Lab Technique Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metastasis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently realized that if I knew a lab technique that was used in a passage for physical or biological section, I would be able to do the passage very quickly and with high accuracy. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a book that goes over different techniques for the two sections. I can go through my biology book, but I was really looking for a book geared towards the MCAT.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say anything about the Bio book, but the EK Orgo book outlines the main lab techniques very succintly - i.e. NMR and IR spectroscopy, chromatography, etc. I'd imagine the bio book would have a description of electrophoresis and the like, but let's hear from someone who has experience with their Bio book.

The Physics book doesn't have any, but physics labs generally represent a practical problem, so I doubt there's much to worry about here. I.e., in a physics problem you'd just be talking about charging up a capacitor, but in the lab you'd actually go and do it, but it's hardly a ground-breaking learning experience.

TPR also has techniques for orgo like you mentioned. However, the bio book doesn't. My undergrad cell bio goes over most of the techniques that show up, so I can use that. But I am still looking for a book that goes over the chemistry techniques. I know physics tend to be mostly real life examples.