Lab Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivenbyfaith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I was wondering does having lab research experience increase one's chances of getting into med school? I've been hearing conflicting opinions about this - some say it's okay to have but not significant, while others vehemently enthuse about it. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fairly standard. If you look at the MSAR, at most schools, 75%+ of the matriculants have research experience.

Hi all-
I was wondering does having lab research experience increase one's chances of getting into med school? I've been hearing conflicting opinions about this - some say it's okay to have but not significant, while others vehemently enthuse about it. What do you guys think?

It can only help you. Especially for schools that focus on research (top 20).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you WORK in a lab (at least a semester of research, not bio lab for a class) it might help. If you get published that is big, but otherwise the only thing that matters is any letter you get from your PI. Clinical research is probably more usefull, and certainly more interesting (this coming from a guy who has spent the last 18 months moving water from one tube to another in Boston)

If you WORK in a lab (at least a semester of research, not bio lab for a class) it might help. If you get published that is big, but otherwise the only thing that matters is any letter you get from your PI. Clinical research is probably more usefull, and certainly more interesting (this coming from a guy who has spent the last 18 months moving water from one tube to another in Boston)

Hmm, I disagree with that last sentence. I work in a lab in Boston, and I love it. I'm very involved in the experiments and I have a lot of responsibility. I interviewed for several clinical research jobs, and while you spend maybe two of the days asking patients questions, you spend the other three inputting data. In fact, one doctor I interviewed with told me I was overqualified and would be exceptionally bored. I guess it all depends on what kind of lab job you get - be sure you ask in an interview.

Thanks for your replies! I just recently (as in yesterday) joined a research lab that involves EEG Scanning of autistic children, but wasn't sure whether to continue. It takes so many hours, and I've never done lab research before so am really intimidated. As a psych major AND a transfer, I'm waay behind - I've just started my science courses, and two horrible quarters murdered my GPA. When will i EVER get to med school? :rolleyes:

in my experience i found it kind of useless, but it is nice for grad school

If you can't do it during school, take a summer to get involved in a lab, get started on a project and develop a relation with the PI. Then you can adjust your schedule accordingly during the school year to continue working on the project. Your particular study sounds interesting but I imagine it needs a tremendous amount of background to contribute substantially to it- there are first year neurology residents who have trouble with EEG's! If you're going to branch into something that new, make sure you have time to do it. But, in the end, yes, research- which shows some dedication- has a very positive effect on your app.

Hi all-
I think that unless you are applying to an MD/PhD program or a research-focused MD program like mine, you shouldn't do research unless you want to. You don't need to do it for most MD programs, and if you're going to be miserable doing it, then what's the point? Do something you're really passionate about. I think that adcomms are more impressed by passion for research than they are by the simple fact that you've done research. So if you don't have that passion, it won't help YOU very much to do research. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The thing is, I've worked with people with autism in the past although definitely NOT as young (mere infants!), but I really enjoyed the experience. And it helps that I looove babies! :) Haha It's just intimidating for me to finally land a position like this only to find out I am the only one in the group without any prior experience or background knowledge. I'll have to work doubly as hard, but I WON'T get discouraged. Everyone has to start SOMEWHERE.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The thing is, I've worked with people with autism in the past although definitely NOT as young (mere infants!), but I really enjoyed the experience. And it helps that I looove babies! :) Haha It's just intimidating for me to finally land a position like this only to find out I am the only one in the group without any prior experience or background knowledge. I'll have to work doubly as hard, but I WON'T get discouraged. Everyone has to start SOMEWHERE.
Well, when the next person joins the group, then you won't be the least experienced one any more, right? Just try to learn a little bit every day, and don't make the same mistakes twice. ;)