1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Lab Technique Books

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by metastasis, May 5, 2007.

1. metastasis

metastasis Member
    2+ Year Member

I recently realized that if I knew a lab technique that was used in a passage for physical or biological section, I would be able to do the passage very quickly and with high accuracy. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a book that goes over different techniques for the two sections. I can go through my biology book, but I was really looking for a book geared towards the MCAT.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I can't say anything about the Bio book, but the EK Orgo book outlines the main lab techniques very succintly - i.e. NMR and IR spectroscopy, chromatography, etc. I'd imagine the bio book would have a description of electrophoresis and the like, but let's hear from someone who has experience with their Bio book.

The Physics book doesn't have any, but physics labs generally represent a practical problem, so I doubt there's much to worry about here. I.e., in a physics problem you'd just be talking about charging up a capacitor, but in the lab you'd actually go and do it, but it's hardly a ground-breaking learning experience.

4. metastasis

metastasis Member
    2+ Year Member

TPR also has techniques for orgo like you mentioned. However, the bio book doesn't. My undergrad cell bio goes over most of the techniques that show up, so I can use that. But I am still looking for a book that goes over the chemistry techniques. I know physics tend to be mostly real life examples.

5. metastasis

metastasis Member
    2+ Year Member

Anyone else??