do a final presentation the friday before finals week. My partner shows up the day before our presentation, tells me his mom died, puts his name on the project (I fall for it), and we do the presentation....

I did horribly on my finals because I was in the lab M-Th every day for the last two weeks of the quarter from 12-6 doing experiments. And that time doesn't include all the research and report-writing and presentation preparing.

I graduated last year. He did too. Both our families ended up going to the same restaurant for graduation dinners. I met his mom.

I started out writing this post to say "suck it up, there are others in worse conditions," but now I guess I'm just giving another sorry story.

humph.

last quarter of ochem lab, the most difficult class on campus, my lab partner disappears for two weeks (the two weeks prior to finals week). This course was intense, and during that period we were supposed to write a proposal, research how to make a product, switch off doing experiments (my lab period was MW, his was TTh), and do a final presentation the friday before finals week. My partner shows up the day before our presentation, tells me his mom died, puts his name on the project (I fall for it), and we do the presentation....

I did horribly on my finals because I was in the lab M-Th every day for the last two weeks of the quarter from 12-6 doing experiments. And that time doesn't include all the research and report-writing and presentation preparing.

I graduated last year. He did too. Both our families ended up going to the same restaurant for graduation dinners. I met his mom.

I started out writing this post to say "suck it up, there are others in worse conditions," but now I guess I'm just giving another sorry story.

humph.

Seriously, if I were you, I would have beat him up in front of his family. Or at least, gave him a piece of my mind.

im with dropkick murphy on this one.... i never thought i would be saying this.... ever