Lab position statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the10isplyr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was asking a professor at a medical school if I can work with them this summer and she asked me to turn in a CV, letter of recommendation, and page long statement saying [FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]why you want to participate in research, and what you would bring to the experience.

I just heard back from her about twenty minutes ago, so I'm still in the brainstorming stages of this but wanted some input from you all...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What is it you're looking for from us? If you're interested in her research, it shouldn't be a problem to give her what she wants. If you're not interested and just want research on your med school app, this is probably her way of making you work for it.

Incidentally, I had zero scientific research on my application when I applied. Wasn't an issue.

What is it you're looking for from us? If you're interested in her research, it shouldn't be a problem to give her what she wants. If you're not interested and just want research on your med school app, this is probably her way of making you work for it.

Incidentally, I had zero scientific research on my application when I applied. Wasn't an issue.

I was looking to hear just what kind of things you guys would be put in something like that. she is doing clinical trial based lab work, which is what I want instead of the typical lab work. The reason I want to do research, honestly, is because I'm pretty sure that a large majority of students that get into really good medical schools have lab experiences, whether I'd like to admit that or not. I'm actually aiming for UVa...

Members don't see this ad :)
There must have been a specific reason why you chose to ask that professor instead of hundreds of others that are available at that medical center. Use that as a start.

I was looking to hear just what kind of things you guys would be put in something like that. she is doing clinical trial based lab work, which is what I want instead of the typical lab work. The reason I want to do research, honestly, is because I'm pretty sure that a large majority of students that get into really good medical schools have lab experiences, whether I'd like to admit that or not. I'm actually aiming for UVa...

Sounds like you're doing it just for the application. Is there any actual non-medical school related reason why you want to work in that lab?

If you can articulate that, you can write that statement.

well i would probably write something about how interesting her research is...some specific examples. then talk about why it appeals to me. and then finally how in the long run this type of research - clinical research, is very unique, beneficial...etc (not only to me but also to medicine). not necessarily in that order though.

and in regards to having a lot of research before medschool, it might not necessarily be a good thing. my interviewer skimmed over my researches and asked why i didn't want to do md/phd instead.